bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Harmony in Hues

Petal Price

Petal felt the warmth of the sun against her colorful sundress, the vibrant hues mirrored by the flower-speckled meadow that lay in front of her. Bouncing on her toes she was excited  as she observed the vast array of blossoms dancing in the summer breeze. Being a daughter of Iris she marveled at the colors, a palette that spanned from deep violets to bright yellows. In her heart, a rush of joy and tranquility mixed, a feeling she only experienced when she was close to nature. The familiarity of the meadow's vibrant energy was soothing to her soul, as her fingers itched to start plucking the beautiful flowers.

With an energy that could light up Olympus itself, Petal darted into the meadow. "You guys ready to become a work of art?" she asked the flowers playfully. She delicately started picking the flowers, taking special care not to harm their stems, imagining how their colors would weave into her flower crown. As she worked, she hummed a tune that her father used to play at their summer festivals.

@ Henrietta Abbot

• Like 1

Petal was hard to miss. She glimmered with colour from head to toe; Henry had always thought she looked like a rainbow shifting through a spray of water. Fitting for a child of Iris. Henry dragged her feet as she walked towards the girl in the meadow. Petal was practically her opposite in every way. Their playfully antagonistic relationship meant that moments of sincerity were few, far between and, to Henry's guarded nature, deeply uncomfortable. But Henry needed advice, and Petal was essentially the go-to busybody at camp. Happy to help, etc. 

"Petal! Can I talk to you for a minute, or are you too busy being 'world's most wholesome flower-child'?" Henry called from a few feet away. Petal did look busy, mumbling to herself as she picked flowers from the meadow. She appeared to be weaving them together for some reason. The two girls must have looked comical together: one colourful and sweet, the other grungey and ill-tempered. 

• Haha 1

A grin spread across Petal's face as the familiar voice of Henry wafted across the meadow. "Henry? Coming to me for advice? Is the world ending and nobody told me?" she quipped teasingly. She twisted to look over her shoulder, her vibrant sundress flaring out around her like a kaleidoscopic bloom, making a stark contrast with Henry's grungier look. A surge of amusement bubbled within her at the sight of the usually self-sufficient, sharp-tongued daughter of Athena appearing somewhat out of her element.

Suppressing the urge to giggle she took a couple of strides to close the gap between them, all the while continuing to braid the flowers she'd collected into a crown. "Well, look who’s wandered into my neck of the woods!" Petal said playfuly. "What's up, Henry? Ready to exchange that grungy look for a flower crown? Or," she added, her twinkling eyes, "are you finally ready to embrace the joys of tie-dye?" Though she understood the weight of Henry's request, Petal chose to mask it with her light-hearted banter. She knew, under the prickly exterior, Henry was genuine and vulnerable. And perhaps in her own way Petal was trying to make the moment less daunting for her.

• Like 1

Henry, flushed slightly with embarrassment, rolled her eyes. Petal's hands continued to weave the crown as she talked, as though it were second nature to the girl. It was a slightly mesmerising sight. Slightly nauseating too: the bright sun, bright colours and wildflower scent in the air made Henry light-headed.

"Joys of tie-dye? Gods, you make me remember Camp is technically a commune. If you weren't so sweet," the word came out with a completely neutral connotation. "I'd be scared you were a hippie cult leader." She was just stalling now, eager to put off the conversation she had come here to have. Sometimes being brave isn't about storming into battle, though. If only, thought Henry bitterly. Shifting on her feet, Henry crossed her arms over her chest. 

"Look, Petal... you know why I'm here. I need your opinion on something. I-" Henry stumbled over her words before loudly cursing in ancient greek. "I'm lonely. I barely know anyone outside of my cabin, I train all day and study all night, I have no quest assigned to me and no way to prove my worth, I-- how do you know you belong somewhere? I had to ask you because... well, you seem so happy. Like, it's annoying how happy you seem." Henry avoided eye contact with Petal, humiliated at how it all came tumbling out. Those were feelings she'd had bottled up for years. 

• Like 1

Petal blinked, her playful attitude faltering for a moment as Henry's words sunk in. The rivalry between them, the playful jabs, and competitive exchanges; they all seemed insignificant faced with the raw sincerity in Henry's confession. Still, the sight of Henry opening up, albeit awkwardly, brought a warm smile to Petal's face. "Oh, Henry," she started softly, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm always happy to lend an ear, you know that. No need to do it like you're jumping into the River Styx."

She took a moment, her gaze drifting over the meadow as she carefully considered her words. "First off, there's more to life than quests and proving worth, you know? You belong here because you're you, and nobody else can be that. I think you're forgetting that this is camp, not a battlefield." She continued weaving her crown, the color of the flowers around them seemed to echo her thoughts, bouncing back to life with each word. "But I get it. The loneliness... it can be tough. My happiness, it's not about being oblivious or ignoring the bad stuff, you know. It's about finding joy in the little things. Like these flowers. The colors. The way the sun feels on my skin. It doesn't mean I don't have bad days or feel lost sometimes, but I always remember that I can find my way back. I choose to focus on what brings me joy. Maybe, you need to find your 'flowers', your own little sparks of happiness, you know?"

• Like 1

Henry swallowed, listening to Petal's words attentively. Still avoiding eye contact, the girl nodded slowly along to show she was taking the advice in. She had expected a smug resolve, maybe a bit of teasing. Petal was completely sincere though, her tone of voice gentle. Henry cleared her throat, leaving a silence between the girls for a few moments. 

"Coukd you make me one of those things? Please?" Henry signaled towards the flower crown still being woven in her friend's hands. However different the girls might have been, maybe their 'flowers', as Petal had put it, could be the same. She felt a little better, especially now that she felt Petal could be trusted. "You're super annoying but, maybe, I'd like to be a bit more like you. In some ways. Maybe."

• Like 1

Petal felt a wave of empathy as she studied Henry, being an Iris child she was very in tune with the emotions that went on around her. The request for a flower crown and the admittance of admiration, albeit grudgingly expressed, touched her heart in a way she hadn't expected. "Well, I think you're the first one ever to ask me for a fashion advice," she joked lightly, trying to lighten the mood. "And I'm glad you're asking. You know, sometimes it's okay to let the armor down and enjoy the world around you. It doesn't make you any less strong."

She turned her focus back to the flower crown, her nimble fingers dancing over the flowers, weaving them together. Every so often, she'd glance up at Henry, silently appreciating this new side to her. She loved the way the sun played with Henry's hair, the way the light wind made her grungy outfit flutter. "Remember, Henry," Petal said gently as she handed over the finished crown, her eyes twinkling with warmth, "there's strength in vulnerability too. It's okay to be you, to feel lonely or lost. And it's okay to reach out. No one's an island, not even us demigods. Try this on. I think these colors will look fabulous on you. And if you ever need to talk I'm here for you. I mean, who else will keep me grounded and save me from becoming a full-blown flower child?" she teased winking at the Athena girl playfully. 

• Like 1

Henry put the flower crown on her head at a jaunty angle, determined to retain at least some of her rebellious dignity. "Gods, I hate to think what I look like in this... total cutesy bumblebee bait just like you, I bet." But really, Henry was pleased, and trying to hide her blush. Something about Petal put her at ease, like she was safe to be herself. Though, with all of the walls Henry had built up, she couldn't place exactly who 'herself' was. 

"Let's say, hypothetically, I wanted to make you one of these. How would I go about it?" The words surprised even Henry, who was expecting to say some other smartass remark. She really did want to make her a crown to match. The truth was, she wanted to repay Petal for her kindness; an appropriate way to do that seemed to be to participate in the girl's dreamy world. Even if it was only for a while. To punctuate her sentence, Henry sat down cross-legged and winked at Petal playfully. "Get your pastel ass down here and teach me a lesson in flower child-ery."

Petal chuckled at Henry comment about being a 'bumblebee bait', but she felt a certain sense of victory when she saw the usually tough Athena girl wearing the flower crown. The way Henry was blushing and trying to hide her happiness was not lost on Petal, and it made her heart swell. "Well, you're not too far off from a bumblebee bait," she teased, "but I'd say more of a cute looking grunge queen with a floral twist." She couldn't help the laughter that bubbled up at the sight of Henry, serious, grunge-loving Henry, in a flower crown. And then Henry asked to learn how to make a flower crown!!! Petal's eyebrows shot up in surprise, her hand momentarily halting in its rhythmic plucking of petals. "You, wanting to get in touch with your inner flower child? Now that's a sight I never thought I'd see!" She clapped her hands in excitement, the laughter still twinkling in her eyes.

Petal gracefully sunk down onto the grass as she positioned herself across from Henry. She reached out and picked a few flowers, holding them out to the Athena girl. "Alright then, Ms. Grunge Queen. Lesson number one in flower child-ery: always choose your flowers with love and care. The crown is going to reflect your feelings, so fill it up with good vibes." She winked, before showing Henry how to carefully thread the flowers together, her fingers nimbly twisting and turning the stems into a delicate braid. "And secondly," she continued, her voice softer now, "always remember that every flower, like every person, has its unique beauty. It's about harmony, not hierarchy. Each one contributes to the whole, making it more beautiful." She looked up at Henry, noticing how the sunlight and the flower crown had softened her features, how the playful banter had eased some of the tension from her shoulders. For the first time in a long time, Petal felt like she was truly connecting with Henry.

• Like 1

Listening to Petal, Henry felt her shoulders drop. The tension in her body eased, and she was able to be present: the scent of flowers was thick in the air, the sun was low enough now that it forced her to squint. In between Henry's lashes, Petal looked like a goddess in her own right. Spilling over with colour and joy in the way only Iris children could. Letting her guard drop, Henry paused weaving the flower's stems together for a moment. "Petal, do you think... is it possible to fall for someone you thought you hated?" She lowered her hands, her half-finished crown resting in her lap. 

Realising what she had asked, Henry flushed as red as a poppy. It wasn't that she didn't trust Petal, of course... more so that saying those words aloud made them real. Liam Santos had been Henry's biggest rival and greatest enemy since she arrived at camp. He was the epitome of everything Athena children hated: spawn of Ares, cocky, brutish, and unable to be reasoned with. Lately, though, she had felt conflicted about him... could it be that hate and love were feelings more closely connected than she had imagined? Even if they were, there was no way Liam felt the same way. He lived to infuriate her, so rejecting her would be like his dream gig. 

"I mean, let's say you meet the most irritating, grating, insufferable person ever," Henry offered, perhaps in an attempt to fill an imagined silence. "but you don't want anything bad to happen to them. And you think about beating them in training all the time. Ugh, what am I saying? ...You're like, peace and love, right? So you understand feelings and stuff?" The word was said with a cautiously disparaging tone.

• Like 1

Petal leaned back, her fingers momentarily stilling from their weaving. She looked thoughtful, her eyes fixated on a particularly vibrant marigold before flicking up to meet Henry's. "You know," she began, her voice soft and contemplative, "feelings are... complicated. And they don't always come in neat little boxes. It's entirely possible to have a whirlwind of emotions for someone. Sometimes the line between love and hate can be incredibly thin. Maybe it's because both emotions are so intense, so passionate." She plucked another flower and started weaving again, her movements slow but deliberate. She thought back to her own crush on Liam, how she had actually gotten him to pick flowers with her! The feeling of his strong arms when she teasingly ran her hands over them. She was swooning just thinking about it. "If you're thinking about someone a lot, if they invoke strong feelings in you – be it frustration, anger, or... something softer – then it's worth exploring those feelings I think. But it's also essential to differentiate between genuine affection and the thrill of competition, you know?"

Henry's nervousness was palpable, and Petal tried to reassure her, "Love is... well, it's messy. And confusing. And sometimes it catches you off guard. But it's also beautiful. If you truly feel something, it's worth understanding it, even if it's scary." She wondered if Liam thought the same way about her. Of course, Petal was known to hop from crush to crush, having even just recently explored something intense with Andralyn. Her eyes sparkled with mischief, "So, I'm curious. Do I know who this insufferable guy is? He must be pretty awful if he has even you tied up in knots like this..."

• Like 1

Henry nodded, listening to Petal's input carefully. The girl was on top of things for sure, very in tune with the strength of emotions. Henry felt things fiercely but had trouble articulating any of it. For that, she was jealous of Petal. She had a calming presence, easy and genuine, along with a vulnerable way about her. All were traits that Henry felt she distinctly lacked. As Petal spoke, she had a far-away look in her eye, as though pondering a similar predicament in her own life. "You're wiser than you look, Flower Child. It's freaky," Henry interjected. 

Grimacing at the word love, Henry rested her chin in her hands. Surely not love she thought, desperately. She imagined Liam's strong silhouette in the sunshine, looking down at her as they trained together. His stupid cocky smiles and winks, the ways he tried to distract her in battle... she was snapped back into reality by Petal's question. It seemed an invasive one, but Henry wasn't surprised. She'd have asked too, and probably shared the information with Sage, so there was no use being defensive. 

"Gods, I can't believe I'm saying this... it's Santos. Sage reckons he's, like, in love with me or whatever." Henry rolled her eyes, trying to regain a bit of dignity amidst this uncharacteristic vulnerability. She was trying to put distance between herself and the statement, making it solely Liam's problem. But, the truth was, she was scared she felt that way about him herself. Scarlet, she looked up at her colourful companion. Would Petal laugh at her? Tell Liam herself? Henry regretted the confession already.

• Like 1

Petal felt like she had been sucker-punched. Her heart raced and a queasy feeling swirled in her stomach. Of all the revelations, of all the possible conversations, she hadn't expected this. Henry was confiding in her about feelings, and not just any feelings, but feelings towards Liam Santos. Liam. The very person Petal had harbored a quiet, soft spot for. The world around them, drenched in the golden hue of the setting sun and the fragrance of blooming flowers, suddenly blurred as her thoughts raced.

For a split second, a dark and selfish thought passed through Petal's mind. She could twist this, mislead Henry, maybe push her away from Liam. She toyed with the idea of advising Henry to stay away from him, to paint a picture of a doomed connection. But as quickly as that thought came, a pang of guilt surged through her. She was a child of Iris, the messenger, the bridge. Her role was to facilitate communication, not cloud it. Her duty, both to her heritage and to herself, was to guide with honesty.

She swallowed hard, her voice shaky when she finally responded. "Feelings, Henry, are... intricate webs," she began, choosing her words with the utmost care. Her fingers nervously twisted a flower stem, her gaze not quite meeting Henry's. "Sometimes, we're attracted to those who challenge our very essence, who push our buttons, who make our hearts race for all the right and wrong reasons. It's... confusing. But whether it's true love or a mere intense infatuation, only time can unveil." She hesitated, then added softly, "Just be certain of your emotions before diving too deep into them."

Clearing her throat, Petal leaned back, her face a blend of earnestness and vulnerability. "As for your earlier question," she continued with a hint of her usual playful demeanor, "yes, peace and love are kind of my forte. But it doesn’t mean I'm alien to the chaotic world of emotions. Everyone has their wars. Even if it's warring over feelings for an infuriating son of Ares." She offered a weak smile, trying to lift the heavy mood, but behind her eyes, Petal was grappling with her own tempest of emotions, wishing for once that she had her own rainbow to follow.

• Sad 1

Henry watched, her face etched with confusion and concern as Petal reacted to her confession. Or maybe not reacted was more accurate? The girl, usually as bright and bubbly as they make them, seemed to drain of colour. Her eye-line dropped, dipping below Henry's as though she couldn't risk being seen. It was a while before Petal spoke again, and in that time Henry's mind raced through the possibilities. Children of Athena tended to rely on logic, perhaps to a fault at times. So, what were the options? Petal was afraid for her, worried that Liam was a bad influence or an unsavoury guy? She had a friend who was already involved with him? Or... shit.

Henry's heart lurched as she listened to Petal continue giving her advice. Her tone had changed, suddenly less self-assured than before, singed with a hint of sadness. Henry had completely misjudged the situation, and she was furious at herself for it. Not knowing what to say, she kept her head down and weaved furiously. The flower crown that awarded her efforts was sad and misshapen, but she held it out to Petal nonetheless. "You know, I think I must be losing it. Santos is a big, dumb oaf, and Sage must have some dodgy intel. You're a good friend for advising me, Petal, but I don't think there's anything between me and him." 

Henry didn't want to embarrass Petal by asking if she was alright, or letting on that she'd caught the shift in her mood. She was just starting to feel a connection with this girl, and the last thing she wanted was for a stupid boy to get in the way. "Sorry for the shitty crown. Guess I need some more practice." Henry's weak smile rivalled even Petal's.

• Like 1

Petal accepted the flower crown, her fingers gently tracing the uneven braids and misshapen flowers. She admired it for a moment, noting how it still held a certain beauty, even if it wasn't perfect. "There's no such thing as a 'shitty' crown," Petal replied softly, "just as there's no such thing as a wrong emotion. They're all valid, even if they're messy or tangled." She delicately placed the crown atop her head in an attempt to cheer herself up, giving a playful spin. "See? It has its own charm."

Seeing Henry's attempt to downplay her feelings about Liam brought a tinge of sadness to Petal's eyes. She wondered if Henry was doing it to save face or if she truly felt that way. Either way, Petal felt it was not her place to prod further. "Hey, feelings are... complicated," she began, her voice gentle, as if trying to navigate a minefield. "And it's okay to be confused or unsure. That's just being human. But always remember, you deserve happiness, with or without Liam. And for what its worth......welll....I think you might be able to connect with him in a way I'errrr.....umm most...in a way most cannot." Phhhheeeewwww, she thought to herself, almost stepped in it there!

Petal then reached out and plucked a fresh daisy from the grass, tucking it behind Henry's ear. "And if you ever need more flower crown lessons, or just someone to chat with, you know where to find me." She flashed a sincere smile, hoping to reassure Henry and also to mask the tumult of emotions roiling inside her own heart.

Important Information

Terms of Use