bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

The First Breath of Autumn

Alyssa James

Summer had seemed to linger a few weeks later than usual this year. The summer campers had long since gone home, but the weather had stayed warm. This morning, however, there was the first frost on the grounds. Alyssa went for a walk down to the Archery range. She had nothing better to do that day, so she decided to get a bit of extra archery practice in. Truth be told, she was contemplating whether or not she wanted to join the hunters of Artemis. All the girls her age were finding themselves falling in love and she wasn't sure that was something that interested her. Especially after the brief fleeting moment of attraction she had allowed herself to feel hadn't really panned out the way she had hoped in the end. She was a very go with the flow individual, and believed that if she was meant to find love it would happen in its own time. So she wasn't chasing it down the way her friends all seemed to. Unfortunately, that meant that she had a lot of free time when they decided that they were going to sit and gossip about their various crushes and who was dating who. Aly had no interest in that kind of gossip and was most content when she could actively do something. Whether that was reading, crafting, or trying to stay in shape.

She had just excused herself from one such conversation over breakfast and grabbed a bow from the armory to head out for some practice. As she arrived she drew up the bow and aimed for the first target. Her arrow embedded itself into the haybale just an inch or two away from center. Unfortunately that was far worse than she had been at the start of the summer. She could already feel herself getting grumpy that she had let herself grow distracted and lose focus. Hebe campers didn't have the wide range of gifts that some of the others had. Their mother was the goddess of youth. All that really granted them was flawless skin at this age. Everything else they had to work for on their own. No natural talents given. Sure, she could make someone else look younger as well, but it wasn't going to exactly help her in combat. As such, Alyssa took her training seriously. She wanted to be able to defend herself if she went out into the world. She was lost in her focus when someone else joined her.

@ Damien Dawn

The sun hit Damien just right as he sauntered into the archery range, casting an almost celestial glow around him. He was used to this effect; it felt like the universe itself was putting him center stage. Spotting Alyssa, he noticed how her arrow missed the bullseye by a few inches. His eyes lingered for a moment, not just on her arrow but also on her. She was a striking girl, and Damien saw an opportunity for a grand entrance. "Ah, fret not, fair maiden. Archery is an art form, one that I, Damien Dawn, have mastered," he proclaimed, lifting a bow from the rack and gracefully nocking an arrow. With a smirk that exuded self-assurance, Damien drew the bowstring and released. The arrow soared through the air, landing squarely in the bullseye of the target. "You see?" he declared, turning to Alyssa with an expectant grin. "Precision, skill, and a touch of divine flair, that's what it takes to hit the mark. And let's face it, I've got all three in spades." The words left his lips as if he were reciting lines from a one-man show, his voice rich with the music of self-admiration. In his mind, he imagined that hitting that bullseye had lit up not just his own world but Alyssa's as well. He felt as though he'd just given an Oscar-worthy performance, and the applause—silent or not—was rightfully his.

His eyes met Alyssa's, and for a moment, his thoughts drifted to what her impression might be. 'Why be modest when you're this magnificent?' he'd often say, but even he couldn't ignore the little seed of doubt that wondered whether his grandiosity could turn some people away. He quickly shook off that thought. No, Damien was a masterpiece in progress, a work of art that was more than ready to share its brilliance with anyone willing to admire it, especially someone as lovely as Alyssa. And so, basking in the light that always seemed to find him, Damien waited for her reaction, ready to further dazzle her with his spectacular show of skill.

• Haha 1

Alyssa jumped when she heard a voice. She hadn't heard him approaching so she was a bit startled when suddenly she heard his voice. Alyssa was fairly athletic, but she was much more of a hiking, rock climbing, and yoga kind of athlete than archery. She preferred hand to hand combat over weapons most of the time, so her skills with weapons were fairly rusty. Still, she figured if she was ever going to be able to go and see her dad, she should probably be able to use something made of celestial bronze someday, and if she joined the hunter the bow and arrow would be the obvious choice. However now, in this exact moment, she was starting to regret that decision. Not because of her skill, but because the last thing she needed was a carbon copy of Apollo, down to the egocentrism, trying to worm his way in under the guise of tutoring. It took everything in her not to visibly roll her eyes at his words.

Damien Dawn. It was a name that was known around camp. Sometimes highlighting his talents, and sometimes highlighting his self-aggrandizing manner of speech. Alyssa truly believed that everyone had redeeming qualities and that part of youth was making mistakes. That didn't mean that just because she could accept and understand someone being a bit cocky and arrogant, that she would condone it. Still, he hadn't done anything to deserve vitriol either just because she found his self-importance annoying. She would be civil until he gave her reason not to.

"Yeah... You being talented doesn't help me when facing an opponent." Alyssa said by way of dismissal. Taking a deep breath, she nocked another arrow and let it fly towards the target. It was a bit closer but still just off the mark. For a moment she thought she should call it a day, get away. But that wouldn't help her get back to visit her father. And that goal trumped most things. And honestly, how bad could Damien really be. Perhaps the stories she had heard from the other campers were exaggerated. Though, it didn't seem like it yet...

Caught slightly off guard by Alyssa's response, Damien's eyes narrowed for a moment. The atmosphere shifted, though his natural radiance seemed undiminished. "Ah, you're absolutely correct. Talent shines brighter when shared," he said, smoothly pivoting while maintaining his dazzling confidence. In his mind, he couldn't fathom why she wouldn't be more appreciative of his abilities, but he decided he could be magnanimous. He was certain his brilliance was universally captivating, yet here was Alyssa, challenging that assumption without so much as batting an eye. Annoying as it was, Damien found himself intrigued.

Deciding that the best approach was to demonstrate his superior skills further, Damien swiftly picked another arrow. "Observe my dear," he announced as he drew the bowstring and took aim at a moving target this time. The arrow whizzed through the air, hitting it perfectly in the center. "You see, it's not just about hitting a stationary object. Real skill shows when you hit a moving target." Damien's eyes flicked back to Alyssa, and his smile broadened as if expecting applause. "With my guidance you too could hit a target like that!"

As Damien watched Alyssa draw another arrow his thoughts wrestled with themselves. He had wanted to sweep her off her feet. The fact that she hadn't been immediately smitten—or at least outwardly impressed—both irritated him and piqued his curiosity. However as he stood there, he decided that she simply needed more exposure to his grandeur to realize his worth. "So," he said turning to her with a smirk, "Pick a target and I'll help you with some pointers. What do you want to hit?"

Alyssa just looked at him. She marveled at the audacity that he had to treat her like she didn't understand basic combat dynamics. Of course hitting a moving target is better. Does he think I'm an idiot? "You know I've been at Camp Half-Blood for a few years now, right? I know that the monsters will be moving. But you have to start somewhere." She said as she nocked yet another arrow and fired it at her target once more. This time it was just slightly too far above. She heaved a sigh of frustration. All her efforts and practice felt like they were amounting to very little. Much as she preferred to avoid the company of guys that were full of themselves, she wanted to see her dad more than she wanted to avoid Damien. And he was one of the best archers at Camp.

He took the time to demonstrate that by launching his arrow effortlessly into a moving target, square in the bullseye. At least it isn't all talk. Though, that might make it worse... "If I let you give me pointers, do you think you could tone down the self-ego-boosting a bit? I don't know who you think you need to convince of your talents or impress but... it's not me. I know children of Apollo are some of the best archers. And I know that even among them you're considered talented." She looked at him, set her bow down, and crossed her arms over her chest. "Let your talent speak for itself. Stop talking it up." She didn't know why he seemed so keen on helping her. Alyssa wasn't even sure that she cared why he wanted to train her so badly. And she would be stupid to turn down lessons from one of the best archers at camp. But the bragging had to stop. There was no way she could put up with hours of that during a training.

"I'm more of an 'actions speak louder than words' girl." She offered him a soft smile to show that she meant no ill-will. She was honest, but had no real reason to dislike the guy. Except that his self-commendation just rubbed her the wrong way. If he could stop that though, maybe she could bring herself to forge a friendship. Or at least deal with him long enough to tutor her. The last thing she wanted to do was actually upset him when he seemed to be trying to connect with her. "Why do you want to teach me, anyway?"

• Like 1

Damien listened to Alyssa's words, and for a brief moment, something flickered behind his eyes. The mention of Apollo and his lineage reminded him of his complex relationship with his heritage. Was he special on his own, or was everything special about him because of his father's divinity? Shaking the thought away, he replaced it with the familiar veil of confidence he usually wore. It was a constant struggle for Damien to distinguish himself from his father's shadow, to be known for his own skill rather than his lineage. "Tone down the ego you say?" he mused aloud, a challenging glint in his eyes. "Well, it's not often I encounter someone who isn't immediately taken by my exceptional abilities. You have an intriguing perspective to say the least." Repositioning himself behind Alyssa he decided to show her he could be both talented and humble; if that's what it took. "Alright, let me help you with that stance," he said, his voice softer now but still laden with a natural charismatic flair. Gently but firmly he guided her arms to the proper position and made a few slight adjustments to her posture. "Good archery is about more than just aiming. It's about balance, focus, and harmony," he explained. His words were aimed as much at himself as they were at her; it was a rare moment of self-reflection for Damien.

He stepped back allowing Alyssa the space to draw her next arrow. Now he found himself unexpectedly invested in her success. "Why do I want to teach you?" he repeated, contemplating her question as he watched her. "Well you could say it's a worthy challenge for someone of my skills. You've got potential, and I can't resist the chance to be part of your rise to greatness. Besides," he paused locking eyes with her, "it wouldn't hurt to add 'exceptional mentor' to my already impressive list of qualities now would it?" He made that last remark in jest hoping his softer smile implied so and he wondered how Alyssa would respond to it.

Alyssa shrugged at Damien's comment. "Consider me not your typical person, then." It wasn't that his abilities weren't impressive. That she couldn't deny. If he hadn't acted like he was the gods gift to the other campers, Alyssa might have realized that he was conventionally attractive. If he hadn't basically talked down to her like she didn't know anything about archery, she might have been willing to find out more about him. As it was, she was grateful for the lessons he was willing to give, but that was about all she could bring herself to be. "Takes more than talent to pique my interest."

Damien positioned himself behind her and she could feel his hands guiding her arms. His breath was warm against her ear, and Aly had to admit that she was finding it hard to focus. Regardless of his personality, Damien was still classically handsome and she was still a hormonal teenager. Her mind drifted briefly towards the intimacy of the moment as he repositioned her arms. When he finally stepped away, she took a deep breath to steady herself. She drew her arrow and let it fly. It landed in the inner circle. It wasn't a perfect bullseye, but it was a definitely improvement.

"By 'worthy' challenge, you mean that I suck?" Alyssa said with a chuckle. He was still arrogant, he was still cocky, but at least he was reframing it on how he could use his skill to help her, at least mostly. It was an improvement, no matter how minor. She would take it. She returned his soft smile. "Thanks... it, uh... it's important that I get better. That's the most improvement I've had all summer."

• Like 1

Listening to Alyssa's words, Damien couldn't help but feel a prickling sensation, as if his invincible armor had been scratched ever so slightly. "Not your typical person, eh?" he mused. "Well, you're in luck. I am not a 'typical' person either. You could even say we're both extraordinary in our own ways." He watched as Alyssa prepared to shoot another arrow, her stance now corrected due to his impeccable instruction. As she released the string and the arrow found its way closer to the bullseye, he felt an unexpected swell of pride. It wasn't the satisfaction he usually felt when besting someone; it was the gratification of seeing her improve, albeit under his guidance. "Aha! Much improved, you see? Your aim is getting better already," he said, not even attempting to mask his delight. "Perhaps your interest in skill and talent will become more...appreciative, shall we say, in the future."

Her words from earlier had stuck with him though—about letting his talent speak for itself. He'd never really considered it; his talent and his personality were so tightly intertwined in his mind. But watching her now, seeing her genuinely apply herself and succeed, stirred something within him. "You know," he said, his voice tinged with something resembling humility, "Talent is one thing, but the will to improve is quite another. I think you might have that will, Alyssa. And, in its own way, that's extraordinary." Alyssa had told him to let his talent speak for itself, and as he looked at her, finally making progress in her archery, he realized that sometimes actions did speak louder than words. Even for someone as verbose and self-assured as himself. "So, shall we try for that bullseye again?"

Important Information

Terms of Use