bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Birds Aren't Real?

Tristan Damaris

This was one of the brews written into his potion book, something to transform the drinker into black-billed magpie, and it was one that caught Tristan’s interest for how ludicrously nonsensical it sounded. Plus, the name just gave the vibe of those weird ‘hypnotizing to become a creature’ or whatever videos. Really weird stuff.

He held off on making it since it seemed the most likely the recipe would go wrong, but curiosity won and today he wound up creating a batch out of curiosity. Still, he refused to try it himself. There seemed to be so much that could go wrong - what if he got stuck in the body of a bird? What if he got stuck with the brain of a bird? Actually, some birds were pretty intelligent, magpies among them... but still. And that was assuming such a thing was possible and even that he’d prepared it correctly. Tristan shuddered to imagine turning some half-bird abomination. It at least looked right, though.

No, he wasn’t going to try this on himself. He could use some guinea pigs, though... It would have been more fitting if this was actually a guinea pig potion.

It’s still a while before dinner, but he is sitting at the Hecate table in the dining pavilion, wearing a poker face as he goes over the table he ruled up in pencil with pen. He’s used to being asked why he looks like that when he gets into this mode, which frankly is what annoys him more than whatever people think did in the first place. He’s simply focused.

A flask, a measuring cup and some glasses are placed on the table, along with a kitchen scale, and an outdoor digital thermometer set just by the edge. Despite what logic dictates, Tristan is trusting that there wouldn’t be a devastating amount of energy created in the transformation - but he’s curious whether there’ll be any observable increase in temperature around it at all, or whether magical interference would nullify that entirely.

Once he finishes ruling up the page he placed one more thing out: a piece of paper, held down against the wind by the scale. In large print writing, it reads:

POTION TESTING.

Turn into a monster magpie.

This little experiment is... dissatisfactory and imprecise. He’s investigating two separate things at once, though he only has himself to blame for that part. He turns to another page to sketch a bit while he waits for someone to hopefully come along. If the testing part doesn’t get attention, hopefully a conspiracy joke could at least get someone to talk to him long enough to rope them into helping him. @ Shadow Moore

Shadow had just grabbed himself a snack to hold him over for dinner when he see one of his cabin brothers sitting at a table, with a bunch of stuff in front of him. He had seen him around before, he also seemed a little awkward and shy. What he was doing today though intrigued Shadow some, and even though he had other things, he was needing to do before dinner, the curiosity got the best of him. Walking over to the Hecate table, he sat down in front of the kid and started to munch down on his snack as he asset all the items on the table. 

Swallowing a bit and smirked at the kid "Hey there, what you got going on? It looks interesting!" he questioned the kid, gesturing to the items with his hand. Shadow was always intrigued when it came to magic. Specially if he could find ways to help him with his own plan. Of course what this kid was doing didn't look anything like something that could help him with his plan with Lilythe, but he wanted to know non the less. 

The boy looks up, and taps his pencil lightly on the page of his notebook. He’s seen the guy in Cabin Twenty, but hasn’t spoken to him much; he did gather from his frequent visits at the cabin that he is Shadow, however, which makes him his older half-brother. "Good evening, Shadow." He began with a soft voice. Potion making made up the majority of his time since he had lost a close friend of his. It was his way to distract himself from the matter instead of grieving what they had. Or was it even there in the first place? He didn't want to think about it so he turned to playing with witchcraft. "Just a misanthrope making his usual brew." It was a bit of an overreaction, but nothing could hurt more than being left alone. "I was thinking I could turn myself into a bird so I can fly and explore the world." Or go away from here as fast as possible.

My book listed no side effects,” Tristan assures him; a technical truth, but one he can’t claim 100% certainty of. He suppose that’s probably breaching some code of ethics that should apply to an experiment like this. But this is exactly why he isn’t trying it himself. Even if there aren’t meant to be side effects, if he brewed it incorrectly he could have altered the result in some way for all he knows. “It turns you into a magpie, temporarily - but I’m not sure exactly how long it lasts, so I’m trying to see if there’s any relationship between that and the amount of my brew. So yes, I’d actually really like it if you tried some.

Shadow listened to the kid, he sounded pretty smart. Shadow didn't know much about potions he liked controlling the mist more and just wielding different magic spells, he didn't have the patients for potions. As the kid rambled on, Shadow realized this kid was upset and sunk into his chair wondering what he just got himself into. "Wow, so you want to become a bird?" he mused. "What's going on that makes you want to be a bird? If I could brew a potion to turn myself into an animal, I sure wouldn't pick a bird" he laughed, as he finished up his snack. 

"No side effects is a good thing" he comments with a smirk. He was about to tell the kid to drink it, when he sat up in shock, placing his hands on the table he starts to push away "Umm, that was pretty upfront. Look kid, I am in no spot to be turned into any type of animal, let alone if something goes wrong" he says in shock. He couldn't believe he just got asked to try a potion. Shadow's sinister side show for a minute when he smirked at the boy "You could always just sneak it into another campers drink, and watch what happens" he whispers looking around making sure no one else could hear him. 

A grin curled the corners of his lips from the comment. An avian was not a good choice but it was not bad either. The boy wanted to feel what it is like to be free. Flying in the skies and gliding through the air. Flapping his wings to go higher or bending to go faster. "You wouldn't. You would probably choose an apex predator." He made eye contact with his older half-brother for the moment before sighing. "Just a hunch." He resumed tapping his pencil onto his notebook for several moments before placing it down and looking up art him once more. "I want to be free. I want to get away from this place as soon as possible." But he didn't have anywhere to go. Abusive stepmother. Dead father. No mention of cousins. Sure, he had trouble making friends and he partly had himself to blame for but it wasn't until recently that he felt truly and utterly alone. To many, he appeared to be a sociable person but no one has gotten close enough to know about him. There was one, but they ghosted him.

He shook his head. "Sorry, um- I shouldn't have said that. You're my brother. Half." Pursing his lips, he sets the notebook aside, pen and pencil between the pages as a sort of bookmark, and stands up to reach for the flask. Tristan measures some of the brew and pours it into a small vial. He had made sure there were not any side effects. He checked once, twice, three times. He could do that but if the camper was suffering from the site effects, then it would fall onto his conscience - even if he returned them to normal with a spell. It could be frightening for the both of them but his curiosity got the better of him. He just needs to find a way to turn them back immediately if the transformation was any less than one hundred percent perfect. Besides, maybe a little mischief could help distract him. 

• Like 1

Shadow realized this kid had some issues. Shadow wasn't one to worry about someone else's problems, he had enough of his own. But he decided that having this kid who seems pretty smart and able to do potions might be a good thing to keep around. Shadow sighed sitting back down, he leaded back in his chair and smirked at the kid "Yes, your right I would probably pick maybe a wolf or a tiger" he comments. "Is there anyone in here that looks like someone you wouldn't care to sneak that potion to them" he questioned the boy as he skimmed the room himself. There were a few campers he could point out that he would suggest, but really the boy needed to pick his own guinea pig. 

Shadow's mind started to race, wondering what kinda potion can be made and how he could use potions to get the things he wants. He was getting very excited to see how this potion works. IF it works perfect, then that will just prove his want to either learn a certain type of potion, or convince this kid to help me in his own skeam.

Tristan does not really know anyone he could think of but the more he thought about it, the more he became confident in his next prank. That camper would not know what will him them. They can celebrate if the transformation is successful. Otherwise... it would be time to go back to the drawing board. From the way Shadow sat, it was clear he was not interested in listening about his issues. A part of him did hope for someone or anyone for that matter to listen, but letting him partially enable his mischief act is good too. He was used to not having people to talk to. Since he had suggested it, Tristan decided to let him have first pick. "I don't have any, but maybe you do. You seem like you know people."

At the end of the day, he liked making potions during his past time and perfecting them. It's evident in his potion book, filled with detailed notes of substances, amount, and procedure. This little experiment would have enticed Shadow more if it actually read monsters instead of an avian species. "I can't do it during dinner... but I can slip it into some camper's drink when they are occupied somewhere."

Shadow sat up in his chair, looking around but no one in here seemed to catch his interest. "I don't know many of the campers anymore" he commented. His mind wandered off to people he would love to have him use it on, but he knew he couldn't do that because it could come back on him somehow. As his mind carried on, he started to pay a little more attention to the boy in front of him. If he even thought to try to learn something about potions from this kid, he is going to have to try to be more friendly. See the kid seemed to be upset, and even though he really didn't care, he decided he was going to put on a face and try to show some concern. "So kid, what's going on? you seem down, and you want to turn yourself into a bird and leave. So obviously something is bothering you. Do you want to talk about it?" He said this as best he could without trying to sound like how he really felt.

"Good to know, maybe we can catch someone doing a duel or something and their drink is sitting off the side?" he says with a smile.

"Right..." Even though Tristan can be found alone some of the times, the isolation has brought him to eavesdropping or word of mouth. Using magic to enhance his hearing or vision towards a specific area, he liked snooping around to other campers' businesses. He never got caught but he would rather not get caught than getting found out. He discovered that Shadow had just came back and knowing a bit of his history here, perhaps there could be some he knows here but it did not matter. Any unsuspecting camper would do. He was still pondering rather deeply with how their little scheme would work until Shadow voiced a question that soon changed his mind about the premise. He tried not to let it bother him but it seems like he could pick up the sarcasm. The boy sighed.

"There was this girl. We were good friends until she left me for whatever reason. I think I scared her with my powers." Tristan did have a crush on her but he was not going to tell anyone that. Not even his half-brother. "I just thought it felt nice having someone to talk to about your interests and hobbies. I know that might sound lame to you but I'm just a boy. Just a boy..." His tone grew somber towards the end but his brows raised at the idea. "We can do that, just not tonight. No one's going to duel after dinner."

"What about tomorrow afternoon? I'll be at the cabin preparing for just in case it goes wrong and you can be there to get someone to leave their drink aside.

Shadow listened to the boy as he told him what was going on. "I get it kid, losing a girl you like sucks" he comments, the kid didn't need to say he had a crush on the girl just the way he was upset by her disappearance was proof enough that she wasn't just a friend for him. "Our powers can be a scary thing, especially if your good at manipulating the mist" he says with a sinister voice. Shadow stood up from the table, going over a grabbing himself a drink. His mouth had been dry since he sat down and his snack didn't help. Drinking the soda he grabbed, he tired to think about who might be at the arena tomorrow afternoon, if he had overheard anyone talking about dueling, but no luck. "I'll keep an ear out for who might be dueling tomorrow, if no one ends up dueling, I have another plan and it includes using the mist" he says in a small whisper. Finishing his drink, he through it into the trash can, and started to walk out.

"Good luck on a back up! Meet back here tomorrow at  noon then?" he says with a small smile.

"What?" He did not know that Shadow could tell how he felt about her but that is just saying how much Tristian does not really know some people. Somehow, it felt a little better knowing he knows too but it did not matter since he was not going to see her anymore. "The mist?" he asked with arched eyebrows. The boy did not dive into the power much since he had been studying his magic and umbrakinesis but he knew that with some effort he could harness the Mist. Are their powers really that scary, he thought. The powers of darkness, the night, and the mystic arts. He could not disagree. He sought to use them for good, even if it meant frightening some people. Tristan reached for a half-full goblet and grabbed it by the stem, the liquid changing it's form to crystal clear water when it had been chocolate milk. When he gulped it down, he was refreshed and reassurance accompanied. The man had a back up plan but he ought to learn a thing or two about Mist Control.

"Sure thing, Shadow. If this goes well... mind teaching me that power with the Mist?" He smiled back, a bit relieved that he had shown up.

• Like 1

Shadow stopped just by the door, looking back at the boy. Shadow smiled "Sure thing kid" he answered his question. This was Shadows in, now he has two kids wanting to learn more about their powers with the mist. Two kids that if he can make sure they can learn it, and then well they are around, he could use his own on Lilythe while one of the boys are around. Planning this out in his head he realized that he was staring off in space and still standing in the doorway when another young camper snapped him out of it. They had shoved past him, and he jumped "Sorry!" he called out as he headed back to his cabin.

The next morning Shadow took a stroll around the camp, listening in on conversations. He finally over heard two young boys, they looked to be around fourteen maybe. Perfect for being a subject in this potion testing. He listened in on their convo, one boy was wanting to go the arena and the other was wanting to go to the lake. Shadow didn't need them going to the lake because then its open and they would see Tristan sneaking it into their drink. So he concentrated on the boy wanting to swim, and used just a little mist manipulation to change his mind. With in seconds the boy agreed to the arena and they were off. Shadow took off to meet Tristan where they had planned to meet up.

Tristan was pleased to know that someone with expertise in the Mist offered to teach him but he was also hoping that he would either way. He has not really touched on the Mist despite witnessing its applications several times before. It's not that he thought it was not useful, but the practicality of it was reaching to him now - even more so when Shadow brought it up. He did remember the time he used the power for himself and saw a faint image of a friend he used to talk with. With reasons he could not understand, he was okay with it. Or at least, happy that it even happened. What he did not tell him is the rumors surrounding his history on camp, both good and bad but he did not mind. It was his deal. When a camper had met Shadow with an accidental shove, Tristan looked up and realized it is dinner time so he wrapped up his set up and set until everyone else arrived. He was starving.

As it is somewhat rare for him, he decided to sleep early so he could be prepared for tomorrow's experiment. He got up early to prepare for a fail safe plan in case something in the process goes wrong which consists of crafting an undo spell. Undoing a transformation takes a bit more time since it's not a spell but there is also a potion that has the same function. He did not want to be seen giving it to them though as it is basically giving himself the blame for the experimental error. Once he was done, he left his mother's cabin, dragging along the nervous with him. 

Waiting for Shadow to meet him at the open-air venue, Tristan got settled in the steps a bit away from where some of the campers are. 

Shadow had reached the open-air venue, a few minutes later. To his surprise, the boy was already sitting there waiting. Shadow gave the boy a devilish grin "Your here great! Did you get that undo position done?" he questioned the boy in a low whisper so the other campers around them couldn't hear him. A few campers walked passed them, and Shadow sat down next to Tristan. Shadow was slightly out of breath, so while he waiting for campers to move away, so he could talk without having to whisper. Shadow wasn't the best at whispering anyways he had a louder more deep voice anyways, so it was kinda hard. There's been times when he thinks he is whispering, others overheard him. 

Once most the campers were out of the way, Shadow leaned a little closer to Trisan "I found some boys, maybe around your age, that we can try it one. They both have drinks, so when we get there just pick a drink, or put it in both!" he laughs. Shadow noticed the boy was a little nervous, and being nervous isn't good. "Hey kid, you want me to do a little trick with my mist, and help you be more excited about this?" he smirks, as he asks the boy.

Important Information

Terms of Use