bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Let's Make Something New

Let's Make Something New

@ Petal Price

The craft tent was unusually empty today. The place wasn't exactly a hub of activity on a normal day, to be fair. But usually there were a few campers present. The Hephaestus kids working on their various contraptions, the Apollo campers drawing out their poems in fancy calligraphy... none had come to this place today. Only a small girl with wild hair sat toward the center of the tent, staring intently at a large blank canvas.

Emberlynn Knight was the girl in question. It wasn't odd to find her here - she was known for her love of personal expression - but it was odd to see her sitting so still. The canvas seemed to stare back at her, looming over her in all its emptiness. She raised her brush to the wall of white, drawing nearly close enough to mark it. Then her brush would drop and she'd cock her head, as if another perspective might be needed. What to do... what to do... Ember couldn't tell if the Muses had abandoned her or simply overloaded her with information. A thousand ideas swirled in her mind, but none seemed quite right.

The girl sighed, spinning the paintbrush around in her hand. "What a strangely quiet day... how in the world am I supposed to draw inspiration from this?" Yes, that must be it! The child of Iris was vastly creative, but she thrived most when she could draw from people around her. It was the dull loneliness of the place that was stifling her - that must be the issue! She stood and stretched, looking about for something, anything to break the odd mood. She tried a few things herself - tapping her foot, humming a tune - but it just wasn't having the same effect.

"Oh bother..." She looked to the ceiling of the tent, or rather past it toward the heavens above. "Well, you're always there, are you not mother? Would it be too much to ask for a playmate?" Of course it was. It was absolutely ridiculous to expect a goddess to even hear such a mundane request, much less respond. Still, she found herself looking hopefully at the entrance.  

• Like 1

Petal had been wandering around camp, searching for some sort of distraction, when she saw Emberlynn in the craft tent. She watched her half-sister for a moment from the entrance, taking in the unusual sight of Emberlynn sitting so still. There was a sense of calmness and concentration around her that was rare to see. Petal, being the free-spirited and energetic child of Iris that she was, couldn't help but feel a bit restless observing Emberlynn's quiet contemplation. She was used to the constant flurry of activities and people at camp, and the emptiness of the craft tent felt oddly disquieting to her. Hearing Emberlynn's wish for a playmate, Petal saw an opportunity. An impish grin spread across her face as she recognized that this could be a chance for her to get to know her half-sister better. She loved meeting new people and making new friends, and the fact that Emberlynn was her sister only made her more excited. She took a deep breath, her heart pounding with anticipation and a touch of nervousness. She wasn't sure how Emberlynn would react, but she was determined to try anyway.

Stepping into the tent, she approached Emberlynn with a cheerful bounce in her step. "Hey there, Emberlynn!" Petal called out, her voice full of enthusiasm. "You look like you could use some company, and I just happen to be in the market for some art inspiration myself." She glanced at the blank canvas, trying to imagine what Emberlynn might be planning to create.

Petal felt a twinge of anxiety as she waited for Emberlynn's response. She hoped her sudden appearance wouldn't be seen as an intrusion. But at the same time, she was excited about the possibility of spending time with her half-sister and potentially even collaborating on a piece of art. She felt a rush of anticipation for what could come next, her mind already racing with a whirlwind of colorful ideas. After all, as a child of Iris, she had always been drawn to color and creativity. And she was more than ready to embrace this new adventure, no matter where it might lead.

And just like that, her prayers were answered. Maybe the gods were listening after all. "Oh, hello!" Emberlynn cheerfully greeted the new arrival. "It's Petal, isn't it?"

The girl instantly recognized her newfound half-sister from the claiming. She'd been estatic when Iris had claimed another child at the bonfire - quite frankly Ember had begun to feel like she'd be alone in the cabin forever. Yet up until now, she hadn't actually gotten the opportunity it interact with Petal. Suddenly the empty tent felt like less of a tradgedy and more of an opportunity. It gave them space to get to know wach other!

"I certainly could - use the company that is!" The gril grinned, tossing her multicolored hair over one shoulder. "I simply haven't a clue what to work on today. Or perhaps I should say I have too many clues. You know how it is I'm sure. It's such a strugle to pick only one idea." Ember motioned toward the empty canvas. That was the beautiful thing about an empty canvas. It could be turned into anything one desired. But that openness was also its' greatest curse. If anyone could understand, she assumed, it would be another child of Iris.

"We haven't gotten much of a chance to talk yet," the young camper admitted. "How are you liking camp so far? I must say I found it all quite overwhelming at first but it certainly isn't without its charms!"

• Like 1

As Emberlynn welcomed her, Petal's heart leapt with joy. She could feel the energy bubbling up inside her, a vibrant rush of color and emotion that was a familiar sensation for the energetic child of Iris. This was exactly the kind of response she'd been hoping for. "Yes it's Petal!" she replied with a bright grin. "I've been loving camp so far. It's a little crazy sometimes, but I love all the excitement and creativity around here." Petal's mind was already spinning with a whirlwind of ideas that she was eager to share. "Oh, I totally get what you mean about too many ideas," she said as her eyes sparkled with excitement. "Sometimes my mind feels like a rainbow that's spinning so fast it's all just a blur of colors." She laughed as she considered the blank canvas before them.

She tried to calm herself as she thought of the many different possibilities that could fill the blank canvases before them. "What if we painted something really crazy and colorful?" she suggested. "Like a forest, but instead of green trees they're all different colors. And the sky could be pink and purple and the ground could be bright blue. Or maybe a city, but all the buildings are neon colors and there's a rainbow stretching across the sky!" Petal's hands were gesturing wildly as she spoke, her words painting a picture in the air. She could already see the vibrant colors in her mind's eye. She knew they were a bit of a wild ideas, but she was a child of Iris after all. Color and creativity were in her blood of course. "Orrrrrrrrr we could do something else if you want??" she added quickly not wanting to sound like she was imposing her ideas on Emberlynn. "I'm just throwing out some ideas. What do you think?"

"It's certainly exciting!" Emberlynn laughed. Petal spoke with an infectious excitement, one that Ember herself had long been known for. It was funny really... they had only just met these past few months at camp. Yet she already felt more like a sister than any of her adoptive family members. Perhaps their truly was something to be said of genetic nature. Or did that only apply to demigods? Either way, it was extremely refreshing. Between longing for her friend and struggling her newfound abilities, Ember hadn't felt that sense of family in what seemed like forever. Sitting here with her half-sister, she was beginning to feel like her old self again.

"I didn't think telepathy was among our potential abilities," she joked. A rapidly spinning rainbow was just about the best description she'd ever heard of how the mind worked. "But you seem to be looking inside of my brain!' She absolutely loved the idea of making something crazy and colorful. A picture of a forest came to mind and began to flesh itself out as Petal described her ideas. Her brush, no longer hindered, began to dance across the canvas. A purple tree here... another red... another blue... Neon buildings, eh? "How about a cabin? Oh! Or a giant mushroom house for forest creatures to live! Or both - a log cabin with little mushroom houses for little faeries sprouting out from the foundation! Do you think they're real? Faeries, I mean. I suppose if sirens and satyrs exists then possibly... I guess they aren't Greek though so perhaps not..."

As it usually did, her excitement was getting the better of her. She was beginning to get off topic. "Go on!" She urged, motioning toward the canvas where a cacophony of multicolored nature was beginning to form. "Grab a brush!" 

• Like 1

Petal's face lit up as Emberlynn accepted her idea and started adding her own creative touches. "Mushroom houses! And faeries! Oh yes that sounds wonderful!" Petal exclaimed as she spun around in excitement, the vision of a multicolored forest bustling with mythical creatures coming alive in her mind. Her sister's enthusiasm was contagious and Petal found herself caught up in Emberlynn's whimsical ideas. "Funny you should mention fairies. There was this time when dad took me to a music festival at night, it was this sprawling celebration of color, sound, and light. Right in the center was a band playing the sweetest melodies. I swear that as they played I saw tiny flickers and movement at the edge of my vision....fairies! I'm sure of it."

Petal rushed over to the collection of brushes and paints her eyes scanning the colors available. She chose a vibrant pink color and grabbed a brush. This was going to be fun! She started painting the image in her mind, a brightly colored forest with rainbow-hued trees. "This tree here can be pink!" she announced, the brush creating broad strokes of color on the canvas. As they painted together she began to add more detail. A river of shimmering gold, a sky of swirling purples and blues, her own mushroom houses dotted around the forest for the fairies. While they continued to paint Petal looked over at her half-sister, a thoughtful expression crossing her face. "Emberlynn, have you ever had a moment when you felt your connection to our mother Iris, really strongly? Like, you just knew she was there, even if you couldn't see her?" 

"So they are real then! Oh, what a wonderful experience to have!" Emberlynn's purple eyes sparkled with wonder and delight. As a child, they'd been her first indication that there was magic in the world. Although her adoptive parents swore up and down that they "didn't know why they'd bought her those contacts", she knew they were no such thing. She'd longed for her eyes to look that way - like the amethyst eyes of her favorite warrior princess cartoon - and somehow her wish had made it so. Had it not been for that constant reminder, she mihgt have thought herself crazy. Plenty of others certainly did. The endearing insanity of a child trying to discover themselves...No, she'd been right all along. It was magic, real magic. And now, meeting a sister who thought like her, a sense of home that she hadn't felt for a while washed over her. "You're lucky," she joked. "My experience with magical creatures has fallen disticlty in the 'run for your life' category so far. How I'd love to meet a faerie!"

Emberlynn paused mid stroke to think on Petal's question, so for a moment only half of a minotaur with a lime green mowhawk stood chopping trees for the log cabin. "Sure, there's been a few occasions. Thinking on hit, she must've been the one to grant my childhood wish of having purple eyes. And sometimes when I was feeling rather melocholy, I'd see a rainbow and - Well of course! Every time I use my-" Ember paused. Did Petal know about her ability? Was it something she could do too? The girl hadn't exactly been hiding it, but it wasn't so well developed that she was showing it off around camp either. Though with some help from Sage (and Axel, though she loathed to admit that part) it had definitely improved. She cupped her hands in front of her and offered up a silent prayer, one of longing to include her sister in her excitement. A small orb of purple light formed in her hands. Ember clasped it, pressing in as though molding clay. When she lowered her hands again, a small crytalline heart floated there above them. It still looked a bit fuzzy, like it she were to touch it her hand would pass right through. And to be fair, it definitely would. BUt it had come quite a ways toward looking like a solid object. The purple crystal heart twinked, still emitting that soft purple glow. "My ability." A sudden excitement rose in her. Petal was older. If she too had these powers, maybe she could teach her to better utilize them! "Do you have them too? The strange powers?"

• Like 1

Petal listened attentively as Emberlynn shared her experiences. The image of Emberlynn's purple eyes, a gift from their mother Iris, grabbed Petal's attention. Would their mother change her eye color is she asked her too? While her hair was mostly blonde, Petal loved dyeing the tips. It was a sense of control she being able to pick and chance colors on a whim, now if only she could do that as easily with her eye color! She couldn't even begin to think what color she'd chose first. Emberlynn's explanation and then demonstration quickly grounded Petal's attention back to reality. Her eyes widened in awe as she watched her sister create a delicate crystal heart from thin air. The magic pulsed with the same kind of vibrancy that Petal felt inside of her. Was this a power they both shared as children of Iris? Her heart fluttered at the possibility.

"I…I don’t know," she admitted, her voice full of wonder. "I've never tried something like that before." She paused as a sudden nervousness filling her. What if she didn't have these powers? What if she was different? Her gaze turned thoughtful, her mind whirring with questions. Petal had always felt a connection to colors and light, but she hadn't considered it as anything other than her fascination with the world's beauty. Could it be something more?

"I'm not sure," she admitted slowly, turning to look at Emberlynn. "I've always felt really connected to colors and light, and sometimes I feel like they respond to me. Like this one time I was really upset and everything around me seemed to turn grey. And then when I calmed down, it was like the world exploded into color again." She gestured to the vibrant forest they were painting on the canvas. "But I've never done anything like what you just did," she said. "Could you teach me?" she asked hesitantly. "I mean, if I do have these powers, I'd love to learn how to use them." Being able to manipulate light and color like Emberlynn just did seemed like something out of a dream. But here at Camp Half-Blood, she was beginning to learn that dreams could be real.

"I... I suppose I could try..." Ember's smile faltered. She'd been hoping her older sibling might teach her a thing or two about Iris's gifts, but it turned out Petal knew even less about them than she did. But it broadened again as a new possibility dawned on her. She'd heard that not every demigod had an ability, not even those who shared a house. While they were all blessed with superhuman survival abilities and many with the occasional assistance of their deific parents, special magics like those she wielded were rare even among her kind. Petal, however, could very well be different. The way she had described her connection to the goddess had struck a chord with Emberlynn. The younger girl had experienced many of those same feelings growing up. If anyone she knew was going to share her ability, she had a feeling it could be her sister. And if she did indeed share in those powers, perhaps the two of them could work on developing them together. Oh, how wonderful that would be!

"I must admit though, I'm rather new to it myself. It started when I was attacked by a scorpion in the forest - horrid little creatures, those scorpions." She shuddered. "Little" wasn't exactly an apt descriptor either. It had been about thrice the size of the preteen camper. "Well, horrid large creatures." She corrected herself. "Thanks the gods MK - ah, she's one of the older campers - she came to my rescue. A genuine knight in bronze armor, that woman. Yet even with her help, the fiend had nearly bested us. That's when it happened!" Her gestures illustrated the story as she spoke, her face lighting with animation. Her paintbrush lay forgotten next to the canvas. "This blinding flash of light came down from the sky! Initially I thought it to be lightning. Until I noticed there was no smoke or scorch marks that is. I had this warm feeling all over, like something hotter than blood was coursing through my veins."

Emberlynn closed her eyes for a moment. She focused on conjuring that warm feeling until she felt it spread from her core to her fingertips. A shimmering, prismatic light surrounded her hands, which she then raised to show Petal. "That feeling you were taking about - that connection to mom... it feel like that... just a thousand times more potent." Displaying her ability was simple enough now that she'd identified that feeling as the source of her powers. Controlling and shaping it, however... that part still needed a lot of practice. "I cannot make big flashes like that first one on a whim though. Not at present, anyway. But I've been working quite hard to develop it."

"Have you ever had anything like that happen?" she inquired. "Has mother ever intervened to save you or give you something you truly, desperately desired?"

• Like 1

Petal's stared enamored by the sight of Emberlynn's colorful prismatic light. It was beautiful, a spectacle that was a perfect reflection of their shared parentage. A thousand questions buzzed in her mind, but she tried her best to focus on Emberlynn's words as her sister shared the story of her power awakening. The warmth, the sudden burst of light, it all sounded terrifying yet exhilarating. The mere idea of her possessing a similar ability sent a way of anticipation through her. Was it possible her little sister could help her unlock this power inside of herself? The anticipation of what the next few moments could hold was palpable. Petal had completed forgotten about painting entirely. She had to learn how to make color like this! 

"Nothing like a big, blinding flash of light," Petal replied slowly as she reflected over the last several years of her life. She bit her lower lip, a thoughtful expression flickering across her face. "But there was a moment, it was a couple of months ago, I was...I was really scared. I had got myself lost during a hike in the local forest and there was this big, mean-looking dog, not a monster mind you but it was sure big like a beast. Plus I'm not very comfortable around dogs in general." She shuddered at the memory, "I remember wishing so hard for it to just go away. I was so desperate! And then.....out of nowhere! There was a shimmer of light, like a...like a rainbow mist, and it seemed to spook the dog because it just turned tail and ran. It was the strangest thing. I thought it was just luck or maybe I imagined it but now......" She let the sentence hang in the air, her attention once again drawn to Emberlynn's shimmering hands. She felt a sense of hope inside herself. If that was Iris's intervention, a sign of a power similar to Emberlynn's, then perhaps she could harness it and learn to control it.

Maybe her fascination with colors, her connection to Iris, maybe all of it might have a much deeper meaning than anything she could have imagined. "Can we try to tap into that...that feeling? Would you help me try?" she asked, grabbing a hold of her sisters hands, her eyes filled with hope and excited desire.

Emberlynn's excitement rose while Petal described her experience with the dog. It wasn't exactly like her experience with the scorpion, but it was close... close enough, perhaps? It definitely showed that their celestial mother was looking out for the both of them. Maybe... she thought. Just maybe... In her mind, she was already picturing the two of them learning together. Using their gifts side by side, teaching each other whatever new discoveries they made. Surely she could learn much faster that way. Social creature that Emberlynn was, she wasn't particularly eager to have an ability just for her. She would much rather share such a thing with her newfound sibling. And now that they were talking, it seemed for the first time that may be a real possibility.

"Of course!" she exclaimed. "I would be thrilled to assist!"

But... how? The young girl had very little experience with her abilities, and she wasn't entirely certain how to describe it. She thought of her recent encounter with Sage and Axel, and the things she had learned about her powers through that experience. "It won't work if you focus too intensely on it," she explained. "I struggled with that quite a bit recently - putting in far too much personal strain. When it works for me, it seems to operate more like a prayer. Think of what you want the light to do, and trust that mother will understand and offer her guidance. That's what's worked for me so far at any rate."

She reached out to take Petal's hands. "Think about those times mother's power has revealed herself to us... scaring off that dog, for instance. Dwell on it a moment, then let it go. Trust that it will work, and it will! Maybe." She hoped she was explaining things right, as she'd only just learned these stipulations herself. It wasn't even clear if that was entirely accurate. But it had worked for her so far, and she truly hoped it would work for her sibling in turn. That was- if she was naturally inclined to the same divine gifts of course. Ember really, really hoped she would be. 

• Like 1

Petal nodded, listening intently to Emberlynn's words. This was all so new, so out of the realm of what she had thought possible, and yet...it felt right, in a strange sort of way. She was at Camp Half-Blood after all, and this was her sister, they were both children of Iris. The fact that her sibling had these abilities meant that it wasn't completely impossible for her to have them as well. Emberlynn's words about letting it be more of a prayer resonated with her. The only challenge would be trying to keep calm from all the excitement, prayers seemed to always work best when they were taken seriously with a little bit of solemn respect. 

"Okay, here goes," she muttered under her breath as she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, her hands still gripping Emberlynn's. She imagined the colors around her, the feel of the vibrant energy that always seemed to surround her. She thought of the day in the forest, of that shimmering light that had scared away the dog. She remembered how relieved she had felt, how she had felt a certain warmth spread within her at that moment. She wished for that feeling again, silently sending a prayer to their mother, hoping she would help.

Petal's heart pounded in her chest as she waited, unsure of what would happen. She felt a warm sensation in her hands, almost like the warmth she'd felt that day, but when she opened her eyes, there was no light, no shimmering rainbow colors. "Nothing happened," she said, looking at Emberlynn with a mix of disappointment and confusion in her eyes. "I tried to remember what it felt like that day, I really did. But I just... I can't make it work. Maybe my power....if I even have one....is something different?" She tried to keep her voice steady, but there was no mistaking the sadness in her eyes.

Looking at Petal's face now, Emberlynn felt a pang of guilt. She'd known that abilities were a rare occurrence, but the way they had been talking... it seemed she'd gotten overeager. She'd really hoped that she'd have someone to practice with and share in her experiences. But thinking now, there had never been any guarantee. Petal may well have goddess-given powers, but there was a chance that they didn't even work the same way that Emberlynn's did. She masked the mixture of self-shame and disappointment with a smile. "I apologize, Petal," she admitted, her voice softer and a bit less boisterous than normal. "I may not be the best teacher when it comes to these things. I'm quite new to all of this myself. I hadn't meant to become so overexcited."

She turned back to their painting and began to fill in the other half of her green-haired minotaur. Even if they wouldn't be training partners with their magic, she was still quite pleased to have a sister. She loved Petal's ideas, and the way their minds worked so similarly. Her brush moved in to paint a yellow and pink tree next to one of petal's bright purple and green ones. The brushstrokes differed of course, made by different hands, but they together the picture they were making was brilliant. Ember's eyes moved from her part of the canvas to Petal's, then back to hers... then went wide. She jumped to her feet. "Oh, of course!"

"Petal, look!" she motioned to their artwork, accidentally splattering a bit of paint on herself in the process. But whatever she had realized had made her so excited that she failed to notice. "Look at our trees! They're both colorful and wonderful, but they're different too!" Her smile widened. "What if you're correct in your assumption that your ability is something different. Surely people as eclectic as ourselves would have unique abilities too, wouldn't we? So perhaps using the powers my way is the issue. You've just got to find your way." Of course, such a thing would take time. But the thought of finding their own connections made her just as eager to work together as she had initially been. "It might be something like what I do, or something entirely unique. But that's the thrilling part isn't it!? Like - like finding your creative spark when we're painting! Oh, don't be disheartened, sister... Mother is looking out for the both of us, I'm certain of it!" 

• Like 1

After a moment of silence to let her words sink in, Petal took a deep breath and gave a small determined nod. She appreciated Emberlynn's honesty and the understanding in her eyes. This was still all very new and confusing, but she was lucky to have Emberlynn by her side. "Thank you sister," she said, as she gave her a big hug. "I won't give up. Maybe you're right, maybe it's different, but I do believe there is something there. It just might take time for me to figure out how to use it." Petal looked down at the half-finished painting in front of them and was filled with renewed determination. There was so much more to discover about her own powers and what it truly meant to be a daughter of Iris. And while she was somewhat dissapointed by her lack of visible power, she still found comfort in the bond she was building with her sister. "Let's get back to painting. It always helps to clear my mind," she suggested, reaching for her brush and dipping it into the vibrant green paint.

She takes a moment to find her focus, letting her eyes drift over the unpainted sections of the canvas before her. Her brush then begins to dance across the canvas, forming the framework of a lush landscape. With every stroke, the scenery gains depth and form, the green growing darker and lighter in places, hinting at shadows and sunlit areas. "You know Em, I think that's the beauty of it. Much like how our powers could be different we also all see the world in our own unique ways. And like our shared painting here, when we combine and share those experiences we make something beautiful. Something so diverse and colorful...." she paused for a moment smiling at Emberlynn. "You know, I'm very grateful to have you as a sister, and to have this time here at camp with you."

Emberlynn smiled warmly. She was happy - truly, immensely happy. It seemed that her sister understood exactly where her train of thought was headed. It was wonderful to have a sister. Someone who, while different in many ways, shared her wild and creative mind in ways she hadn't found even with her closest friends. Petal was right. The world they were creating together was beautiful. And not just the Iris kids either. Everyone she'd met here so far had held a different worldview, walked a different path. But here they all were at camp, learning, training, protecting each other... it truly was a beautiful thing.

"As am I. I'm glad you're here, Petal."

Ember wiped the paint from her face and returned to her work. Beneath one of the rainbow trees, she began to form a smaller picture. A picnic blanket, a basket full of colorful fruits, and two rainbow-haired girls chatting happily together.

"It's a fascinating place, Camp Halfblood." She commented. Her early days here had left her lonely and confused. But now she had started to make some friends. And even a sister! The camp was starting to feel a whole lot more like home.

• Like 1

Emberlynn's smile was contagious, and Petal found herself smiling back, their bond beyond their shared parentage. They were sisters, yes, but more importantly, they were friends. Friends who could explore their powers together, support each other, and learn from each other's experiences. This thought brought comfort to Petal, pushing back her initial disappointment and replacing it with a sense of eagerness. It didn't matter if their powers were different, or if it took her more time to discover hers. She had Emberlynn, and together, they would figure it out.

"I'm glad I'm here too, Emberlynn. I'm glad I got to experience all this, all thanks to you." she replied. Petal dipped her brush back into the paint. As she continued to paint, a soft hum began to vibrate from her lips. It was a habit of hers, one that helped her feel more in tune with her creativity. The hum was soft and gentle, a melody that filled the air and blended with the vibrant energy around them. It was a melody of joy, of shared discovery and the excitement of the unknown. A melody that painted their story across the canvas with every brushstroke.

As she stepped back to admire their work, Petal couldn't help but feel a sense of pride swell within her. The painting was a testament to their shared connection they'd built during their time at camp. A connection that, Petal knew, would only grow stronger with time. She was excited for what the future held, for both her own personal journey and their shared journey as sisters. "It is, isn't it?" Petal responded. "Camp Halfblood is a mixture of everything – danger, excitement, learning, friendship... It's not just a camp. It's like... it's like a living entity, vibrant and ever-changing.

Important Information

Terms of Use