bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Troubles in the Woods

Annie Hernandez

It was the first time that Annie was alone with Samantha and, for now, it wasn't bad... in short, everyone was silent in the tranquility of the woods... Annie still doesn't quite know what to do. Why do we have to check the woods and above all, why do I have to do it with a daughter of Athena? She didn't have it in particular with Samantha but only, for now, no daughter of Athena that she met she liked, that's all. "Sooo, what should we do? I don't understand the meaning of our little wood trip it..." he said in his usual detached tone to the girl with her, who was a little further on. Annie hoped that at least Samantha knew where they were, because her orientation wasn't exactly her strong suit.

It was the middle of the summer season and the temperature in the woods was very hot, Annie was already melting away, it wasn't her fault that she had minimal tolerance to any kind of heat... she was already pissed off about the entire situation. 

@ Samantha Adams

Samantha, upon hearing Annie's question, took a moment to internally gather her thoughts. She was surprised at the lack of seriousness that Annie was showing, considering they were given such an important task. Yes, they were in the woods, but these were not normal woods. These were the woods that bordered Camp Half-Blood, and in them could lurk any number of monsters waiting for an opportunity to attack the camp. Samantha's naturally strategic and mind couldn't understand why anyone, let alone another demigod, would not understand the importance of such a task. As a daughter of Athena she saw it as her job to stress the importance of strategy and precaution.

"Annie," Samantha began, turning to look at the girl. "The woods are a part of Camp Half-Blood's perimeter. The monsters that could be a threat to the camp usually hide here. That's why we are patrolling. It's not a 'little wood trip.' It's a task of super importance. We must make sure of the safety of everyone in the camp." She felt a little annoyed at having to explain this, but she also realized that not everyone was as strategic as she was, a skill she inherited from her mother Athena. She took a deep breath and started walking again, expecting Annie to follow.

"Yeah, sure, super important task... my super important task is not to pass out from the heat. Why can't it always be winter?"  she really couldn't understand all of Samantha's seriousness, it almost seemed like she was going crazy in a place like this in the summer and then with miss know it all in front of me which reminded her why they had come... then the monsters of course, not they were easy to take down, but in short they were in a field of demigods who were specifically trained for this.  She didn't understand what was the use of going around in the woods, if the monsters wanted they wouldn't have waited for their ride to attack.  "I get your point Samantha but, we're not exactly trained to fight monsters like that, we even play capture the flag here...".  If the heat and the complaining ahead hadn't stopped Annie would surely have done something extreme.

• Like 1

Samantha could feel the heat growing more intense, the sunlight filtering through the trees seemed harsher, and sweat was starting to prick at her skin. She had always been more comfortable in cooler, less humid climates, but she knew she had to tolerate it for the task at hand. She was trying not to get frustrated but the heat wasn't helping, she could sense it was getting to Annie too. However, the task at hand was more important than their personal discomfort. Samantha had always been more task-oriented, taking every mission seriously, whether it was patrolling the woods or capturing the flag. "Well, Annie," Samantha started, trying her best to keep her tone patient and understanding. "You're right. We do play capture the flag here, and that's a part of our training. Each game we play, each monster we fight, they're all part of our preparation. Yes, we are demigods, and we're born with certain advantages, but that doesn't mean we don't have to train or patrol. We can't always wait for the monsters to come to us. We need to be proactive, take the first step." Samantha paused, letting her words sink in. She hoped she was making sense.

• Like 1

Annie was listening, she swore, but the heat really was unbearable and, in short, she didn't want to tell Samantha she was right, the woods had to be patrolled but that couldn't be done, they could soon pass out from the heat and they wouldn't have noticed nothing. Annie then, by constitution, could no longer bear all this, she was not a hothead but when she became irritable there was something to worry about, she didn't want to ruin the work they were doing, but how to decrease the heat and at the same time stay focused on the important task? Idea.

"Samantha ok, listen it's fine, but then we should find a compromise, what do you say? I understand it and as you say "we will take the first step", but using some of those advantages we were born with..." immediately above Annie , also covering Samantha with its shadow a little further on, a candid white cloud began to form which sent down through the warm forest a snow that made it considerably cool that it could touch. The first snowflakes landed on Annie's hair, and she immediately smiled and felt better.

• Like 1

Samantha watched as a white cloud formed above them, snowflakes drifting down and landing on Annie's hair. A mixture of disbelief and annoyance washed over her. Although the coolness was a welcome reprieve from the heat, she couldn't help but worry about the potential consequences of this abrupt weather change. As a daughter of Athena, she always thought about the potential outcomes of any action. This sudden snowfall might seem like a good idea to Annie in the moment, but it could alert monsters to their location! 

"Annie! This heat might be unbearable, but that..." She gestured vehemently towards the weather cloud. "That is not our solution. It's a beacon for monsters, a giant 'we are here' sign." She crossed her arms, her frown deepening at the thought of their mission being compromised by such an impulsive action. She cast a quick thorough glance around, her eyes instinctively searching for any signs of unwanted company. "This is not a game, Annie!" Samantha snapped, losing her patience with the younger camper. "Turn it off before we're spotted....now!"

• Like 1

Maybe because she was younger or just because of her personality Annie felt irritated by Samantha's comment about her little bubble.  Now she was perfectly fine and she certainly couldn't bear the thermal shock that would have resulted from dispersing the cloud and, moreover, why on earth would she have to do it?  She didn't take orders and it didn't seem like such a big problem, urgh, Athena's daughters are too serious, responsibility this strategy that, ok but enough, never heard of improvisation? .

"Well Samantha dear..." he looked the girl in the eyes with a teasing tone "I have a question: Why on earth? I mean if monsters arrive we destroy them all but if you really care how about making it grow so that, too cold of the cloud, they don't get close. I mean never then what's your problem... you're too serious!"  Annie's temper seemed to heighten every word she said and this was perhaps one of the few times she had been screaming since she arrived at the camp, it was one of those things she had very much avoided.  The storm, without her realizing it, continued to build.

• Like 1

Seeing Annie's temper flare up Samantha took a step back, her grip tightening on her spear. She glanced upwards, her stern gaze locked on the growing storm cloud. The unexpected escalation was concerning, and Samantha could feel the tension in the air matching the energy coming from the cloud. “No, Annie!” Samantha shout back, her voice sharpening as her frustration and concern grew. “We do not 'destroy them all'. We're not invincible, and that's not a risk we should be willing to take. Monsters aren’t put off by a bit of cold. They’ve weathered far worse,” she continued. Samantha was getting tired of this reckless behavior, and tired of having to be the responsible one (at least she always assumed she was the responsible one, unaware that many just found her too serious and annoying). "If you don't get rid of the cloud, I will." She reached out, her fingers grazing Annie's arm in an attempt to cease her manipulation of the weather.

• Like 1

Annie was angry, but how dare he say this, urgh, god… she would get a headache, she could feel the tension in the air and the one with Samantha, but she wouldn't back down now, it was fine so and actually he almost felt like a good fight. She knew this could put them in danger, but they would be fine, right? "We are not invincible but someone will have to do it, otherwise why did we come here eh, in the end our purpose is this 'patrol' and if that means defeating some monsters we must do it not hold back, maybe we shouldn't have brought them here, but we would have them found com-" Athena's daughter touched her arm and she felt a kind of "crack" inside her head which for a few seconds made her interrupt the sentence, she knelt on the ground panting and sweat beaded her face even though it was cold, but she could feel what happened and looked at Samantha scared… "Hey, I-I think I lost control…". Annie was terrified as she turned to watch the storm above them continue to build. They were in trouble.

Samantha was concerned when she say Annie's face after sh had touched her arm. "Annie..." Samantha began, her voice softer, filled with concern. She had not intended to cause her any harm - her touch had been meant only as a warning. Samantha quickly processed their situation. Annie's powers had grown beyond her control, the storm growing in strength, turning from a hindrance to an outright threat. "Ok......We can deal with this. You have control over snow and ice right?. Just......just focus, okay? You were focusing on cooling the area, right? Do that again. Just try to bring the storm down to a normal snowfall." This was all very much outside of Samantha's understanding and she honestly had no idea what to do as she watched the woods around them turn from a hot summer's day into a winter nightmare with snow covering everything. She wasn't even sure where they were in the woods anymore.

Edited by Samantha Adams
  • Like 1

Annie was almost hyperventilating, she heard Samantha talking to her like you would a wounded animal, and somehow it was true, she watched in fear what she had created, because she had screwed up, gone too far, and couldn't fix it all . That was a real snowstorm and it shouldn't be on Long Island! She heard Samantha's words and froze as she realized she was scared too, they were alone in the eye of the storm. The trees, the wood, sought by her eyes for some quick solace were no longer to be seen. "I-I ... Samantha I don't know, I'm scared, I don't know what to do, I can't do it, it's too much for me ... and it's my fault, please I'm sorry..." and Annie tried, tried but couldn't, there her traumas were revealed. What she was afraid of and she stayed closer to Samantha, almost seeking comfort. She looked around, but saw nothing except Athena's daughter.

• Like 1

Samantha's heart ached at the desperation she heard in Annie's voice, and she couldn't help but feel partly responsible. Although they were vastly different, both girls were demigods. Samantha cleared her mind, attempting to find clarity amidst the chaotic storm. “Annie, listen to me," she said firmly, trying to sound as confident as she could, hoping it might help Annie. "We all have moments where our powers overtake us. The strength you have can be a double-edged sword, but I believe in you. I believe you can regain control." Reaching out, Samantha took Annie's hands in hers, hoping the physical connection might help ground the troubled girl. "Focus on my voice, okay? Breathe with me," Samantha instructed, taking a deep breath, mimicking the rhythm so Annie could follow. As the cold bit at Samantha's skin, she couldn't shake off the dread gnawing at her, fearing that monsters could be attracted to the sudden storm. But right now, all that mattered was helping Annie regain control. Keeping her voice as calm and soothing as she could, Samantha continued, "Imagine the storm shrinking, becoming just a gentle snowfall. Envision it. Feel the weight of the snow lessen. You've got this, Annie. We'll get through this together."

Annie couldn't think, her vision was blurry and she didn't know if it was the snow storm or her inner turmoil, she was scared and it all brought back memories of the past which, like most campers here, prefers to keep locked up. Her cold, trembling hands shivered with warmth though as Samantha took them between hers and her voice became clearer and that "listen to me" sounded like a clear, round command, well, Annie couldn't help but listen to him. She looked up and found his gaze, she was scared and Samantha looked scared too but the latter was trying to keep her self-control.... she does it for me her head thinks, and smiled at Samantha for the first time time, sweet and destroyed. "Ok I'll try." her voice became firmer and then she followed Samantha's instructions taking a long, deep breath. She tried to imagine a little winter snow, accompanied by her brightest memories of her, when she was little and played outside with her mother… and slowly the storm began to subside. "I think....I'm making it, Samantha!"

• Like 1

Samantha felt a weight lift off her chest as the storm started to weaken, the fierce winds dying down to a gentle breeze, and the thick snowfall reducing to flurries. The forest was blanketed in a thick layer of white snow, erasing all signs and paths. As Annie's voice rose in surprise, Samantha couldn't help but let out a laugh of relief. "That's it, Annie! Keep focusing," she encouraged. The gratitude she felt towards Annie for regaining control was overwhelming, but now a new problem presented itself.

Samantha, while relieved that the danger from the storm was over, knew that they weren't out of trouble yet! The world around them had changed, the familiar landmarks of their journey obscured by snow. She tightened her grip on her spear and started to look around, trying to identify any signs or clues. "It's okay, Annie. We'll find our way home," Samantha reassured, but her own voice betrayed a hint of uncertainty. "We just need to stay alert and not lose our heads." She started walking slowly, looking around the area for any trail or hint of the direction they had come from. Taking a deep breath, Samantha tried to recall the path they had taken. "We were heading north when the storm began, right? If we keep that direction, we should hit the main path.....I think...."

• Like 1

She kept her eyes closed until she was sure the storm had subsided, she was so afraid of not being able to make it that her hands were shaking ... she didn't feel the cold, but still she tried to reduce the storm to something comfortable for Samantha. When she no longer felt the snowflakes on her skin, she was sure the worst was over, and the rushing wind had turned to just a light breeze. And with the temperature she also felt her icy heart warm up for a moment, in that rush of joy she embraced Samantha in front of her, her skin still cold from the storm that had just passed, and whispered against her neck: "Thank you.. ." was all she could say, but she thinks Samantha would know she was sincere, deeply grateful.

Then she looked around her and heard what had become of her mh ... of her almost-friend of her speak ... they no longer had reference points for the path. The snow, which would take some time to melt, covered everything, well, up to a point. She took a breath and thought....way home, way home...she got an idea. But what if Samantha didn't approve? It was worth a try. She took her hands again, longing for physical contact for the first time, to understand that she was not alone in this, and she looked Athena's daughter into her eyes. "Look, I... I know how to get us home faster, how to find the path without risking getting lost but... will you trust me and my powers again, Samantha?"

• Like 1

Samantha looked into Annie's eyes, seeing the genuine fear and regret there, mixed with a desperate hope. She remembered the out-of-control storm moments ago, but she also recalled how Annie had listened to her, trusted her, and ultimately calmed the storm. Samantha took a moment, weighing the options in her mind. "Annie," she began, her voice cautious but gentle, "I won't pretend that what just happened wasn't dangerous. But I also recognize that you brought it back under control. And that took an immense amount of strength and focus."

She squeezed Annie's hands in return, feeling the cold from the snow and ice still clinging to her. "We are demigods, and our powers can sometimes be unpredictable. But we also have the power to choose our actions, to make amends, and to help each other." She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "So, yes, I'll trust you. But remember, we are a team. We have to work together and communicate. Now, what's your idea?" Samantha's voice was firm but filled with a newfound respect for the girl standing in front of her. She hoped that placing her trust in Annie once more would strengthen their bond and get them out of this predicament.

Important Information

Terms of Use