bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

She Really is a Funny Girl

She Really is a Funny Girl

Emberlynn Knight sat cross-legged on the grass, her eyes shut tight in concentration. Her shoulders rose and fell with each heavy breath. In...out...in...out... focus on the rhythm... She found herself repeating an old mantra she'd developed during her school days. It had always helped calm her nerves and steady her mind. The chant had come in useful before exams or backstage before opening night performances. And now, she hoped, it would prove useful for her current task. Focus... focus..... NOW! Her eyelids shot open, revealing a set of unnaturally purple eyes. They glinted like amethysts as the sunlight struck them, matching the flash of determination beneath. The girl leapt to her feet, extending a single arm before her. A soft purple glow emanated from her palm. It flowed outward a bit, covering her fingertips. Ember's eyes locked on the light, and she flexed her hand.

The light dissipated.

"Oh... gods damn it!" She let out a long sigh. Her prior determination faded, and she slumped back to the ground in defeat. "Why must it be so difficult?"

The first time Emerlynn had discovered her powers, there had been an unmistakable intensity to the situation. The heat she'd felt throughout her whole body, like an electric surge was rushing through her veins - she'd felt something otherworldly that day. Something primal and powerful, something she now knew she had access to.  In that moment, a blinding light had crashed down from the sky, brighter than anything the girl had ever seen. But now? Now, no matter how hard she tried to bring back that feeling, it wouldn't return. The electric charge was little more than static, and the most she could manage was turning her palm into a dull flashlight.

Maybe I ought to find another Scorpion.

At least that small light was getting easier and easier to conjure. She sat a little straighter, reigniting the glow to form a small ball of energy in her hands. "What do I do with this, Mom?" she wondered aloud. Did the goddess hear her? And if she happened to be listening, did she even care? Certainly she must care a little, having bestowed the girl in the first place. Unless of course it was some big cosmic joke. From what Ember could recall of Greek mythology, pranks weren't exactly uncommon among the Olympians.

Well, joke or not, she did have this power. It'd be waste if she didn't use it. So she'd just have to figure it out... somehow...

• Like 1

Much as he never liked to admit it... Axel was lost. Most days, the child of Nike could be found on the training grounds getting his extra practices in. In fact, he'd hardly taken the time to explore the rest of the grounds. Perhaps it was this very fact that had compelled him to go wandering today. But his lack of expertise did put him at a disadvantage. Namely that he had no clue where he really was - or how to get back. 

He was just calculating how far he must have gone so far in his head when a voice interrupted his thoughts. "Oh... gods damn it!" It was a female voice, and one he vaguely recognized at that. Not that he could immediately place it. It didn't sound too far off though. The next question was whether it was worth the embarrassment to track them down and ask for directions. Though the alternative was following his own internal compass - a skill he'd far from fully developed. With a mental note to practice navigation so it wouldn't happen again, he started moving toward the noise.

It wasn't long at all before he found himself in a clearing. It was a pleasant little area - might make for a great solitary training spot. That is, if it weren't already occupied. At the moment there was somebody there - a girl with multicolored hair. She must have been the person yelling before. Although now it looked like she had stopped cursing the gods and was standing with her eyes shut. She was mumbling something under her breath. What an odd person, he thought.

Still, there was something familiar about the girl. He'd definitely heard that voice before. And seen that hair. Right! It's her! How could he have forgotten that terrible incident? This was the girl who had chewed out Levi over bullying that other kid. Something he was a bit miffed he hadn't gotten the chance to do himself. Though when he finally got back at that jerk, he wanted it to be with more than a few useless words. I should say hello. Get directions. Perhaps brining up where he recognized her from would help break the ice.

"Hey, it's you! The chick with the weird hair and the loud mouth! Where are we?" He spoke in his usual blunt tone. He meant nothing by it of course, but the boy always seemed to pick the exact wrong words for any given situation.

• Like 1

In... out... in...

"Hey, it's you!" 

The sound startled Emberlynn, causing her to jump back with fright. For a moment the light she'd been conjuring flashed brighter than before. Perhaps there really was something to that scorpion idea... She had no time to dwell on that though, as her brain began to process the situation. The voice was no threat at all, unless she considered a boy about her age to be particularly threatening. It came from a ginger kid whom she hadn't noticed approach due to her concentration. He spoke rather bluntly, but she sensed no malice in his voice or demeanor. Lucky she was good at reading people though - many wouldn't take too kindly to being called "That chick with the weird hair and the loud mouth".

"If anything, you've a louder mouth than I!" She cracked a smile, taking a moment to examine the boy. He was athletically built, with bright red hair and a freckled complexion. Being so young, he reminded her a bit of a buff leprechaun - the thought of which made her stifle a laugh. "Loud enough to give me quite a fright at any rate - though I must thank you for the breakthrough. As for where we are - this is Camp Halfblood. Haven't you been to the orientation yet?"

Ember tried to place this guy in her mind. She could've sworn she'd seen him around before, but he must be new if he didn't know where it was they were. Though it had taken quite some time for her to properly transition to life here as well. Perhaps the poor boy was simply confused. No, wait... he had said he recognized her, even if he'd done it a bit rudely. He must've meant something else entirely. Quickly pushing past her blunder, she moved to a new line of inquiry. "And who might you be? You appear to know me, but unfortunately I have no such advantage."

• Like 1

The guilt that Axel felt over startling the girl quickly shifted to defensiveness when she began to speak. "I - I didn't mean it like that! And what do you mean I have a loud mouth!?" He instinctively lashed out, only to realize a moment later the irony in shouting that sentence. Way to go, Axel. Another great start to a conversation. But oddly enough, the strange girl didn't seem too perturbed. Actually, she was... laughing? Oh! It took him a moment to realize that she was, in fact, joking around with him. Or possibly laughing him. Best to believe the former until proven otherwise.

She might've been a bit on the slow side though, judging by her response to his question. "I know we're at Camp Halfblood." He tried (and likely failed) not to sound too sarcastic. "And if by "orientation" you mean twenty questions with the scary dude in the Big House, then yes." Axel was quite intimidated by the Aries cabin leader, though he realized this was his first time admitting that out loud. Were it someone else that may have been embarrassing, but there was no shame in acknowledging a superior warrior. "I mean where on the grounds are we? I... don't really know the layout yet," he confessed.

That was all he had intended to say, but another matter had gotten him curious. What was that light that had flashed in front of the girl when she'd jumped away? She wasn't holding anything, and it had appeared to come from her hands. There were all sorts of strange and wondrous things he'd encountered here at camp. Could this be another one of them? "Look - crazy hair - uh... what's yer name? I'm Axel. Anyway, what'd you mean by breakthrough? And what was that weird light just now. You got like a magic weapon or somethin?"

• Like 1

While the irony of his statement may have been lost on Axel, it certainly wasn't on Emberlynn. Her joking smile turned into a full-on giggle as she responded. "Terribly sorry - I meant no harm by it. It's just... well, you scared me for a moment there. I was attempting to concentrate. Didn't notice you at all until you were right there, you see." Her startled reaction ay have been excessively dramatic, but that was simply a part of being Emberlynn Knight. The daughter or Iris was anything but subtle. With her, every motion was complete, every tone precise, and every emotion clearly expressed in the most entertaining way possible. A true theatre kid at heart. This boy - Axel, he called himself - clearly wasn't the most subtle person either. Though he came off less flamboyant and more awkward to her.

"Right - I should have guessed." She'd known almost immediately that her response had been a silly one, but she had hoped not to be called out on it so directly. "We're a little ways out from the Iris cabin - my cabin. I come to this clearing quite frequently. It's a nice place to do some thinking, wouldn't you say? An excellent atmosphere and quiet to boot! Well, usually." Ember smiled again. If she kept joking with him, he'd have to pick up on it eventually, right?

It took him a while, but eventually he got to the actual introduction she'd been expecting. While he'd clearly known her by her hair and voice, it seemed he hadn't actually known who she was. That was remedied easily enough. "My name? Emberlynn Knight, at your service. The dragon-slaying kind, not the time of day. And what you just saw was my ability! Rather a pathetic showing of it though, I must admit." She cast her eyes downward, allowing her inner frustration to show for a moment. Ember hadn't shown her ability to many people. Only McKayla - who'd witnessed her moment of discovery - and her closest friend at camp, TJ. She'd wanted to develop it a bit more before showing it off to the general public. The fact that this was all she had to show for it at the moment irked her more than she would ever let on. Still a pair of fresh eyes on the situation couldn't hurt.

She turned out her palm, once more producing the little ball of light. "This is what I was concentrating on. I've been trying to make it bigger. Or at least make it different. Perhaps it might change color or take another shape? I feel that it can, I just... well I haven't quite worked out the details of how to make that happen yet."

• Like 1

"An ability!? Whoa..." The child of Nike was struck with a sudden pang of jealousy. He had been working hard ever day to keep up with and eventually surpass his fellow campers in combat prowess. But this... this was the one thing he couldn't fairly compete with. The boy had been blessed with the usual superhuman gifts of a demigod, alongside an exceptional talent with various forms of weaponry. Other kids though, at least some of them, appeared to have real magical powers. That girl Savannah could put people to sleep with just the sound of her voice, and there were rumors of an older camper who could literally raise the dead. No skill with a blade could compare to such gifts.

But until now, he hadn't really thought of them as something that needed development. Savannah had mentioned actively avoiding her powers, to the point where they inconvenienced her and happened when she didn't want them to. But Emberlynn here was trying to make hers work, and to make them stronger. He supposed not all powers worked the same way. There was something he admired though in this girl's approach. There was a determination in her voice that sounded all too familiar. He wanted to help her. But... how? It wasn't like he really had any experience to draw from.

Yet there was one idea that struck him. "Well, maybe it's like a fighting style, y'know? Like, you're focusing real hard on making it work. But if one style ain't workin' for ya, then you should switch it up!"

• Like 1

Sage was just doing her own thing since Loukas was probably sleeping this time of the day. The kisses they shared were still on her lips, it felt like. Touching them with her finger. She thought back to last day where they had made homemade pizza together. Both in chef hats and aprons it was a memory to always think about. The laughter, the messes and the kisses. Just the thought made this innocent girl blush as she walked on through the camp to see what the others in the camp were up too. That was when she thought she heard two campers sort of arguing or at least that is what is sounded like from her location. 

Turning she jogged a bit away from the cabins where she saw two younger campers talk....arguing.....fighting???? The question was still up in the air to her. Shrugging she walked towards them as she smiled hoping to find out what was the problem. "Ummmmmmm Hey you two" she said in her cheery voice. The investigator part of her wanted to just sit at a distance and listen but from what she heard there was something about an ability. "Is everything okay?" Sage was one that loved to find her way into many sorts of things. "You must be Emberlynn" she said to the girl with the beautiful hair, which reminded her of the girls mother...Iris. Then she pointed to the boy "You are Axel, MK little brother." Hoping she didn't freak them out by what she knew......well Sage had a case file on all those in the camp. With documentation on who their parents were and the known things about them.

Edited by Sage Roberts

"An ability!? Whoa..." The child of Nike was struck with a sudden pang of jealousy. He had been working hard ever day to keep up with and eventually surpass his fellow campers in combat prowess. But this... this was the one thing he couldn't fairly compete with. The boy had been blessed with the usual superhuman gifts of a demigod, alongside an exceptional talent with various forms of weaponry. Other kids though, at least some of them, appeared to have real magical powers. That girl Savannah could put people to sleep with just the sound of her voice, and there were rumors of an older camper who could literally raise the dead. No skill with a blade could compare to such gifts.

But until now, he hadn't really thought of them as something that needed development. Savannah had mentioned actively avoiding her powers, to the point where they inconvenienced her and happened when she didn't want them to. But Emberlynn here was trying to make hers work, and to make them stronger. He supposed not all powers worked the same way. There was something he admired though in this girl's approach. There was a determination in her voice that sounded all too familiar. He wanted to help her. But... how? It wasn't like he really had any experience to draw from.

Yet there was one idea that struck him. "Well, maybe it's like a fighting style, y'know? Like, you're focusing real hard on making it work. But if one style ain't workin' for ya, then you should switch it up!"

Before he could elaborate on what he meant, another girl emerged from the foliage. A cheerful sort, with golden hair and a wide smile. Axel didn't know her, but from the sound of it she knew him. Was he becoming famous already? He supposed that was his intention - one day. But for now running into somebody who knew who he was was a very rare occurrence around camp. She knew Emberlynn's name too though, so he couldn't really credit his own popularity. Unfortunately.

"Oh! Uh.. hi..." he stammered, unsure how to invite the new arrival into the conversation.

• Like 1

"Switch it up?" Emberlynn cocked her head, giving the boy a puzzled look. What could he possibly mean by that? How else was she supposed to develop a magical power aside from trial and error? It wasn't as though the camp provided training manuals. Heck, Ember didn't even have a cabin leader to ask questions about this kind of thing. "So, you're saying I should just not focus on making it work? And how, pray tell, am I supposed to do that!?" There was a streak of irritation in her voice. She wasn't angry at Axel, though it certainly may have come off that way. She was just frustrated. Frustrated that she couldn't get her abilities to work properly, frustrated that she couldn't grasp whatever the boy was trying to tell her...  frustrated that she had nobody to share in her frustrations.

Before she could apologize for the minor outburst though, another girl appeared in the clearing. She adressed Emberlynn by name, which struck her as peculiar since - well - they hadn't met. "Of course it's alright!" Emberlynn smiled brightly, instinctively masking her prior feeling with charisma. But... was that the best play here? It was a lie, wasn't it? Perhaps if she were to open up to the others, she might feel a bit less lonely. After a moment's consideration, she allowed the fascade to drop. "Oh... welll. actually no. I'm quite frustrated at the moment. That's neither of your faults though. Axel here was simply trying to help, and it would appear that you -ah - I apologize! You know my name, but I seem to be drawing a blank when it comes to yours! Who are you, might I ask?"

• Like 1

Sage was one that felt like she always made for such awkward situations. Knowing people's names before they even met or even putting herself into the conversation when she wasn't invited. Sage was in her mind wondering if she should go....the way the Axel kid spoke to her made her feel unwelcomed. Maybe he didn't know what to say too???? "Yeah sorry about that" she laughed nervously as she looked from one to the other. "I am Sage Roberts......Daughter of Athena" her face was relaxed as she hoped this would make them feel better. That was when her mind went to the other thing she said which was that she was frustrated with something...maybe she could help too.  "If you don't mind me asking.....what are you frustrated with? I mean I am a daughter of Athena so maybe we can put our minds to the test to figure it out." This could go one of two ways....one they tell her to mind her own business and go away. Or they could accept and work together as a team. Sage stood there looking at them waiting for an answer feeling her anxiety spike.

• Like 1

"Oh! Uh... Axel. Well, you knew that I guess. Sorry." The boy wasn't used to not having to introduce himself to folks he didn't know. Even the awkward child knew the basic conventions of a conversation. But the exceptions, like this one, tended to leave him floundering. "Sage. Weird name. I mean, not like, bad weird but... unique, ya know?" He smiled a sheepish smile, hoping his comments wouldn't come off as too insulting.

"Athena's the smart one, yeah? Maybe you can help better than me then." Come to think of it, it wasn't a bad idea at all. If anyone might have some new idea that could help their situation, it would be one of Athena's brainiacs. Axel hadn't had many interactions with that particular cabin, but had admired from afar their metal prowess. As a chess prodigy he was quite tactically-minded himself, but he got the feeling that any of them might be able to give him a run for his money. Maybe this Sage would be willing to play with him later... he shook his head, realizing he'd become a bit distracted.

Axel motioned toward the rainbow-haired girl, who was giving him an incredulous look. Was he really being that rude? Well, no turning back now. "Emberlynn here's got an issue with her ability. It ain't working right. I tried telling her to take a different approach but I don't think she gets it." Axel looked from Emberlynn to Sage and back again. "Go on, show her!"

He extended his hand the way Emberlynn had earlier, though sadly his didn't start glowing. He supposed he'd have to stick to the regular combat training. Giving the girl an expectant look, he waited for her demonstration.

• Like 1

"Oh, I'm sure she can." Ember replied, giving Axel what was indeed an incredulous look. Why was he being so rude to Sage? She was clearly ony trying to be helpful, even if the introductions had been a bit awkward. Ember was the type to give everone the benefit of the doubt, but her insincts in this moment went two directions. In one sense, she felt obligated to stand up to the boy for his insults. On the other, she'd like to beleive that it was all a misunderstanding and he truly did have good intentions. Were it only her, she may have leaned toward the latter. But there was someone else here - someone else he appeared to be insulting for no reason. That and her prior frustration left a snappish tone in her voice. "And what if I don't get it, Axel? Can you fault me for that? Or perhaps it is you who's failed to give a good enough explaination to 'get'."

She looked to Sage, her expresion changing a bit. What was she doing? This was no way for everyone to get along. She cast her eyes downward. "Ah... I'm sorry. There's no need for confict really. It's just... well, I'm quite frustrated. You see-" She extended her hand just as Axel had, only hers began to give off the telltale purple glow. A small trail of light followed as she waved it in front of her. "It's my... my ability, I suppose. I know it can be more useful. The first time I summoned it it was so big and bright, like the gods themselves were answering my call for help. But now I can barely make this tiny light. I just - I simply can't figure out how to access that strength I had before."

Ember let the light die out. "Axel's not wrong, I suppose. I truly don't get it. Perhaps a new perspective is indeed called for. Have you any ideas?"

• Like 1

Sage observed the two demi-gods in front of her, she couldn't help but feel a twinge of nervousness in her stomach. She knew that first impressions were crucial, and she wanted nothing more than to impress them and earn their respect. She listened intently as they spoke, trying to absorb as much information as possible while also considering her own responses carefully. She wanted to show that she was knowledgeable and insightful, but also humble and receptive to their perspectives. First Axel said her name was weird which she blushed "Well my dad thought it was pretty like the plant I think.

Looking from Axel to Emberlynn, were they now fighting because of her? "I didn't mean to cause a fight I just thought....." her words dropped as she hesitated wondering if she should just go away. "Oh okay...well then let's think then" her eyes went down to the ground. "So you fighting a monster when it appeared...have you tried to be attacked again or put a lot of pressure on yourself like you were in that fight....maybe it would do it again and this time you can figure out how it works." As the conversation continued, Sage felt a growing sense of confidence and pride in her own abilities. She realized that she had something valuable to offer, and that her unique perspective and insights were just as valuable as those of her companions. In the end, Sage knew that whether or not she had succeeded in impressing the other demi-gods, she had stayed true to herself and remained open to learning and growth. And that was a victory in its own right.

"I didn't mean... uh, yeah... it's pretty..." Axel stumbled over his words, realizing that he really had insulted the girl. It seemed she was nearly as awkward as himself. A part of him felt bad, as it always did, but another part of him simply felt frustrated. It couldn't always be his fault. People just didn't understand him. Something Emberlynn had said had struck a nerve. He wasn't explaining it well enough? For goodness sake - he knew that! Axel was never good enough, especially with his words. Why couldn't she just get it!?

The boy looked down to find his fists had clenched. Wait - was Sage right? We're they... fighting? Fighting... The flower girl's suggestion put a wild idea in his head. Sure, he sucked at talking. Perhaps he really couldn't help that way. But combat was something he was exceedingly good at. And if all Emberlynn needed was a bit of pressure, he certainly didn't mind providing it. Especially after how her words had made him feel. Of course he knew she could no more be blamed for that than he could for his accidental insults. But that little bit of extra motivation was enough to transfer thought into action.

A wicked grin flitted across his face. "Good idea, Sage! And better said than I could've put it for sure." Before the rainbow-haired girl had time to react, Axel stooped to grab a nearby fallen tree branch. He crouched into a fighting stance. "Maybe we should be fightin'!" With that he brought the branch down, swinging viciously at Emberlynn. Hope this helps, he thought. And if it didn't, well, at least he could say he tried.

• Like 1

"Fighting? But we're not..." Emberlynn sighed. "I suppose it could appear that way, couldn't it?" It seemed she'd truly made a mess of things, and in front of a new friend no less. "My apologies Axel, I believe I've gotten myself a bit too - WHAT THE!?!" She stumbled backward, narrowly avoiding the tree branch that was about to smack her in the nose. Before she could catch her breath, the stick came round and struck her side. It wasn't a forceful enough blow to cause real pain - at least though her natural demigod defenses - but it was well placed to further knock the wind out of her. Ember took another step back. Too slow. The stick hit her ankles.

This time she managed to regain her footing, finally getting a grasp of what was going on. Axel was the one hitting her. From his words it seemed he had taken Sage's advice extremely literally. "J-just... just what.. do you..." She panted, dtruggling to get the words out between dodging blows. She scanned for an opening, looking to put a bit of distance between herself and her attacker. It was a few more moments before she found the space to get the words out. "Oh for gods sake Axel!" She blocked another smack with her arm. These were actually starting to hurt a bit now.

"I doubt this is what she meant. Please... Stop this at once!" She gave Sage a pleading look. "Tell him, won't you?"

• Like 1

Sage's eyes widened in shock as she watched the chaotic scene unfold before her. This was exactly what she had intended with her suggestion, but she hadn't expected it to escalate so quickly. Her heart raced with a mix of excitement and concern as Emberlynn pleaded with her to intervene. She quickly assessed the situation, realizing that she needed to take control and guide the situation towards a productive outcome. "Emberlynn, I understand this may seem intense, but let's give it a chance," Sage said with a determined tone. Sometimes being uncomfortable is what makes demi-gods shine in the best way. It pushes them and then BAM amazing things happen.

"It's going to be okay Emberlynn....we aren't going to kill you. Just force you into a spot where it might trigger your ability." Her words were bold and confident. Not that she had ever done this before but she had a good feeling about this. Emberlynn had seemed pretty worried about this all but Axel was way on board. Then looking at Emberlynn in her eyes  as she could tell Axel was already in planning "Axel you and I should come up with a plan and not just wing it as she might get hurt." Her words were one that she hoped he would listen to. "Look if you want to trigger this ability again then we might have to put you in a tricky spot......you aren't alone in figuring this out...we can help if you let us." 

Axel made a strange face. It was something between a smile and a frown, but far too expressive to be neutral either. The thrill of combat had quickly faded when he'd witnessed how helpless the rainbow-haired girl really was. As much as he loved to fight, there was no pleasure in beating down a weaker opponent. Well, not an innocent one at any rate. Had he been up against an underpowered monster it may have been fun to display his hard-earned prowess. But Emberlynn was just a girl - an annoying girl - but a relatively innocent one in the grand scheme of things. Beating her up like this just felt mean. A slight sense of guilt rose with each blow, bringing back memories of his schoolyard days. He'd mostly been the victim back then. Now he felt like the bully.

But... this was all to help her, wasn't it? Guilt turned turned to anger as Emberlynn scrambled around the field. His strikes became a bit more forceful, a bit more precise. She asked for this. His clouded mind told him. She wanted help bringing out her powers. But she wasn't striking him back, she wasn't getting angry. She just kept giving that helpless look that made him feel like a horrible person. Yes, she was making him feel this. This darn girl was the source of his guilt, the center of his frustration. He raised the stick once more.

"Axel, you and I should come up with a plan and not just wing it as she might get hurt." Sage's calculated words broke the spiral. Of course... what was he thinking!? Well, clearly he hadn't been. Axel was normally an incredible strategist, a chess prodigy even, but it seemed some unresolved trauma had gotten the better or him for a moment.

"R-right! I wasn't gonna hurt her," the boy insisted. Though it was more a reassurance for himself than for Sage or Emberlynn. He definitely wouldn't have... right? Definitely not. "Why do you think I'm using this?" He waved the tree branch. If he'd truly intended harm, he would've drawn the dagger at his side. But that rush of emotion Sage had interrupted still ate at his consciousness.

Sage was correct though. They did need a plan. "She keeps dodging backwards. Come in from behind. Flank her!" He paused for a moment. "And uh... if I'm going too far..." He shook his head. He could control himself, surely. What Emberlynn needed was to be put under stress, not to see him holding back.

"You want me to stop?" he said to Emberlynn. "You'd best stop me then!"

• Like 1

So apparently Sage had meant for this to happen. Or something along these lines anyway. It wasn't entirely a bad idea - logically it made quite a bit of sense. Still, they could have given her a moment to collect her thoughts. And Axel certainly didn't need to take so much enjoyment in it. Well, actually... Ember couldn't really tell how Axel was feeling about it. Which was quite odd, considering her ability to read people was among her most prized and well-developed talents. But that face he was making was one she certainly hadn't seen before. Quite frankly, she wasn't even sure it was a human expression. It looked like every human emotion had been boiled in a vat and then splashed violently across his face.

Speaking of violent. Emberlynn yelped pathetically as the stick bore down again. This time it struck her left arm, leaving a red scratch that might've drawn blood had the weapon been any sharper.  "I wasn't gonna hurt her." He complained. Really now? she thought. Well you certainly could have fooled me. She really didn't like the look in his eyes. She leaned back, narrowly avoiding another strike. "And uh... if I'm going to far..."

"If you're going too far what!?" Ember managed to squeak out. How exactly was she meant  to stop this madman? Her ability of course, but... how... she glanced behind her, wondering if Sage would indeed make a move to block her exit. Axel stepped in closer.

Gods what do I do... Mom... help...

She was so focused on coming up with a way out, she hadn't yet noticed her skin had begun to glow.

• Like 1

Sage observed Axel's struggle, his conflicting emotions laid bare on his face. She understood his frustration and desire to help Emberlynn tap into her powers, but she also sensed his genuine concern for her well-being. It was a delicate balance, and Sage knew she had to guide them toward a more constructive approach. She nodded at Axel's acknowledgement of her words, grateful that he was receptive to reason. "Let's focus on finding a way to challenge her without causing harm," Sage suggested, her voice calm and steady. She analyzed the situation, her mind working swiftly to formulate a plan. "Emberlynn, Axel and I will coordinate our movements. We'll create controlled pressure to test your abilities, but we won't go too far. You need to feel the intensity and respond to it."

Sage moved closer to Axel and whispered to him, ensuring Emberlynn couldn't hear. "Keep your strikes precise but controlled, Axel. We want to push her, but not overwhelm her. We're here to guide her, not frighten her. Remember, patience and understanding will yield better results." That was when she moved to block Emberlynn exit. But then thought maybe she should tell her that she wouldn't let Axel get carried away. The boy was young so he seemed a little on the hot headed side. From the little she knew about Nike campers she didn't think they were as bad as Ares campers when it came to hot headedness. 

With a deep breath, Sage took the lead. "Emberlynn, focus your attention on me," she instructed. "Prepare yourself, and when you're ready, try to dodge my attacks while keeping your defenses up. Axel and I will work together to challenge you, but remember, it's a controlled exercise. We're here to help you discover your strengths." That was when she made her move towards emberlynn. If they could just get her to calm down and focus on fighting then maybe she would trigger her ability and find out how to control it! 

Axel nodded, allowing Sage to take the lead. Perhaps he was pushing her too far. Or maybe letting himself go too far... it was difficult to tell. It was hard for him, being a Nike camper, not to go all out in a fight. That may have been the reason his mind kept coming up with excuses to go harder. That, and the strange mixture of guilt and frustration that came to him when striking an essentially helpless opponent. He did truly want to help, but Axel absolutely despised bullies. The feeling of being one, even for a moment and even with understandable reasons, was wreaking hell on his normally levelheaded disposition in this fight. Honestly, he was glad that Sage was here. Whereas he had the drive, it seemed she had the plan. 

Still, he found himself feeling a bit defensive at her remarks. His strikes were precise and controlled. Sure, he'd gotten emotional for a bit there, but it wasn't like he was flailing wildly at the poor girl. He was, however, definitely frightening her. There was certainly no rebuttal for that particular accusation. He obeyed the blonde girl's instructions and paused a moment to analyze his opponent. The girl was staring at him with wild, purple eyes. Her hair, a mess of rainbow colors, was matted with dirt and sticks from being knocked to the ground. And her glowing prismatic skin was covered in shallow cuts and welts - his fault, he recognized with a pang of shame. 

Wait... glowing prismatic SKIN!?!

Axel blinked, nearly dropping his sword. Surely that wasn't normal, right? "Sage!" He called out. "It's working!" The Athena camper was moving in to make a strike. Had she noticed? He moved into flanking position. For the first time since the "battle" began, he allowed Emberlynn time to think. He stood there, half due to Sage's instruction, half mesmerized by the flickering rainbow light. Honestly it felt very odd. It was usually the objective to keep an enemy on their toes. But the blonde seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, so he decided to trust her instincts.

• Like 1

Sage's words seemed to have gotten through to Axel, as he had stopped lashing out at Emberlynn for a moment. Her heart still felt as though it would pound out of her chest, but she steadied herself and took a breath. Control.  That sounded right. Axel wasn't the only one who needed control. Though his remark about taking things too far did make her uneasy. She focused her vision on the blonde girl. She looked and spoke with such tactical confidence. This was a child of Athena alright. Perhaps with her help, if Ember was able to keep a good head on her shoulders... Yes. They could do this.

"Sage! It's working!"

It... it is?!?

Emberlynn turn her attention to the source of the claim. Axel had been calling out. That strangely mixed expression was gone from his face, replaced with one of shock and interest. She spun round again, looking from one attacker to another. Was Sage doing something? What was Axel so mesmerized with. Flustered as she was, it took the girl a moment to realize that he wasn't looking past her to view his teammate. He was looking directly at her. Ember finally looked at her own hands and immediately saw what all the fuss was about. A shimmering, rainbow light was surrounding her entire body. Iris had answered her prayers.

She took advantage of the moment she'd been given, thinking over just what she wanted to do with this gift of light. There were two of them, and only one of her. But knowing her mother's power was with her gave her a sudden burst of confidence. Bracing herself, she looked to Sage. "Ready."

• Like 1

Sage noticed the sudden transformation in Emberlynn's demeanor as she acknowledged her newfound power. The shimmering rainbow light enveloping her filled the atmosphere with an otherworldly glow. It was a mesmerizing sight, one that gave Sage hope that they were on the right track. She felt a surge of excitement and determination, ready to guide Emberlynn in exploring her abilities further. "Good," Sage replied, a spark of enthusiasm evident in her voice. "Emberlynn, let the power flow through you. Remember, to think about how this feels......I mean just take it in" she said stumbling through her words. She had never done this before!!!! It wasn't as if her own cabin had abilities like this, so sage was just using what she knew about it from her own studies. 

Sage focused her attention on Emberlynn, her gaze steady and encouraging. "Emberlynn, let the light guide you. Trust in your instincts, and remember that we're here for you. Together, we'll uncover the true extent of your powers. Now, show us what you can do." Then looking back at Axel, she tried to catch his eye as the two of them would continue to try and attack to give Emberlyn the chance to figure it out. "GO AXEL" she said as she moved in that movement with her sword. Sage was not trying to hurt Emberlyn but enough to give her the chance to use her stuff.

"On it!"

Axel took a step forward, wielding his stick menacingly. He moved much slower and more precisely than he had before, intentionally giving Emberlynn the time to process Sage's words. Trust your instincts, and remember that we're here for you. The first part made perfect sense to the boy. After all, it was his souped-up demigod instincts that had kept him alive up to this point. But the second part brought back a bit of that guilt he had been feeling. He hadn't been there for her. Not really. He'd been trying to for certain, but had once again gotten too wrapped up in his own head. Were it not for Sage's intervention, he may have even hurt her. Though that frustrated him too. what demigod didn't know how to defend herself? He hoped that power of hers would get her out of sticky situations, because her combat prowess left a lot to be desired

Stop. He told himself. With a slight shake of his head he quelled the judgmental thoughts. Emberlynn was annoying, and not a great fighter. But she was a demigod like him, and one with something he could only hope to have. Powers. A true, deep connection to their Olympian heritage. She was one of the lucky ones. If any godling could truly be called "lucky", that was.

"Alright!" He raised his tree branch for a slow, deliberate strike. "Stop me!"

• Like 1

With another deep breath, Emberlynn locked eyes with Sage. Lets the light flow through you... focus on how this feels... Right. Come to think of it, that warm tingly feeling that accompanied her ability did seem stronger now. When she conjured her small purple light, she had often found herself drawing on that feeling, pulling it up from her core into her hand. But thus far she'd only been able to conjure a fraction of the warmth she'd felt that day in the woods. Until now. She realized, under the pressure of Axel's vicious swings the feeling had grown within her. Instead of a tingling in her core, it felt like lighting coursing through her veins. How had she not noticed this before?! It had taken the analytical words of her friend to draw her attention to it. But now that she was fully aware, she was not going to let it go to waste.

Just what was that feeling though? How had it come about? She tried to think back to what had been happening when Axel first declared that it was working. He'd been smacking her around with a tree branch. Obviously. But what had she been thinking. Feeling. What brought about that surge of power?

Gods what do I do... Mom... help...

That was it! It must be. All thins time, she had been relying on her own sense of strength and skill to push out the light from herself. But Emberlynn's true sense of self was far from ideal. That panic and longing had forced her to cry out for help. And her mother had answered. She looked down at her hands, still pulsing with multicolored light. It felt as though it was waiting.  What do you needthe power seemed to ask. I need... She looked from Sage to Axel, who was about to strike her again with hat horrible stick. She could block him, but Sage would just as easily cut her off from escape. I need to be in two places at once.

As if in answer, the light changed form. It swirled around her and let out a blinding flash. Ember dropped to the ground, rolling away from Axel's attack. But instead of trailing her as he normally would, his eyes remained on the spot where she had just been. Well, where she still was to the outside eye. In that brief moment there was not one, but three Emberlynn's. The real one who had managed to roll past her attacker, and two illusions facing her opponents. They were stiff, identical, and a bit fuzzy. Nothing that would fool a trained eye for more than a second. But a second was all she needed. As Axel bore down on the illusion, she grabbed his sword arm from behind. She used his own momentum against him, forcing him to drop the stick. She placed her foot on it and grinned.

Both illusions vanished in an instant. "Good gods, did you see that!?!" her voice swelled with excitement. 

• Like 1

Sage watched in awe as Emberlynn unleashed her newfound power, creating illusory duplicates and skillfully disarming Axel. The expressions of shock and excitement on Emberlynn's face mirrored her own emotions. It was a moment of triumph, a breakthrough that held the promise of unlocking even greater abilities within the young demigod. "Emberlynn, that was incredible!" Sage exclaimed, unable to contain her enthusiasm. "You used your powers so creatively and effectively. Your illusions caught Axel off guard, and you turned the tables in an instant!" Sage glanced at Axel as she laughed with excitement. It was a testament to Emberlynn's growth and the potential that lay within her.

"Emberlynn, you have a unique talent, a true gift," Sage continued, her voice filled with admiration. "With practice and honing your skills, you'll be able to harness this power even further. Together, we'll help you explore the depths of your abilities and become an even stronger demigod." Sage's mind raced with possibilities as she considered the applications of Emberlynn's illusions. They could provide invaluable assistance in battles, strategizing, and even gathering information. The future held endless potential, and Sage was eager to guide Emberlynn on this journey of self-discovery and empowerment. "But for now, let's celebrate this achievement," Sage said with a warm smile. "You've proven that you are a force to be reckoned with, Emberlynn. I'm proud of you. We'll continue training and refining your powers, but today, let's take a moment to acknowledge how far you've come."

Important Information

Terms of Use