bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Truth, Dare or a Secret Third Thing

The knowing look Loukas gave his girlfriend wasn't lost on Winnie. There was definitely more to the late-night stable visit, and she couldn't help wondering what he wasn't telling her. A date, a first kiss? Either way, it was a sweet story and she was honoured to hear even the censored version! It sounded so romantic... she couldn't help but wonder if anything like that was in store for her sometime soon. It sometimes seemed like everyone at Camp was in love, and she was missing out on something beautiful. 

"Definitely a truth girl," Winnie agreed. "I'm an open book. Secrets are just barriers that fence you in," she looked wistfully around the group, her eyes landing on Henry. "See the way Henry's shoulders are hunched? She's sitting in her own invisible box. Secrets do that to people." It was a small wisdom Winnie had picked up from a lifetime of observing people. 

• Like 1

Loukas found himself increasingly fascinated by Winnie's insights. Her comment about Henry's posture and the invisible boxes people create for themselves with secrets revealed a gift of insight not found in many. It was a kind of wisdom that he rarely encountered, certainly not during a casual game of Truth or Dare. This wasn't your everyday small talk; Winnie saw layers to people that others often missed.

His curiosity piqued, he looked around the circle, trying to find someone who equally intrigued him and might elicit an interesting perspective from Winnie. His eyes landed on Tempest, the older girl who had always been an enigma to him—almost unnerving in her aura of self-contained mystery. "So what do you make of Tempest over there?" he inquired, leaning in slightly closer to Winnie. "She's always kinda terrified me. What's her story, you think?" Tempest had always intimidated him, but if anyone could unravel her, it was Winnie.

Tempest was an especially interesting case. Winnie would have almost no read on her if she hadn't been keeping a vigilant eye out. There was a certain Phobos camper who seemed to do a number on that unshakable Queen Bee... "Usually scary people are hiding how scared they are," Winnie remarked in a hushed tone, her eyes trained on the older girl. "Tempest isn't as tough as she pretends to be. She finds it more comfortable to be hated than loved, that's the problem. Between you and me, I think we'll be seeing a new side to her soon..." Winnie shook her head quickly, grounding herself back in her body. "Sorry, I was slipping away for a minute there," she smiled dreamily.

"And you," she turned to Loukas, feeling suddenly bold. "You're scared too. It's a more gentle fear than hers, but I can see it. It lives in your hands," her eyes flickered down to his slender fingers. They carried some strange sadness, an apprehension she couldn't quite place. Winnie gave her friend a sincere smile. 

• Like 1

Loukas felt momentarily exposed by Winnie's observation. It was like she had pulled back the veil on a part of him he hadn't even fully admitted to himself. He looked down at his own hands as if expecting to see this 'gentle fear' materialize before his eyes. "You're quite the observer," he finally said, managing to mask the hint of vulnerability that had briefly flashed across his face. "I think it's a mix of things, my powers, what they could do to people I care about, how I could fail to protect people I care about..." he added.

As he spoke, he could feel that 'gentle fear' she mentioned—concerns about his friends' safety, the trajectory of his relationship with Sage, the ever-looming burden of his gifts. For a second, he felt like he was the one sitting in an invisible box, built from his own apprehensions and insecurities. He glanced over at Sage again, she had been his anchor, grounding him whenever his fears started to drift out of control. Looking back to Winnie, he smiled warmly. "Maybe we all have our invisible boxes, some are just better hidden than others. But it's friends like you who help us see outside them," he said sincerely, appreciating the unique lens through which Winnie viewed the world. "So, think you'll join this game and help some of us step out of our boxes?" he joked.

Winnie wasn't surprised to see the mix of emotions that drifted over Loukas's face at her words. It was a serene, mild reaction to an observation that would have many campers angry or defensive; she loved that about Loukas. He was always kind, understanding and measured. Many demigods tended towards the reactionary, impulsive, indignant... Loukas was special like that. She really couldn't picture him getting angry. "That's brave of you to admit," she smiled encouragingly as he explained himself. "And such noble things to worry about -- that shows you're a good person. You're one step closer to getting out of your box." She gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze to show she was proud of his candidness. 

"Most people aren't as accepting as you, Lou," she said, nervously. "I'm not sure any of these people would take so kindly to me pointing out the stuff they hide from the world. From each other." Winnie shook her head, her usual dreamy smile returning to her face. "I'm happy just watching, you know me."

Important Information

Terms of Use