bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Can he be useful in his plan?

Shadow Moore

Shadow meet a young boy by the name of Loukas, he happen to be a new half brother of his. The boy has only been at the camp for about three years, and he seemed to keep to himself. On day while Shadow was lounging in the Hecate cabin, the boy came up to him and ask Shadow to help him learn to control the mist. Shadow figured showing his half brother couldn't hurt anything, but a thought ran past him on whether or not the boy could be used. If he was to so this boy how to use the mist and help him gain a good control over it, and then maybe just maybe he could use him as an escapegoat. 

Shadow smiled at the boy and agreed to help me. They both talked and agree to meet up later that night when the moon was high, out by the lake. 

That night the moon was high full and bright, this moon couldn't be a better moon to ask for during a night of practicing to manipulate the mist. Shadow showed up to the lake about ten minutes before time, because he wanted to test the boy. He manipulated the mist around him to give the appearance that he had started a bonfire for them. This was a simple illious and didn't need a lot of concentration to keep it going. Shadow wanted to see if the boy could spot that the mist was being used or if he falls for the illusion like any other camper would. Now most skilled Hecate children can spot the illusion, but some who are young and don't know as well sometimes have a harder time spotting an illusion. 

@ Loukas Makris  

Loukas was looking forward to the opportunity to meet with Shadow. Even though he had been at camp for a few years now there were not too many campers he considered friends. But those few he did had been encouraging him to branch out and get to know people better; especially his Hecate half siblings. His close friend Sage had been poking him all week about it, telling him he’d never get over his blockers with magic if he never reached out for help. Most of the other Hecate children seemed to really enjoy learning and expanding their gifts and Loukas had to admit he kinda wished he could too. Out of all the abilities Hecate had gifted her children, the one that intrigued him the most was the mist.

Again he had Sage to thank for that too, she seemed to have a knack for reading her friends and knowing what could be good for them. It also helped that she was a bit of a stalker too, she collected her “files” on many campers, collecting information about them. So when he agreed to the idea of learning to better control he mist she already knew exactly who he should ask.

So that is how Loukas found himself out late at night by the lake, a spot he had often visited on his own. Seeing that Shadow was already there he picked up his pace wondering if maybe he had gotten the time wrong. “Sorry if I’m late!” he apologized as he walked toward the bonfire excited to feel its warmth. As he approached it though something seemed off, if they were to meet in private why light a very noticeable fire? Beyond that though something else seemed off or strange about it. Loukas could not say what exactly but this sense was trying to tell him something. “That’s not real is it?” he asked Shadow, pointing at the fire.

• Like 1

Shadow had only been there for maybe ten minutes, not that long. Plus it was Shadows own doing to be early on purpose. When he seen the boy in view, he waved at him as he hurried over, apologizing for being late. Shadow laughed, "No your not late" he said with a chuckle. As the boy approached Shadow was watching his facial expressions and body language. He could tell that the boy was convinced at first, until he got closer. The boys face showed confusion, causing Shadow smile. "No this fire is not real" he says with a wave of his arm and the illiouson is gone. The fact that he has some since to the possibility of an illusion gives some promise for the kid. Maybe Loukas has a good connection with the mist like he does. Not all the Hecate children focused on their powers with the mist like Shadow did. The mist was Shadows favorite ability. 

"Alright, Loukas, first things first. What if any, do you know about controlling the mist around you?" he questions him. Shadow needed to know where the boy stood to figure out what he could start with, whether it's the bare minimum or a lot, and was just never taught on the techniques of it.

Though generally reserved, Loukas could not help but allow some signs of amazement to show on his face as he observed the illusion dissipate before him. Amazement, and a small bit of pride in himself for knowing that all was not as it appeared to be. He could see now why the mist was a power that made other campers uneasy. For the first time that he could remember he felt himself drawn to it, wanting to understand how he could learn to master something like that. Sage was certainly right, Shadow did seem well suited as an instructor. Loukas just hoped that he could be an adequate student.

Most of what I know just came from books,” he admitted. While much of his father’s house and belongings had been destroyed during the magical explosion, a handful of books had made it unscratched. A couple of those had made mention of this gift and the properties wherein. Lately he’d found himself sneaking off on his own at nights to try and practice what he’d read. The results had been decent, but not to the standard he hoped, not without a teacher.

I know what the mist is and what one can do with it. But until recently I haven’t felt comfortable exploring that myself…things have changed though. And I want to learn. There’s someone I care about and if I don’t learn to use my gifts then how can I protect her?” Loukas asked, possibly admitting too much, but he hoped he’d sounded sincere, Shadow was probably his best chance to master this skill.

Shadow listened, even smirked a little when the boy said he got his information from books. Shadow was not much of a reader, and if he didn't have to, then you would never find him with any type of book. "Book are good sometimes, but learning how to control the mist, books won't get you anywhere" He commented. Shadow mastered the mist because he learned early on that, controlling it took a lot of shelf control which you can't learn from books. As the boy continued, he chuckled a bit when the boy admitted to wanting to perfect his control, to protect a girl. All He could think about was this young boy wanted it to protect, and he is using his to control. Shadow pounder the thoughts for the moment, and convinced himself that he was using his to protect Lilythe, even if he had to control her a bit. 

"Good to know, well first let's see if you can do a simple illusion, if at all. Watch and try to copy" Shadow takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly, relaxing his body in an exaggerated way for the boy to see. Within seconds a small rose appeared in Shadows hand. "It doesn't have to be rose, but concentrate one a specific type of flower, relax, and let you mind control the mist around you to make it appear" he instructs with a smile. Shadows illusion's are so much more powerful, that he can hold his illusion as if they were tangible.

While Shadow was well past the need for books, they were all Loukas had up until this point. He’d read how important posture could be for this sort of skill and how it could make or break its success. As Shadow had pointed out though, reading about it was a poor substitute for actually getting to watch someone do it. This was just the opportunity Loukas needed as all his own attempts had been unsatisfactory; probably because of poor posture he mused. Now he had the chance to observe in person so he did his best to study and memorize everything Shadow did. Astonished, he saw him materialize the rose from nothing.

A mix of excitement and nerves filled the boy when he realized it was now his turn to try this. He quickly stood in a similar stance as he saw Shadow had done. He wasn’t sure if that part was important or not but he wasn’t going to leave anything to chance. Taking in a slow deep breath he concentrated on the mist. Allowing his mind to be guided by the same voice/feeling that had first told him the bonfire wasn’t real. Letting the breath go he focussed on the form of the flower he wanted to create, a sunflower. Sage’s favorite and one that was easy for him to let his mind settle on.

Opening his eyes, he didn’t even know he had closed them at first, he saw the shape of the flower twist and take form until it was complete. Well, somewhat complete, he wasn’t Shadow and the flower he’d made still had a wispy look about it, as if it wasn’t fully solid and could be blown away by the wind. It was, however, much better than anything he had tried making before and he couldn’t help but grin in excitement. “Look!” he proclaimed. ”I did it!”

• Like 1

"Good first attempt kid" Shadow says with a small laugh at how excited the boy was. Shadow let his rose go and he faded back into nothing. Walking closer to the boy, he stopped just inches from him. Shadow smiled as he grabbed Loukas hand, making a small rose petal appear into Loukas' hand. "Focus on mine, and copy the rose petal" Shadow held his hand out next to Loukas' hand that hand the petal "Copying will be easier than pulling from memory, which will help make it look more solid." Shadow could see the potential in the young boy. 

"Once you can make the petal solid, without one of mine to copy from, we will move into making a few more petals at one time." Smiling at the boy he commented "You have a lot of potential making a full flower on your first try, even if it wasn't completely solid" wanting to keep his confidence up. He was planning on starting with small steps first but he wanted to see where the boys powers were at, at this time. He was suspicious about the fire, and than was able to make a full flower on his first attempt, this kid was definitely going to be similar to Shadow, once he learns to fully control his power.  

Loukas could feel his confidence growing from his older half-brother's praise. He had originally been very hesitant in even asking for the training in the first place. A mix of feeling uncomfortable with his powers and uncertainty if he would even be able to pick it up. It had been Sage’s constant persistence that had finally worn him down. Now though he was glad she had, for the first time he felt less a stranger to the other Hecate kids. He was beginning to understand now that the mist wasn’t something to be feared or confused by, it was a gift and a power that few possessed. Not only that but apparently a power he had a knack for. With this newfound confidence Loukas observed Shadow's next lesson intently.

Watching the rose petal appear in his hand he still couldn’t help but be a little shocked to see it come from nothing. “Copy the rose petal” he repeated. Shadow was right, being able to see what he had to create felt easier than trying to picture it in his mind. “Like sketching over a drawing” he said softly to himself. He let his gaze fall over the petal, looking at its color, the texture, the way it curved, every detail he could notice. Once he felt like he’d couldn’t take in anymore he shifted his gaze to Shadow's outstretched hand. Tapping into “the feeling” which he now guessed must be his connection to the mist he copied the rose petal. Slowly at first, but then faster as he got the outlines done, it appeared. “Wow, that is a lot easier than memory!” he proclaimed, it wasn’t a perfect copy, but it was a rose petal and much more solid than his previous attempt at a whole flower. “Did I do that right? What’s next?” he asked excitedly.

"Good!" he says as he sees the flower pedal appear, it's almost solid. Shadow smiled at the boy, who was so excited. "Your doing great! Let's try to replicate another flower pedal, this focus on how a real petal feels" grabbing Loukas' hand again, Shadow makes another rose petal appear, this time tangible. "Feel the petal, focus on how it feels. This time don't focus on the details right now, just focus on making the petal feel tangible in my hand." Rose petals were the easiest flower to imitate for a beginner. Shadows strategy was to get Loukas to really focus on each detail of making the perfect rose petal from the mist, in sections. Once he could perform each one separately then we would focus on putting them all together. 

Shadow held his hand out for Loukas, "Make me believe I am holding the petal" he says with a smirk. "Making something from the mist feel tangible is hard, but you are picking up things like a natural. So we are going to jump to this" taking a breath, Shadow focuses on the boy "I know a rose petal isn't fun, but we will focus on a rose petal until you can make it solid, tangible, and smell" he continues "The only issue you have with it being solid in looks, is it just seems like your not giving yourself the confidence you need to have."  

By this point Loukas could feel his confidence building with each successful completion of Shadow’s instructions. It made so much sense now, breaking up complicated creations into small baby steps. This was going so much better than his own solo attempts at forming with the mist. “I think I’m beginning to get the hang of this…ok…more petals….I can do this!” Loukas said taking a breath, while not exhausted he could feel a small exertion from the work done thus far. This only fueled his excitement though as he re-focussed his attention on the petal. “Concentrate on how it feels” he repeated to himself, allowing his mind to shift to things like the unique texture of the petal or the small, barely noticeable weight that it brought to his hand “Make it tangible”.

Slowly but surely another petal began to form as Loukas worked the mist to his will. As it formed he did his best to force his mind to concentrate on feeling over detail as he was instructed. Any time his thoughts strayed to how it looked he gently shifted them back to focusing on how it felt. And sure enough just as before another rose petal came to life. “Well?” he asked. “How was that one? Was it tangible enough?” as he eagerly awaited the older boy’s feedback.

• Like 1

Shadows eyes went wide and he smiled big, "You did it! On your first try!" he exclaimed. Shadow was shocked, being self taught he never did get his things on the first try. He wondered if he had someone to truly take the time and teach him that he would of done it on the first try. Shaking his head, getting away from the thought, looking at his little brother happily. Shadow folded his hand into Loukas hand for him to feel his work, "Your studies add with my help, may have been the best thing for you! Let this one go now, and try doing just its looks again, lets see if you can nail the look" he says with pride in his voice for his little brother. 

Shadow dropped his pedal, wanting Loukas to pull from memory "No more pedal to look at, concentrate. You got this!" Shadow gave Loukas some space, letting him work the mist. "Once your happy with how your pedal looks, then I want you to try to combined the looks with the feel of it" he said with a nod, encouraging him to go ahead. At this point shadow knew a few more nights of work, and building the confidence in Loukas, he would be ready. Shadow got a small smirk across his face thinking about the possibilities of having a younger brother, that is taking after him on controlling the mist.

Loukas allowed himself to let out an excited “Woo hoo!” at Shadow’s surprised praise. Growing up, the only family he’d ever knew about was his father, and that had been a cold relationship at best. With no siblings to grow up with it was a weird adjustment coming to camp and having multiple suddenly thrown at him. At last though he was finally warming up to them and was very happy with how it was going to have an older sibling tutor him. Shadow had gone through camp and had to learn to control and master his abilities just like Loukas was doing. Now well into their training season he was beginning to really look up to his older sibling. “Good to know all that time hitting the books wasn’t completely wasted then” he chuckled.

Listening to Shadow’s instructions he furrowed his brow instinctively. This feat would be a challenge, but if he could accomplish the first two then he was confident he could combine both methods now. “Ok, here goes nothing!” Loukas’ initial assessment was correct, not having a reference anymore was a challenge, but he did have the memory of what the petal should look like so he drew on that.

Once again forming the outline of a new petal, or at least how a petal should look according to his memory. It didn’t come along as quickly as the other attempts had but finally the outline was complete. Following Shadow’s instruction he then recalled how the petal felt in his closed hand and combined that with his memory of it; and with a final push the petal became whole. Looking at his work now he made a slight face, it was a petal, but between his three attempts this one had been a bigger struggle. “Hmm I didn’t realize just how helpful it was to have a visible reference” he stated, “But I guess it’ll come with repeated practice?

Shadow laughed and smiled big as the boy attempted it "Your doing great! We are going to work on the rose petal a few times with a visual and then have you do it without visual again and see how it goes" as he finished what he was saying, he held his hand out and made a rose petal appear back into his hand. The night was starting to fade, which for shadow that wasn't a big deal, but for his younger brother it could cause some issues. "The night is coming to an end, so I know our power fades some, but if you keep practicing and we can meet more often, you will start to be able to do some of these illusions during the day, but we won't worry with you doing that for awhile" he commented as he pointed out the night fading into morning. 

Shadow kept the petal up in view "Lets see if we can squeeze in a few more tries with the visual and see what happens from there" he says smiling at Loukas. "Just focus and breath, don't try to push to hard" he tells him. 

“Well as far as practice goes, this is actually pretty fun. Much better than practicing for something like homework or P.E.” Loukas admitted. It certainly didn’t hurt that he had a such a talented instructor in Shadow too. It felt like in just one night he had accomplished more than in the weeks he had tried on his own. Time had certainly flown by though, Loukas had not even realized the darkness was starting to fade until Shadow had mentioned it to him. “Hmm, maybe that’s one reason why my last attempt felt more difficult. Still, I’m up for trying a few more times and I plan on practicing a lot more often now. It would be really cool to get to do this during the day too!

With renewed enthusiasm Loukas began practicing again in earnest. Even as the sun was just ever so slightly creeping up on the horizon he still managed to produce a few more rose petals switching between using and not using a visual reference. “I feel like I’m really getting the hang of this. I wouldn’t mind meeting again, after I’ve practiced this some more. Thanks again for agreeing to this, I feel like I really owe you one!” he said with sincerity. 

• Like 1

As the son came up, Shadow smiled at Loukas "I say we call it good for now. I would like for you to practice more, and we can meet up in a couple weeks maybe" he tells Loukas. Shadow had thought about what all the boy needed to learn before he was really any use to him. The way Loukas was progressing thought, made Shadow very hopeful. He feels that he could have him pretty well set in just a few more trainings, and then the real fun could began. 

"The next time we meet, I want you to be able to produce a stuffed bear teddy that I can grab hold of. If you can do that, and convince me that it could be a real teddy bear, we will work on fire, and some mind manipulation. So practice hard, and I will see in a couple weeks" Shadow smiles and pats the boy on the shoulder as he walks past him. 

(end)

Important Information

Terms of Use