bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Shot Thru the Heart

Dahlia Wakabayashi

Dahlia had been excited about her going to archery range for a bit of fun. Last year was her first year at camp and she had picked up some of the skills then but there was no harm in trying to get better at it over time. So as she stopped by the weapons area for a bow and some arrows. A song was playing in her head as she bobbed it from side to side as she waited for the camper to come back to give them to her. "Thank you, see you next time" she said given them a wave. Throwing the quiver full of arrows over her shoulder, her right hand grabbed the bow as she twirled laughing. Dancing to the song that was playing in her head again. It had been a fun one she found before she came to camp so it was her latest 

Seeing some of her friends on the way to the archery area, she stopped to talk to them for a bit catching up. Then she arrived to see the range was not very full at all. "Ohhh good" she said to herself as she picked lane 2. Setting down her bow for a moment so she could put up her long black hair. Putting the bow in her mouth, she began to pull her hair together as she then held it with one hand as she pulled the bow out of her mouth and around her hair. Tightening it, she felt she was ready to take on the range today.

@ Elijah Quinn

Edited by Dahlia Wakabayashi

Elijah was showing around one of the young campers around the camp. He never considered it as a responsibility but he always loved showing the newbies around. Not only he is helping them familiarize themselves, but he is also helping himself - so he has determined the best route to take in order for both of them to absorb the necessary locations without going back and forth. Today, he decided to show them the pegasus stables and give them a lesson on riding them. "To start, while you can choose who you want to ride, you have to let it choose you. Forming that mental connection is going to help you in a long run. You have to let it trust you." He began as they entered the stables. "Normally, children other than Demeter's aren't allowed to give pegasi lessons since they are in charge. Aphrodite's as well because they help out every now and then so the least I can teach you is horseback riding. You still up for it?"

After the lesson was done, the two parted and Elijah thought it was a good idea to brush up on his marksmanship by going to the archery field. As a child of Apollo, he knew the schedule for instruction so now the field is considered up for grabs since there is no class at the moment. Soon reaching the premises, he entered the wooden weapon barracks that were filled with rows of bows, quivers, and arrows - each neatly organized in their respective groups. Some of the quivers, he could tell, were recently used since they still have some arrows in them. Grabbing a quiver with arrows and a bow, he entered the field - happy to see that there is none other than him and a black-haired lass practicing. He knew her name because she was one of the students he instructed before.

"Dahlia?" He began with squinted eyes, only for them to widen when he could fully recognize her. "Sorry to interrupt. I'm happy to see that you are practicing on your own. I'm not your instructor today since I'm here to practice as well. Even a teacher needs to brush up on their skills, right?

Edited by Elijah Quinn
  • Like 1

Dahlia knew that she had to get her skills up and ready so that she could protect her dad when the monsters came to the farm. When she was younger it had been a bit more alarming as she had no idea about any of it. To think that monsters were real and were after her....was scary! But after last summer, Dahlia had learned how to use a sword, bow and arrow. The camp had a range of different cabin leaders that taught such classes to the campers to give them a chance to live in the world without fear. But no matter how much she practiced last summer the fear still took her over when the first monster came for her when she got back home. It the ADHD did not kick in to get her back into fight mode as she froze for part of it. Maybe she wouldn't have been here today.

Rolling her neck around she picked up her bow and reached for a arrow in the quiver. About to to get ready for some practice she looked over to the person calling her name. Seeing Elijah a smile blossomed on her face as he was the camper who taught her last summer how to do archery. "OHhhh hey Elijah, it is good to see you" her smile was one beaming in the sunlight. "Yeah you could say that, ummmm I had some monsters come around the family farm so I thought I would get better so that I can keep my dad safe" she said truthfully. Thinking of how she did not do the best she sighed. "I think I need a lot more practiced as the monsters got a bit too close for comfort because of my umm lack of skills." 

Archery class was taught by none other than Chiron himself but he does get help from the children of Apollo should they volunteer. Elijah was one of them as he enjoyed showing the ropes to campers on how to shoot arrows. It's an important skill to learn just as learning how to use other weapons. If the campers can apply the techniques learned from this class to other ranged weapons, then he would consider it a job well done. The field was bound by a wooden fence and on the far side are targets for anyone to shoot at. Every month, Chiron and the children of Apollo hold archery rounds to see which camper can get the highest score and who needs improvement. There's no prize other than bragging rights but these contests are held to see how far campers got.

"It's good to see you too." He responded with none other than a smile back. Really, it is. She was one of the campers who tried her best on every archery lesson and her dedication made her stand out to him. Elijah also admired her name because she's pretty as the flower she was named after but he was certain other campers share the same thought. "Yeah, you mentioned your family owns a farm? How are they if you don't mind me asking? Are they alright?" Or rather, he was curious to know. He wanted her to see him as more than the guy who gives archery lessons but as a friend too. Someone she can rely on. "I admire your dedication and resolve. You shouldn't beat yourself up, Dahlia - but you are right that you need more practice. The more you do it, the more likely you'll shoot the arrow accurately without even thinking about it. Muscle memory, right? It's a common theme for camp training."

Elijah glanced around just to make sure no one else is on the field. "Since both of us is here, why don't I give you some pointers? Consider it a private lesson. I'm not Chiron but I'm proficient. What do you say?"

• Like 1

The story of the demi-god were a sad one as they were hunted by monsters their whole lives if they were not at Camp Half-Blood or New Rome. This meant they had to train for their hard lives as nothing was fair. Granted they were given abilities but what good were they if they did not train to use them. This had happened to her as her family and her were chased by this big bad group called the Yakuza. Dahlia had screamed and the plants around her seemed to react and grow. As if she wished them too. Since she was claimed, Dahlia had been working on this ability to further her strength as a demi-god. However, today was one she was going to try and work on her long range skill. Knowing that practice makes perfect she was about to do her best when Elijah showed up.

There were just some people you tend to have a little crush on. Seeing Eli again that feeling from last summer had come back. As his words of he was happy to see her too made the butterflies go in her stomach. "Ohhhh that is nice" she said with a sweet smile. As a strand of her black hair fell in her face, her hand reached to grab it and put it behind her ear. He was a very kind guy she enjoyed being around last year as he was always so kind in helping her with her archery. Her thoughts were one that wondered a bit but when she came back she realized he had paid attention to her last year when they spoke. A blush going on her cheeks "Ohhhh yes my dad does own one and well he is doing great with the harvest going well with the soybeans this year.....I mean the monsters make it a bit harder from time to time but I have been trying to keep them away." There was just something about him paying attention to her that made her ummmm glush a bit. 

Nodding her head to him telling her he ADMIRED her dedication was one that made the blush redden more. "Oh yes that is why I am here....I just wanted to get better and get my aim better if I can." She looked at the bow in her hands which was like the one she had back home. Her eyes never leaving him as she looked back. He was looking around but she wanted to see what he had to say. "PPPPPPRivate lessons.......um yeah that would be great" her heart was leaping in her chest as the two of them would get some time together. The smile on her face was one of excitement as this was a great opportunity for both practice but also time with the boy she had been crushing on since last summer. 

As she got in her stance she held the blow close to her face with the arrow pulled against it. "ummmmm how is my stance?

Elijah was not initially interested in helping out Chiron with archery coaching. He was a shy little kid unlike most Apollo children but he grew his confidence with the help of his mother who was a singer. She taught him how to sing and it was singing that helped him overcome that barrier. Songs assisted him in expression of emotion and if he liked one, he'll sing to it very soon. When approached the centaur again, he thought helping him out will help him further in getting out of his shell. Teaching was not his best skill but archery is something that he excelled in so he was confident in instructing campers how to perform better. Dahlia became one of the students he met last year so he gave his attention to her and the other newer campers. He loved building rapport and got to know her a little more but the two only engaged in small talk here and there. "Right, your dad owns it." He remembered her mentioning it but he must have forgotten it. "I think it's brave that you're protecting the farm on your own. Since you are here, I want you to leave camp knowing that you can protect your crops better. I like your initiative."

Happy to hear her response, he wanted to be the one to oversee her progress and work with Chiron on how to make her better. With a camper that bears the right character, he believed she can grow to have better aim. "Your foot position provides the foundation of proper shooting posture. The sooner we can correct it, the better. The distance is a little bit wide so move your feet shoulder-width. And keep your knees slightly bent. Have your elbow point opposite from the target over there. Everyone is different so be sure to find a stance that fits you. Now stay there." He approached her from the back, both of his hands placing on top of hers so he could guide her into the correct position despite his face being awfully close to her's. "There we go. Now shoot.

• Like 1

Going to camp half-blood was one of the best things that could have ever happened to her. As she was struggling to make friends after moving from Kyoto. At least she had her dad well that was until the monsters attacked. Causing an explosion and her being separated from her dad. There was a lot of crying that summer after she arrived. It wasn't until her Satyr friend went out to find her dad which he did in the middle of winter. Her dad had been searching for her worried she had gotten hurt. Being reunited with him once again which was filled with hugs and crying. "He does, we had to rebuild a lot of things after the monster attacks but it is going well now at least." she finished saying thinking about it all. "Ohhhh thanks Eli" a blush on her cheeks "I want to be able to protect my dad and farm too....I want them to fear me when I have a bow in my hands" she said this with a lot of ferocious. 

Dahlia knew that time alone with Eli was pretty awesome and that she would get to learn a lot from him....well that was if she didn't get distracted by him. Getting into her stance she heard him say something about the foot stance. This made her look down to correct it so it would be better as he was right. It was the foundation to everything she did with the bow. "Got it" she said waiting for more instruction as he continued.  Feeling him come behind her, OH MY GOSH he was so close to her. Feeling the butterflies in her stomach she could not help but love that she was getting lessons from him. Gluping as he said she was ready, her eyes looked forward as she took the shot, the arrow went through the air onto the bullseye on the target. "I did it, i did it" she said with the biggest smile looking to Eli and blushing. 

Elijah found her declare for monsters to fear her quite campy but he knew she's got the idea. Knowing that the situation with her father is well now, he wished he could have done something to help her last summer like offering her private lessons. He knew that they were not close enough for him to be involved as he felt that he was just an archery tutor to her but the need to help someone drove him conspicuously. It was not until the fall of last year that Chiron allowed him to offer private lessons as he preferred to trust him to instruct the right material. "On the bright side, there's nothing to fear about you here." A smile etched on his face as he flashed her a wink, amused by his own little commentary. "Still, I will do my best to guide you into the right direction. Whether or not your arrows hit your targets, that is up to you."

He began to examine her stance as he continued to instruct her, giving her hand gestures for her to adjust her body as he needed. The changes he made were not too much as she almost has her foundations done - just needed a few tweaks. When he got close to her, he placed a soft hold onto her arms, wrists, and hands so he could adjust their positions in accordance to her build. He then maintained a firm grip on her wrists as to not let his hands get in the way but for her to really get into the enter of the target, he had to position his face awfully close to her from the back of the head as his nose and lips could be enshrouded by her black locks. To the outside observer, this could be a chance to tell and spark unnecessary rumors about them which was why he glanced around before approaching earlier. Finally, she releases the arrow with a loud pronounced cracking SNAP of the bow string, causing him to part from her person. The shaft streaks from the longbow with speed until it pierced the desired area. He could not help but flash her a wide grin. "You certainly did! I'm proud of you, Dahlia. Now focus on practicing that and then I'll have someone from the Hecate Cabin make the targets move around. What's growing without a challenge, right?"

• Like 1

Eli was one of those older characters who she looked to last year as wise as they had spent several summers here at camp half-blood. They had knowledge on fighting monsters that she was just now gaining. It wasn't surprising to her that so many half-bloods died before they even got to the camp as monsters were out for their blood. This put so many in danger but thankfully the satyr's were out there looking for them. Then lessons with the cabin leaders once they arrived slowly began to teach them the skills they needed to survive in a world full of monsters. Dahlia felt her heart almost stop when Elijah next comment happened as he sealed it with a wink. This made her go red as a beet. "Ohhhhhh" she tried to play with her hair to hide her face. "Yeah it is up to me, but I will keep working on it to get better." She finished saying as she was trying to get in control of her emotions. Eli winked at her, Dahlia......omg!!!!

Standing there it felt like time was going so slow as she watched his hand gestures to move herself to the right position. Feeling him come in close made her want to sequel but she just had to do that inside as she was trying to not be that weird girl. There was something inside of her that wanted him to stay this close as he moved away for her to shoot the shot. A mix of butterflies but excitement was in her stomach. She had never been so close to a boy before well not like that. Dahlia had been so excited she looked to Elijah for approval as she felt weird feelings inside. "Okay I can do that" she said with a shy nod. Turning back to the target in front of her she would now keep on with her practice today. Pulling another arrow she thought of the LOTR elf Legolas who was a master shooter. The books were another that inspired her as a child to want to live in a fantasy world. Getting her stance she moved herself as she thought back to Eli corrections. Trying to get some muscle memory. Pulling the arrow back feeling it before she exhaled and released the arrow. This time it struck close to the center. 

Putting it down she knew this would take time "Sooo Eli what ummmm got you to start shooting arrows? I mean did you when you came to camp or did you do it before?" She knew his dad was a master at archery well so was his aunt. 

Her tutor observed as she proceeded with her next move. He had his eyes on the position of her overall upper body while noting her stance. When she released another arrow, it zoomed through the air, piercing a spot on the ring preceding the center. Well, not everyone gets it on their first try but it certainly is better than shooting farther from the center or missing the target entirely. He can't gauge her progress just yet but he felt like she can shot better when she puts in enough time and effort into her aim. So assuming she does enter one of their archery contests, she could score high with that determination. It certainly will be a while until their slot to use the archery field is up so he decided to take advantage of the time they have with her training... and a bit of talking. Elijah doesn't mind as the two had not talked much since they first met last summer.

"I had a satyr friend who enrolled me into this archery program so he took me to their classes couple times a week. Like yourself, I was not the best at shooting arrows at first but I somehow produced accurate and precise shots within a short period of time. My peers could do the same as well but they could not keep up with the streak. Then they had me shoot two arrows, then three, then four... along with some other shots that seemed far to advanced for others. I almost felt like Hawkeye, that one Marvel dude." He could not help but chuckle. "Samuel. He passed away so swordplay and archery is the only thing I have left of him. Who knew someone close to us is a satyr all this time? I didn't care though. I thought he looked cooler." He paused. "Sorry for that little sob story."

• Like 1

Dahlia knew her abilities could only get her so far which she found out the hard way when she was saved by the satyr who was living next door to her last year. If it wasn't for him.....maybe her and her dad would not have survived. Coming to camp was an eye opening experience as she found out she was not alone. Being in Cabin 4 once she was claimed was so nice. They were all so supportive in showing her the abilities they all had and even talked about some of the rarer ones. The cabin did a lot together like eating in the mess hall or even training. Getting basic training was not enough for her as she wanted to do more, much more. When her arrow hit the ring next to the center she knew she could do better, but it took practice. This was not a natural thing to her and the fact she was doing this well was from all the training she did last summer. 

Dahlia wanted to know more about Elijah as he was a bit of a mystery to her. Listening how his Satyr enrolled him in a class, she smiled as she nodded along with his story. It was quite amazing that he was so good at shooting more than one. She wondered if he would do that now??? "No it is fine, I mean it isn't fine that it happened but it is okay for you to talk about it" she finished saying hoping he understood what she meant. "I am lucky my Satyr was so close to help me when he did, he was a farmer boy who lived at the farm close to me....so he was the one that saved me when monsters came hunting me." A shiver ran down her spine so she shivered. Monsters were things she did not like but they would only come more and more as she grew up as her scent would become stronger. "Ummmm Eli can you ummmmmmm show me how you shoot more than one arrow? ............pleaseeeeeeee" 

"That's very good. I'm happy to hear that." He spoke after listening to experiences with her satyr friend. Everyone has their own satyr with some being the same. Ever since Percy's deal with the gods, the creatures have been out and about tracking demigods and doing their best to bring them here. Some more hesitant to go, others just eager to leave what they considered to be a mundane life. Everyone's experiences is different but there are also those that aren't very straightforward, those who met their satyr far earlier. "My encounter with a satyr might be something you may not expect, but since we're on the topic... Mine was my mom's manager. She was a famous singer back then." He paused. "The three of us were inside a cargo van along with my mom's agency's staff members. We were heading towards an event in Arizona when a hellhound and this one is rather huge for what I knew- just lunged towards us and rammed us. The van flew and tipped over, I think. When I woke up, myself, mom, and Mr. Oak was alive. We weren't sure how but we were still breathing. That's when he told us he's a satyr to explain how we're still alive."

Elijah did not want to let his thoughts wander to his death so it was good timing that she had asked him how to shoot with more than one arrow. He was unsure if he can actually do it since she was just starting but it would not hurt to help her see what is it like. He shrugged. "Fine, fine. Come on. Grab two arrows from your quiver and return to your usual stance." Watching as she did as was instructed, he began to approach her once more to guide her hand, arm, and elbow positions before forming a firm grip to her wrist once again. "This time, hold your arrows like this." He had her hold the rear of the shafts between her fingers until they are lined up nearly as parallel to each other. "So for two arrows. It's a bit easier since all you need is for them to be lined up like that. Now the difference is the weight. See how you sort of feel that your hand is heavier and the bow? Because you added the weight of another arrow. You'd want to adjust your stance to take that into account. Even just a little bit." He nodded. Elijah neared his face towards her black locks again, eyeing on the target as well as she could.

"And shoot."

Important Information

Terms of Use