bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Getting to know Cabin 16

Azrael Blackburn

A new arrival has appeared in the Nemesis cabin in recent days, one of the old bunks, left idle for the last few years has been taken up by Azrael, an old (by camp standards) twenty five year old. He hadn't appeared at any of the recent Mess times for the cabin but when they got back from breakfast he was waiting at the couches to see who his unknown siblings were, he had seen the names listed on the bunk roster but a name told him so little.

He tried to work out what he could do to help them, he knew combat, he knew bloodshed but the camp already taught them that and hells knew he wasn't one for how to control the gifts that mother had given them. Slowly he had settled into the plan of just being there for any of them that needed it, maybe that would be enough.

And so he waited for the cabin members to come back, trying to work out if he needed family more than they did today.

@ Derrick Raines

• Like 1

• ★Lilythe changed the title to Getting to know Cabin 16

Derrick had been having a bit of a hard time adjusting to this new life well maybe it was the life he was living. He just didn't know it at the time, but with losing his dad and best friend all at one time. There was a lot of anger building up inside of him as all he wanted to do was go out in the world to hunt for the monster. But as Dustin had told him, the monster who soon enough eat him up. But the little burdening kid was eating that morning with the other siblings. He had been trailing after them since he was so much younger than them. Once they had finished in the mess hall, he walked back to cabin 16 as they began to file into the cabin. Derrick was the last one in the cabin as he looked a bit troubled. He was a quiet kid that was in his own head quite a lot!

His eyes drifted up to the couch in the cabin to see an older camper (Azrael) who he didn't know just yet. "Who are you?' he stopped and asked the man. 

Azrael was just finishing another day old pastry as he saw the various kids, siblings?, he was still getting used to there being a generation between them, returning to the cabin. It was a hive of activity as the various campers grabbed assorted kit before making a break back out the cabin. He was sure enough rumours had gotten around the camp but it wasn't until that first morning rush seemed to be dying down did one the kids actually approach him. 

He was in clothes a fair bit different to general camp gear, dark t-shirt and black trousers that looked like they were probably on a second days wear. he had taken to leaving his blades over with the rest of the training weapons but still had the combat strapping and sheaths strapped to his side.

He looked up at the voice, taking in the young man and seeing the features so familiar in him and his siblings, the dark hair, lean figure and he guessed an astute, assessing stare.  "Hi. I'm Azrael." he held an open palm in greeting "I was a cabinmate here up to about four years back. Back to speak to a few of the directors. Maybe stick around to see what I can do to help around here if they want me to" he looked distant for a moment before shaking himself "But who are you?" he paused for a moment to work out the best way to address him "little brother" he said shaking the edges of melancholy.

• Like 1

Derrick had been going through so many emotions that day so when he saw the older camper sitting there. As if the randomness of it all took him by surprise. "Ohhhh lilythe told me about you" he said realizing this was the friend she must have talked about. Derrick was taking in the campers look which was a kind of dark mysterious guy. Which he thought was kind of cool, almost like a secret superhero. "soooo how long do you think?" he said curiously as he kind of wanted to hang out with him if he could. Or tag along if he was going to train. Derrick had been following around his siblings to try and get to know them but many told him to go away. "Ohhhh me ummm I am Derrick Raines" he said a bit shyly. He hadn't really had any of them ask him any questions. A smile came on his face when he called him little brother.

Looking at the couch he pointed "Can I sit with you?" 

Hearing that Lilythe had been speaking about him within the camp was a positive, he had been laying low within the camp give her time to think but if she had spoken fondly of him with his siblings here then there might still be a chance. Still he had to set that aside for now.

"Hey Derrick, You're welcome to a seat." He said making sure there was plenty of space on the couch for Derrick to take a seat. "This cabin is even more yours than it is mine." he said reassuringly.

"I was learning with our siblings over in New Rome, about the law and the senate, trying to get used to the balance part of moms gifts rather than the vengeance parts that come so easily." he tried not to dwell on the times his emotions had overtaken him, "But I am back here for now, not sure the camp has a lot of use for me at the moment but I am going to talk to Chiron and see if they need anyone to take some lessons or anything". He seemed to be pretty at ease but not really committed to his answer.

As he looked at the youngster he was glad that the gods had realized they should be claiming earlier than the enforced thirteen year old deadline, it had been tough when he had spent his couple of years with the Hermes cabin, it's better to get settled without being uprooted after a few years in the camp.

He had heard some of the other talking about a capture the flag match coming up but it wouldn't likely call on one quite this young to complete.. although he did remember a fresh faced kid about Derrick's age who got pulled in many years ago just when he got to camp, even before any claiming took place. Though Lilythe's camp ethos seems to be less harsh than the one he remembered. This line of thought seemed to sour his mood slightly, realizing this line of thought was pretty negative he chose to move his thoughts to a more positive topic.

"I have been away studying for a while though so definitely not up to speed. Whats the latest going-ons in the cabin of Nemesis and what has been keeping you busy?" he asked with genuine curiosity, he smiled, happy to be among his siblings in a familiar cabin after such a long hiatus away.

• Like 1

A smile broke across Derrick's face when when Azrael told him he could take a seat. "Thanks" he said quickly. Seeing the spot he walked over and plopped down next to Azrael. Getting comfortable he then looked back up at him kind of excited as if he had been waiting to meet his brother. He listened as he talked about this place called New Rome which he had heard about but could not remember much about it all. "Ummm what is new rome?" he had scrunched up his face as was trying to think about it all. The little he had learned about his cabin he got that they were about balance...well he thought. 

Derrick had a thinking look on his face as he was trying to put the pieces together. He really didn't get all this stuff too much but it was making more sense as time went on. Dustin had done his best to try and explain things when he got there but he also just lost his dad and best friend in one day. The anger that filled Derrick was one that could fuel anyone to go out with a vengeance plan!!!! But all of these thought were put on pause when Azrael asked Derrick a question. Making him shake his head before looking at him. "Ummmmm the camp" derrick put a finger to his cheek squishing it while he tried to think "Well a bunch of kids got claimed like me and I made a friend Octavia who is really nice and cool.....She taught me how to skip stones which I am not very good at but it was fun." Other than that he was trying to think a bit more. He was so much younger than most at the camp it was a bit harder for him to hang out with them. "I don't really know too many in our cabin" he looked down a bit sad "I kind of just follow them around and listen." 

• Like 1

Azrael realized that New Rome was still not a big part of the lives of the younger campers as it as pretty much a parallel between Camp Jupiter and Camp Half Blood. 

"You know how the Greek gods and the Roman gods are pretty close.. like if they changed hats they would look and act pretty similar. Well there is a second camp for the roman kids over on the other side of the country" he hoped that the gods didn't mind his creative licence on their changing roles and personas. "But their camp is a bit bigger with schools and things for adults. but they don't have a fleece like half blood does so their kids do a lot more defending from monsters." He hoped he as making enough sense without going into too much detail for Derrick, he realized back in the day he would have been the quiet kid so he didn't really know how to talk to another, even after all these years.

He thought through hat else would be interesting, pulling out his camp necklace, with its charms for each of his years at the camp he continued "In the same kind of way that campers over here get a necklace, the campers over there get a tattoo when they prove themselves." He pulled back his long sleeve to show a brand on his upper arm, a roman set of letters, SPQR, a pair of vertical bars and a decoration around the outside, in this case a laurel wreath and whip intertwined. "The gods give you this in the same wat we get the charms" He pulled the sleeve back down.

"I have heard about Octavia. Only good things. She's James' little sister right?" he realized having friends at camp as definitely encouraged, especially between cabins. "Nice, I remember doing that with Camp Director Rayne back in the day." he leaned in close "I think those Hermes kids get all that godly flexibility to make them super good at it". He grinned as much remembering the old days, he knew she was just naturally talented but he had put in so long trying to at least match her skills. "She could always find the best stones, a good flat one but not quite round, so you get a good grip for that spin."

Hearing Derrick talk about the rest of the cabin he realized that unless something was done it might never change. He tried to remember ho had been cabin leader last, but that had been four years and a camp life ago.. "Want to help me start getting the cabin talking and interacting a bit more?" he thought through the various bits and pieces that might occupy them without cutting in on the territory of their actual lessons, there was a good amount of space out the back of the cabins that they could use and no one would miss a couple of the archery targets if he made new wooden shielding for them...  "Hmmm... How do you feel about us adding an Axe throwing range out back?"

• Like 1

Derrick was a bit young to know all there was too know about the Gods. Well really he only knew the little bit that Dustin had told him when he arrived. Something about the God's falling in love and having children and he was one....it was strange and sounded like a story to him. If it wasn't for Octavia, maybe he would feel a bit more strange here at camp. "They do? What is it like?" he said questioning about the other camp. It was a bit odd but he ummmmm didn't fully get it all. "So there are even more kids than just us at camp half-blood?" Derrick was just so curious about this whole God's thing. Like did they even care about them at all????

As his older brother just explained more about how different it was over there. "Doesn't that hurt?" he asked with a face of shock at the tattoo. "Like the kids get it too?" he thought to himself he might never go over there. From what he knew about tattoo's it was so painful with the needles and such. He would rather just get the beads every year!!!! This other place sounded a lot rougher than what he was used too. How did little kids like him survive there or did they not? "Ummmmm what did you do to get those ?" Hid finger was pointing to the area where his brothers tattoos were. 

But as they talked about more what Derrick had been up too. He told his brother all about Octavia who was such a kind girl. He hadn't met too many girls like her back home as most of them were gross. They tried to kiss him on the playground which he did not like. Nodding his head to his brothers question "She is his little sister" he said happy to know she has someone like James to take good care of her. "You were friends with Lilythe even back then?" the shock on his face was on that he was shocked. He knew his brother knew her but they were like him and octavia...wow so cool! Nodding his head to his words about the flat stone "That is what Octavia said was a good stone too" he was getting a bit excited as he was now almost sitting on the edge of his seat with all this talk about Octavia. 

Octavia was one of the only campers who really was fun and played games. The others in his cabin just found him annoying and said he was too little to join them on things. "But how do we do that?" he tilted his head cause from what he had known they had always been this way. It was hard enough for the 12 years olds and he was 9! Watching his brother, his next words made Derrick's mouth drop "No way we can do that? Like that would be so cool and and and we can play with the axes for fun....my dad told me they were sharp and dangerous but they look fun and cool!" 

• Like 1

Azrael as happy to keep explaining, he had mixed feelings about New Rome, it had been his place to run off to but it hadn't ever been a home like he as coming to realize the camp had been. He smiled thinking about the time he spent there and how to explain it.

"So their area like camp half blood is called camp Jupiter.. its a bit more of a city feeling, lots of paved paths and neatly built - lots of barracks with a mix of different campers rather than everyone in their own deity cabins and its a bit more like a military school than the camp over here." He took the time to explain "I ended up taking on a bunch of guard duties to help out with the fifth cohort, I mostly wanted to make sure it was all safe there but I ended up getting the tattoo once I got chomped on by a hydra, its kind of like a thank you for helping out."

He had helped out while he had been there but had only pitched in on guard duty and such like rather than being an actual member of a legionnaire, the tattoo was not really expected in the end.. "I wouldn't worry about it - you are serving at camp half blood and the Latin is a bit tough for us to read. But could be fun for a visit - no tattoo guaranteed and they have some really good bakeries in the town." He realized he hadn't shared any with his cabin, just with Lilythe at the picnic, he realized he would need to fix that one if he ever made the trek back.

It was only then that he realized how much the two kids reminded him of the early days running around behind Lilythe, she had been claimed early and even though he had been older the whole unclaimed status had made him a little less open. "Sure - she was a lot more sneaky and carefree back then" he didn't add the before the war, or before all the world had started to weigh her down. Hearing about the stone finding skills of Octavia, Azrael smiled "Good to know you are in good hands with the stone skipping training - and that the cabin is well represented".

Hearing Derrick enthusiastic about the plan of axe throwing, he started to think through the bits needed and smiled "Sure we can - cabin activities are a great plan. and yeah Axes are super sharp and dangerous, that's how you make sure they stick in the wood. Plus we use swords and arrows and everything else - just be careful not to point them at anyone else just like all the other sharp things." he mentally made a note of the need for an 'in case of emergencies' box with ambrosia in it along with wood, axes and some netting but it was pretty straight forward. "I am sure we can work together as a cabin to build it - what do you say then little bro?" he grinned "oh and dont let me forget.. we need to make sure we dont have trees near - I don't want to go annoying the dryads again!"

• Like 1

Azrael had been the first sibling to really talk to him or at least to not to tell him to move away from him. So because of that, Derrick seemed to be intrigued by the older nemesis child. Sitting down to just listen to all the things he had to say. Trying to learn from him as he was in this new place with a bunch of new things. As his bro began to talk about the other place called Jupiter...he thinks. Was stricter than here which didn't sound nice at all but maybe it was okay? "Is that the monster with all the different heads?" he did the sign for cutting off a head which if he was right made it have more heads. This was stuff he learned from James class on monster lore. Then learning forward he looked around and whispered "You were in its mouth??????" 

This new camp sounded a bit better when Azrael expanded on it a bit more but the tattoo did sound scary. Well the other campers also sounded a bit scarier too....I mean if they were all speaking latin and marching around ready for a battle with tattoos. It sounded like a military camp which he had known a bit too much about. With his dads background on things he was almost sent to a few before his dad was ummmm killed. "But do I have to go there? I mean they don't sound too friendly I mean other than the bakeries." 

Derrick had a hard time wrapping his head around the back that lilythe was sneaky and carefree. "WOAH REALLY?" His face showed the shock he felt inside as he had a hard time thinking of the big brother in front of him as being small. Maybe one day he would be big as well and it would be so cool to be like Azrael. He only hoped he would be as cool as him. "Well I will keep trying to get better. I am not the best but I want to get better" he said laughing as he scratched his head. 

With the idea of axe throwing being confirmed, Derrick was almost bouncing in his seat he was so excited. The idea was something he always wanted to try but never got to do. "YES YES YES" he said when Azrael called him little bro. Part of him looked so happy from this. He felt like he was cooler now that he had his older bro to pal around with. "Ohhhhh that would be bad! Sooooo what do we do first? I want to start working on it with you." 

Azrael realised how he was describing the other camp "It's more of a place to visit, they get called up by wolves instead of satyrs and are a bit more Latin so not exactly the same start as is greeks. One day it could be a fun trip though." He thought about the similarities of the camps and that if they were going to stop the old rivalries springing up then they would need to make sure it was more than just the grown ups who visited.

When Derrick mentioned the hydra he realised that it was probably a bit much to scare the youth. "I mean my shoulder at least was... I was just glad some of the other defenders were there to chop its head off.. I know James would say its not the right tactic but I am glad they made the exception." He smiled trying to lighten the situation "a bit hard to fight with two daggers with only one arm.."

As they talked through the plans of axe throwing Azrael took the time to explain his thoughts on a plan. "Of course we can put it together, some good fallen wood, some solid netting and some good fixable targets and we can get started. Plus if you want to give it a paint job we can make sure it looks good too." He was glad to have a project to keep him busy and to better get in touch with his half brother.

"I think there is enough space out back for it. Might even be able to talk the rest of the cabin into giving it a go once we have it built." He would have to be careful throwing axes around but part of why they were there was training and if they had a little fun along the way, so be it.

Edited by Azrael Blackburn
pretty colours
  • Like 1

Derrick listened to Azrael with his mouth falling down as he was more and more amazed at how cool his older brother was. I mean he heard Lilythe say he was a really cool guy but meeting him was so much more. As Azrael talked about the wolves he tilted his head forward with big eyes as this just seemed so cool. I mean they Satyrs were cool too as he had been his best friend for many years and then died saying him "WOAHHHHHHH Wolves......like do they try and eat the demi-gods?" Everything he had ever read about wolves were from national geographic novels. 

His brother not only looked so cool but also was WICKED.  Fighting a Hydra and surviving just meant he was a tough demi-god!!!! "I think that is so dope...I hope I get to work with other dem-gods to fight monsters.....I will take my revenge on the one that killed Forrest." He said looking down as the memory of his best friend made him feel both sad and angry.  He had only talked about it with Dustin and some with Octavia but most of his feelings he tried to stuff down deep inside.

But with the topic change it was good for him to think about something else that did not make him want to punch a wall.....just throw an axe. "Wellllll just tell me what I can do and I will help you." His big smile and wide eyes was all there needed to be to show how happy this made him be. Maybe this would get his other siblings to talk to him a bit more and see him as just a little kid. He was NOT little but just as much of a demi-god as any of them!!!! "Anything to get them to talk to me" he said a bit down cast.  

Derrick just wanted to make more friends but at least he had Octavia which was nice. Since he was so much younger than the others at the camp. But maybe now he would make more friends with the others thanks to Azrael.

• Like 1

Azrael looked over the kiddo and saw the strain of years and weights beyond his age. He smiled over at him.. "The wolves act kind of like the satyrs, help guide the kids into camp.  Well that was roughly how it was described to me at least."

"As for hydra fighting, if its all the same I will skip being monster food again.. I am glad there were good folks fighting alongside me to pull me out of there, literally." he had came close to death a good few times over the years but that one had been pretty touch and go on the medical side - easier to try to brush over it in good humour, there are only so many of those kind of life lessons they youths of the camp needed, at least at Derreks age.

"Forrest? Was that a friend of yours? and what kind of Monster are we looking to track down?" he realized that this did not sound like an idle fancy and knowing both what kind of monster and what would be a risk in combat, plus if he could work out a way for Derrek to follow this one up without the kid throwing themselves into danger he would. Plus if he could talk to James then he could be careful that the topic get covered in monster mythology but in a way that might not get Derrek packing a bag and setting out into the wilds.

"I would try to not let it get you down on the various powers everyone else gets." He said as he remembered how tough it had been to compete with all the other cabins on their own special areas, he had realized late on that competing with Lils on dexterous things like stone throwing or duelling with the Ares kids was always going to be a blow to self esteem. It was only when he was speaking with Derrek that it all came back to him, realizing the same would be in place for this generation of Nemesis Campers. "Mom tends to give us the spark that grows rather than the full on flame when it comes to skills, if you can put in the effort you can be great at whatever you put your mind to."

Seeing that the idea of Axe throwing was appealing enough and might get the rest of the cabin involved brought a smile to his face. He would leave the couple of Axes he had at the bottom of his pack for a while - too easy for temptation to throw them around the cabin before they had a place to use them, but he would make sure to show them to Derrek once they got the range setup.

"I will get the supplies together and we can pull it together in the next week or so. Should be able to get basic tools from the bog house. We can rope in some of the others in the cabin, see if we can get to know them together." He smiled over at Derrek "We can work out the plans together and then share them with the rest of the cabin tomorrow, let them all play a part in putting it up and might get it to be a good shared activity."

• Like 1

This other place sounded super weird to him, Derrick was much happier at Camp Half-Blood for sure! Staring at his brother with big wide eyes. He was just engrossed in their conversation as he would get distracted from time to time when the others would move or say something. Making him turn around to look at them. But looking back he nodded when his brother said he skipped being monster food. "Well I want to fight by your side so that never happened again" he said holding his fist up as he did a hand movement.

He lost his dad, best friend and never knew his mom at all. Derrick did not want to lose Azrael who he had just met but felt so close too. There was something inside of him that just told him he was someone to stick too. "Forest was my Satyr and best friend" he said looking down sadly thinking back to the day it all happened. "It had like lion head with goat middle and a dragon behind....it breathed fire....it was scary but he saved me...............I miss forest" he said sadly as he looked down at the floor. He could feel the tears welling up inside of him as he then hit the couch next to him. As the tears began to fall from his eyes. Wiping them with his arm. 

He was trying to listen to Azrael as he was a cooler older brother of his but he was just feeling many things at once. It was as if he wanted to go back to the beach and just scream. He might be good with hand to hand or even make plants bend at his will. But he was a good friend and a loyal one at that. But with the idea of axe throwing it, it perked him back up. "Do you need help getting stuff from the big house???? I can run errands if you need it. I just I just want to help" he said feeling like he hated sitting around and just wanted to do something. 

Azrael dwelt on the point of fighting alongside others, growing up he had felt a distance from the rest of Nemesis' children, especially after Ethan Nakamura being such a big part on the wrong side of the Battle of Manhattan.. though even then it was a force of balance, likely a big part of why this cabin is even here...

"You know, I think we can get the cabin working together to fix the goals and work as a team.. the monsters stack up against us, should really balance out the sides a bit better. I think we need to stick together." Azrael made a fist in response and shared a solemn fist bump with his little brother.

"I know James is better at explaining these things but Satyrs end up getting reincarnated - born back into nature rather than all the judgement thing, he is likely a young tree or something out there by now." He thought about that - unsure if it was as much of a better cause but would at least explain his careful precautions for gathering scrap wood at least. "Its good to remember him well though. We can see about tracking down the beast if its still out there rather than slinking off to Tartarus where it deserves to be...." he said realizing how much the memories were affecting Derrick.

"Happy to work with you on a range - I am sure we can head by the big house for some salvaged timber and some of the tools from the basement.. see about getting started on building it in the next few days." he nodded as if it were a done deal, this would be enough of a project to keep him from sulking in the cabin and still give Lilythe enough time to think about their new dynamics now he had returned to camp and professed his feelings.

He grinned over at the kiddo suspecting he did not realize how much of a favour Derrick was doing for him working on this distraction/project/plan.

[[wanna go ahead and end this tread and we can start either construction or axe throwing 🙂]]

Edited by Azrael Blackburn
  • Like 1

Derrick looked at his brother with his mouth slightly open as he nodded his head with excitement. He just wanted to be close to his family....after all they were all he had now! But his anger flared up when he talked about Forrest. He was the only person wellll he wasn't a person but satyr but anyways he didn't know the thing about forrest becoming apart of nature "ReAlly?" he said with a shocked face...this would be amazing for forrest after all! That would have been the Satyr's dream to be apart of nature. It was this and Azrael's next comment on hunting the monster down that got him on the edge of his seat. "Can we do that? You You mean you would take me with you to kill it?

His mind was racing between finding the monster and building the axe throwing thing with Azrael...either way it seemed he would get a bunch more time with his older big brother. "When do we start?" he said getting up and looking around. He had to start doing something now cause if he didn't then then he would feel sad. Waving to Azrael as he walked out the cabin he would soon be off helping him get supplies to start their next project!

The end @ Azrael BlackburnPegasus.png

Important Information

Terms of Use