bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Stab Stab Stab Jab Cross....Do it Again

Kenna Rhys

Kenna was doing a few things more before she went back home to her mom in North Carolina. The holidays were a bit fun to come back to camp for so she wanted to do it again. Seeing some more of her friends plus getting some extra training in in the forge was good for her. But today she was not in the forge as she was in the arena with a sword she had made. Trying to see how it held up before she gave it to some of the other campers who had been waiting for them. 

Closing her eyes she opened them to stab, stab, stab, jab and then cross with the sword which felt so natural in her hands. Smiling that her work had been improving since the summer, made her feel like she was doing what her father would have wanted. Closing her eyes she began to imagine a monster in front of her that she was fighting.

@ Samantha Adams

• Haha 1

Unsurprisingly to most, Samantha was a morning person and had already been up for a couple hours planning out her day. It was still morning and she'd decided to head to the training arena to get some practice in. This was usually a time when it was relatively empty which is what she'd preferred because despite being a daughter of Athena she had never quite picked up a knack for hand-to-hand combat training. This way she could practice her stances and motions without too many eyes on her as she would feel like she was being judged for her lack of skill. She was now determined to apply all her discipline into improving. 

So Samantha was a little surprised to see there was already another camper in the arena; Kenna! Well that wasn't too bad, while they hadn't interacted much she seemed like a good kid and usually kept to herself so this shouldn't be a problem. Standing there she watched the daughter of Hephaestus go through her paces, admiring how natural it seemed to her. When Kenna turned around Samantha waved to her smiling. "Hello Kenna! Do you mind if I train here too?" she asked.

Edited by Samantha Adams
keeping it canon
  • Like 1

Kenna was not one good with other people, unless it was her own half-siblings. They were all for the most part, were awkward and weird like she was. So it was a bit easier to fit in with them than anyone else. So when she heard someone say her name, she just dropped the sword. "Oooooooooppppp" she said was she watched it land on the ground. Turning she looked totally embarrassed as she was it was none other than the older Athena Camper Samantha. Kenna did not know too much about her other than she was really smart. Kenna had not spent too much time with others in the camp as she was just so shy. "Hi Samantha" she got out with a little shy wave as she then walked over to get her sword. 

"No you can" the look on her face was of total embarrassment. It had only been one summer that she had gotten training under her belt! Getting the sword she held it up in the sun to get a good look at it all. Making sure her work was not hurt in any way! Then turning back to sam she wondered what she was training with. It was well known that Athena Campers could use almost any weapon and adapt to it with ease. "Ummm Samantha.....what weapon are you using?" 

Samantha really didn't know too many of the Hephaestus cabin campers, her interactions with them were limited other than when she needed a weapon forged or repaired. Plus, they mostly seemed to prefer keeping their own company not to mention how awkward they were in conversations. Samantha even felt a little bad for them, being introverted must be so lonely, here was her chance now to get to know one better and maybe even draw them out of their shell? Yes, that's what she would do and she just knew Kenna would thank her for it. "Ohh no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! I'm actually glad you're here I don't think we've had the pleasure of a proper introduction. I'm Samantha of course" she said extending her hand.

"What weapon am I training with? Wellllll I usually prefer to start with swords but this morning I figured I would......" she paused, thinking the situation over. She wanted to practice her poses and flows of hand to hand wrestling, but was embarrassed now at how Kenna might react to seeing how bad she was at it. Getting the stance just right meant the difference between victory or falling flat on your back, exposed to the enemy for a fatal blow. Often during practice the campers would line up and and round robin their way through one-on-one wrestling tournaments. Samantha just knew that one day she might have to face Evelyn and there's no way she could ever live it down if she lost. Well she thought, it was better for Kenna to see her struggle than for Evelyn to beat her. "I figured I would practice my stance and flows. You see, I'm not very good and need the practice. How about you? What are you up to? In fact, I don't think I really know much about you. Tell me everything!" she proclaimed with a warm smile.

• Like 1

Kenna shyly looked at the older camper who she knew as one of the STRICT Athena Campers. The girl was not mean...no just had a lot of rules others must follow. With Kenna being in the forges most the day she hadn't had to worry about getting tangled up with her too much! "Ohhhh" she squeaked out when Samantha introduced herself. "I I I am Kenna" she said pointing to herself. This is when the blush began to take over her face as she did not know what to do. Taking the girls hand she smiled as she shook it. Seeee the other day she made a friend Julia and now she was talking to an older camper!!!! It was possible for her to make friends. 

Kenna did not want to be rude but she wanted to make sure whatever weapon Samantha had it was in great condition. But the girl turned the table on her saying it was just the stance and flow she would be working on with going on to ask her about her KENNA....Ohhhhh nooooo she would totally talk about weapons and forge stuff but to talk about her.....ohhh the anxiety. Reaching into her pocket she began to fidget with her little machine to calm her down. "Ohhhhhhh me umm I am not that interesting" pausing she was trying to figure out the words to say. "I am just a child of Hephaestus and I like building things YES I LIKE BUILDING THINGS" she felt proud of herself coming up with this all together.  

"Wait here" she said running back to her bag she looked at the different things she brought. There was this beautiful dagger in all its material!!!! As Kenna grabbed it she walked back and presented it to Samantha. "Practice with this! I made this with my older brother Stefan who told me I could give it to a camper......I thought you would like it." 

• Thanks 1

Samantha did her best to stifle a giggle as the poor frightened Hephaestus girl squeaked out her name. She could see her embarrassment, this poor girl clearly was inexperienced when it came to social skills. Samantha could read just about anybody but Aphrodites so she easily picked up on Kenna's kind and gentle soul. This little girl might be shy but she wanted friends and lucky for her she was about to make friends with the best girl on camp! Samantha’s motherly instincts kicked in as she promised herself internally she’d protect this precious little treasure.

Awwwww sweaty, I’m sure you are VERY interesting. You Hephaestus campers build things right? That’s an incredible skill, something I could never do. We all have our talents and strengths and Athena can teach us how to use them to accomplish all of our goals. As long as you don’t allow yourself to get distracted!” she warned at the end. She knew Kenna was probably too shy to ever get in trouble with boys or other interruptions, but a good lecture never hurt anyone.

Smiling, she waited patiently watching Kenna run to her bag, curious what the girl would bring back. When she saw what it was she was struck by the genuine kindness shown to her. “Kenna, thank you so much! You didn’t have to do this?! I absolutely will practice with it. You know what, who needs stance training? I wanna test this out!” she beamed turning from the dagger back to Kenna. “Want to practice with me?” she challenged.

• Like 1

It was hard for her to be more outgoing but she was trying to talk to this older camper. "Yeah we build things and make things with our hands just like our dad."  She sad softly as she looked down at her hands. These hands already had made so many different things like a ring and many swords. Plus a really cool dagger! "Di di distracted? Distracted by what? " She said this with so much confusion as she didn't know what the older camper meant. Was she talking about having a lot of fun at the camp and not making more swords? Who knows?

Kenna could tell the older camper was being so kind to her that she just wanted to give her a gift. Something to always keep with her and protect her when she left camp. But her face was excited as she saw Samantha check it out. "You like it then?" She said as Samantha told her that she needed to do stance training with it. Nodding she picked up her own sword again. This one was a bit smaller than most since she was a tiny girl. "SURE" she said coming back. Getting ready began to do what she was doing before. "Okay like this" she said as she did the Stab Stab Stab Jab and Cross. Turning to look at her she smiled "You got it?" 

• Like 1

Samantha was pleased to see her words had gotten through to the young camper, she loved building up her fellow camper’s self-esteem. The look that flashed over Kenna's face indicated she was realizing the worth of her talents. Samantha’s grin vanished momentarily when Kenna asked what she meant by ‘distracted’, she’d forgotten just how young this Hephaestus girl was! Putting on a grin again, “Ohhhh never you mind about that sweety! Stick with me and you’ll never even have to worry about it. Now, about that training?” she continued changing the subject before anything could get uncomfortable, twirling the dagger through her fingers.

Getting into position next to Kenna she observed her going through the motions. Being a daughter of Athena this was nothing new to her but she still humored the young girl in setting the pace. Kenna's enthusiasm was efficacious and Samantha was having a lot more fun in this morning’s training that she’d anticipated. “Oh I think I got it” she winked, “Ahhhhhh!” she cried as she lunged forward mimicking Kenna's example perfectly. “Hope you can keep up!” she teased playfully.

• Like 1

Kenna knew about some things but when older campers talked about things from time to time. Kenna would always have the most confused faces as she just didn't get what they were talking about. But Samantha told her not to worry about it. Shrugging her shoulders she smiled "Okie dokie" she giggled as she then went back over to where she was standing with her sword. Kenna felt so cool when she practiced as her friends back home would have never believed that she KENNA was a demi-god. Well they couldn't know but she wished she could tell them. Showing Samantha the stance she did the moves of Stab Stab Stab Jab Cross. 

Turning around when Samantha said she had it. Kenna hoped she did as it was a good thing to practice just to get used to holding and moving with swords in general. "YOU ARE DOING IT" she exclaimed as she saw her new friend doing so well. This must be an Athena thing as they picked up things so incredibly well!!! Then getting beside Samantha she would do this over and over again at the same time as if they were in some move montage thing. "How does it feel in your hands?" she asked as she thought Samantha looked like a natural with the dagger. 

• Like 1

Samantha couldn’t help but gently laugh along with Kenna's giggles. Of course she wouldn’t know anything about the kind of distractions boys could bring. The young Hephaestus girl was just the kind of pure innocent soul that Samantha would do anything to project, in fact, she reminded her of a few of her own younger Athena siblings. Speaking of Athena, her mother made exercises like this feel like second nature as it took her barely any time at all in order to mimic Kenna's moves to perfection.

I AM DOING IT!” she loudly proclaimed along with Kenna, playfully matching the younger girl’s enthusiasm. “But only because I have such an excellent teacher,” she winked. Training with Kenna was turning out to be a lot more fun and energetic than her normal rigid and super serious training routines. “How does it feel? Like it was made by an expert craftswoman” she complemented as she twirled the dagger around her hand.

You should be really proud of yourself! I wouldn’t know the first thing about making a weapon as fine as this. I’ll make sure it gets good use protecting the campSamantha promised. “Here” she started, getting behind Kenna, “Lift your arm just a tad bit higher. Perfect! Just like that, that’ll make sure your arm doesn’t tire as quick during the motion. Now try that again and see if you don’t notice a difference.

• Like 1

Kenna knew that Samantha was much older and wiser than herself. I mean Kenna had only been at camp a little bit which meant she had very little training compared to her. But showing her the movements anyways she could tell that Samantha was enjoying it as from the cheers of her being able to do it. "Yay that is so exciting" she called back to her as she turned to look. That was when she caught the wink that Samantha sent her way "Ohhhhhh not sure how much of that was me...you were the one that did it" the girl was shy so this made her feel proud inside. But then she got another compliment about the dagger. Kenna was feeling all sorts of things which just came off as a blush again. "Well I have been working on that the longest with my brother Stefan, he is much better than I am but I am learning." 

Kenna was shocked when Sam moved behind her, moving her arms a little bit to try it that way. Saying that it would tire her less. Nodding she then began to do her movements again. Feeling the power of the blade moving in her hands as if little effort was being using but it was much more effective. "Woah that is so cool" she said as she kept doing her movements over and over. Then turning to Samantha she tilted her head "So you want to spar, I have some wooden swords as well?" 

• Like 1

The two girls continued their training session, going through the motions of Samantha’s favorite sword fighting sequences. Samantha continued to take the opportunity to offer Kenna some tips on her stance and movements, helping her to improve and perfect her technique. Kenna was a natural with the dagger and Samantha was impressed by how quickly she picked up on the movements; especially given her age. The young Hephaestus girl was clearly talented (both in training and her craftsmanship), Samantha was excited to see what else she could do.

This was why she loved being at camp, to help young demigods like Kenna find their way in the world. “I’m sure Stefan is very talented but don’t forget to give yourself credit too” she smiled at the younger camper. It was clear that Kenna had a natural talent, and Samantha was happy to see her starting to realize her own worth. “Ahhh, feeling confident are we? Sure, go grab the wooden swords and let’s have at it!” She surmised that with just a few lessons Kenna would progress quickly, and couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction in knowing that she had helped her along the way.

• Like 1

Kenna couldn't help but feel like the youngest camper in her cabin. Not saying that age mattered but she had just gotten to camp, meaning she was just learning all this stuff for the first time. She knew she had a lot to learn, especially when it came to making weapons and armor. She had always been fascinated by the craftmanship of her siblings, but never felt like she could measure up to them. As she practiced with Samantha, she couldn't help but feel like she was still lagging behind.  She wanted to make her siblings proud and show them that she was just as skilled as they were. But Kenna also knew that she needed to be patient with herself. She was still young and had plenty of time to hone her skills. She reminded herself that everyone had to start somewhere and that even the most talented demigods had to put in the time and effort to improve. With that thought in mind, she continued to practice, determined to become the best she could be.

Kenna ran over to where the wooden swords were stored, eager to spar with Samantha. She grabbed two swords and tossed one to Samantha. Taking a deep breath, she stood at attention, ready to begin. "Don't go easy on me okay?" She called to her with big eyes. "If I am to learn what its like to fight a monster then you got to prepare me." Kenna knew that monsters were not so easy to be killed. 

• Like 1

Samantha caught the wooden sword with ease and gave Kenna an encouraging smile. "Alright, Kenna, I won't go easy on you. But remember, we're still practicing, so safety first." Samantha's heart swelled with pride, seeing the determination in the young girl's eyes. This was exactly the kind of spirit and resilience that made a demigod great. The two began sparring, with Samantha pushing Kenna to her limits. She attacked with precision and speed, forcing Kenna to think fast and react quickly. Samantha wanted Kenna to experience the true nature of combat, understanding that real battles would not be lenient. 

As Samantha and Kenna continued to spar, Samantha's movements became more fluid and powerful. She expertly sidestepped Kenna's lunges and countered with swift, well-placed blows. Samantha's strikes came in rapid succession, giving Kenna little opportunity to recover or mount her own offense. Samantha's wooden sword connected with Kenna's arms and legs, sending stinging sensations through the younger girl's limbs. At first, Samantha admired Kenna's tenacity and refusal to give up. However, as she continued to dominate the match, Samantha's instincts took over, and she became increasingly aggressive. Her attacks became a flurry of slashes and thrusts, each one more forceful than the last. In a moment of heightened fervor, Samantha saw an opening and delivered a powerful strike, targeting Kenna's midsection. The blow connected with enough force to lift the young Hephaestus girl off her feet, sending her crashing onto her back on the ground. The sound of Kenna's breath being knocked out of her body echoed through the training area.

Samantha froze, suddenly aware of the situation she had created. The exhilaration of combat had clouded her judgment, causing her to forget that she was sparring with a child. Looking down at Kenna, who lay on the ground gasping for air, Samantha's heart clenched with guilt and worry. "Kenna, I'm so sorry," she stammered, dropping her wooden sword and rushing to Kenna's side. "I got carried away, I didn't mean to push you that hard. Are you ok?"

• Like 1

Kenna stood opposite Samantha, her wooden sword clutched tightly in her hands. She watched as Samantha assumed a ready stance, her eyes focused and determined.  Samantha lunged forward, her wooden sword slicing through the air with precision. Kenna's reflexes kicked in, and she managed to raise her sword just in time, deflecting Samantha's first strike. The impact reverberated through her arms, but she held her ground, refusing to let go of her determination. She had seen Samantha's moves before, and she tried her best to anticipate the next attack.

Samantha pressed on, her attacks coming in a relentless barrage. Kenna focused all her energy on blocking, dodging, and countering whenever she found an opening. But it soon became overwhelming for her as every blow was then striking her one after another. Kenna knew she told Samantha not to hold back but this was to the max she thought. That is when she flew back as Samantha did her last big blow on Kenna. The young camper had not a chance in this world against this older Athena camper. The pain was all over her body from the many hits that Samantha landed on her. If this had been a real battle...she would be dead! 

Kenna lay on the ground, struggling to catch her breath. The impact had knocked the wind out of her, and pain throbbed through her body. She looked up at Samantha, tears welling up in her eyes. Despite the pain, she managed a weak smile. "I'm... I'm okay," she gasped, her voice shaky. "It was... my fault too. I wanted to experience... what it's really like." Kenna took a deep breath, willing herself to push past the pain. "Thank you... for pushing me. I want to be strong, like you." Maybe they should go get an apollo camper to heal her???? Was she dying??? Or even really injured?  

• Like 1

Samantha's heart leapt with painfully concern at the sight of Kenna's pained yet determined expression. She had seen that look before in herself long ago after a particularly brutal training session. She had run back to her cabin, tears stinging her face as she looked in the mirror cleaning herself up. She had probably been around the same age Kenna was now. It was a look of fierce determination and that level of determination had driven Samantha to become one of the best warriors in the Athena cabin. But seeing it on Kenna made her stomach twist with regret. She had allowed her competitiveness to take over, pushing Kenna far beyond what was reasonable for a young inexperienced demigod. Samantha fought back the waves of regret that threatened to hit her.

"Kenna," Samantha started, her voice a mix of remorse and gentle concern for Kenna. She reached out tentatively putting a hand on Kenna's shoulder. "You are strong, maybe even stronger than I was at your age. But this...this was too much. I should have controlled myself better. Can you ever forgive me??" The thrill of the fight and the rush of adrenaline had made Samantha loose control. She was a seasoned camper and she should have known better, this was not the kind of example a daughter of Athena should be setting. "I think we should find an Apollo camper," she suggested. "They'll be able to make sure you're okay. Can you walk, or do you need me to carry you?" She offered her hand to Kenna, ready to support her in any way she needed.

• Like 1

Kenna's eyes flickered with a mixture of pain and surprise as Samantha's hand gently rested on her shoulder. She listened to Samantha's remorseful words, feeling a wave of understanding wash over her. The intensity in Samantha's gaze mirrored the regret that churned within Kenna's own heart. I mean she did ask her to not hold back and she did just that. How could she ever be mad at her or even upset? Touched by Samantha's genuine concern, Kenna mustered a small, weary smile. "Samantha, it's not entirely your fault," she replied softly, her voice carrying a hint of vulnerability. "I wanted to prove myself, and I pushed myself too hard. But I appreciate your honesty and the fact that you care."

She gingerly shifted her weight, testing her ability to stand. One....two....three times she tried.  While the pain gnawed at her, she managed to find her footing, albeit unsteadily. "I think I can manage," Kenna replied, accepting Samantha's offered hand for support. As they began to move, she continued, her voice a whisper filled with determination. "I mean....we can find an apollo camper and I will be okay....right?" With only being at camp less than a year she was still learning things from what they could and could not heal from. Kenna stopped to look at Samantha "Where do we even go? The big house?" she asked wondering if this was where the apollo camper would be to help her. Or would they just cut to the chase and go to the apollo cabin where all of the campers might be! 

• Like 1

Samantha smiled as she held onto Kenna making sure she had a firm grip on the injured Hephaestus girl. "And I've learned a lot from you Kenna! You've reminded me of why I love being here at camp, helping demigods like you." Though she paused as she said this, looking at all the bumps and bruises forming on poor Kenna. Samantha still felt terrible for what had happened. But also pride for the younger camper who worked so hard to better herself, both in the forge and in the arena. "Hmmm good question, perhaps we should cut straight to the chase and head for the Apollo cabin. I'm sure there will be someone there who can help us and worst case, if not, we can have you rest there and I'll track someone down!" Samantha was determined now to make this right and insure that Kenna got the help she needed.

Finally, the Apollo cabin came into view, the emblem of Apollo shining brightly on the cabin. Samantha felt a surge of relief, Kenna was by no means a heavy girl, but she was still wearing all the training padding and equipment and supporting the full weight of anyone could always be tiring. 'Who's bright idea was it to have the Apollo cabin so far from the combat arena??' she thought to herself as they made their way up the steps. "We're here Kenna," she said helping the younger girl toward the entrance and knocking on the door. "Hello??? We have an injured camper that needs assistance!" she paused listening for a moments before finally hearing footsteps coming towards the door.

• Like 1

Samantha's comforting words resonated with Kenna, offering a glimmer of solace amidst the pain. She clung onto Samantha's support, grateful for her presence and determination to find help. As they approached the Apollo cabin, Kenna's body throbbed with each step, the weight of her injuries becoming more apparent. She admired Samantha's strength, knowing that carrying her injured form was no easy task. With a surge of relief, the Apollo cabin loomed before them, its radiant emblem of Apollo serving as a beacon of hope. Kenna's heart fluttered with anticipation, yearning for the healing touch of the cabin's residents. Samantha guided her towards the entrance, their steps slow and careful. Kenna leaned on Samantha, finding reassurance in their unspoken connection.

"We're here, Kenna," Samantha whispered, her voice filled with determination as she knocked on the door. Kenna winced, her injuries protesting with every movement. She hoped desperately that someone would answer, that the healing hands she sought would be waiting on the other side. The seconds stretched, anxiety growing within Kenna's chest. Finally, the sound of footsteps echoed from inside the cabin, and a surge of hope washed over Kenna. She straightened her posture as much as she could, preparing to face whoever appeared at the door. "Hi" she choked out at first "Can someone in the cabin heal me, I got hurt" she winced as took in who it was.  As the door creaked open, Kenna's eyes met the gaze of a tall figure with golden hair and warm eyes. It was Aaron, a son of Apollo renowned for his healing abilities. Relief flooded through Kenna, and she mustered a weak smile as Aaron's concerned gaze shifted from Samantha to her. She silently prayed for a swift resolution to her pain."What happened?" Aaron's voice was filled with compassion as he focused his attention on Kenna, his healer instincts taking over 

Samantha looked at Aaron with relief at the sight of a familiar and capable face. "It was my fault," she admitted glumly. "We were training and I kinda went wayyy too hard. She needs your help." She felt a little guilty as she remembered the intensity of their sparring match. She should've known better, should've controlled her impulses. She watched as Aaron glanced at Kenna's injuries. Samantha's guilt flared as she could see Kenna wince in pain, her hand tightened around Kenna's for reassurance. She needed to make this right, not just for Kenna, but for herself as well. Aaron started to work his healing magic so Samantha took a step back, giving them the space they needed. It was always fascinating to observe Apollo campers at work, she noticed it already seemed to be having a good effect on Kenna as the young girl quickly began to look less and less pained.

"Kenna," she said, "I am really sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise. Can you please forgive me?" She admired Kenna's spirit and bravery and despite the unfortunate set of circumstances that led them here Samantha found herself feeling a newfound respect for the young demigod. Even though Kenna offered no challenge in a duel it still seems this sparing match had ended up teaching Samantha something after all. A reminder to never underestimate her opponents....and to always be mindful of her own strength and the effect it could have on others.

• Like 1

Kenna felt a surge of gratitude as Aaron's healing touch spread over her, the warmth seeping into her body, soothing the ache in her muscles. She let out a relieved sigh, the pain gradually disappeared. Her gaze shifted from Aaron to Samantha, who stood nearby, remorse etched across her face. Kenna's heart was full of empathy as she knew this wasn't done on purpose. From what she knew about Samantha that was not in her character at all!!! With a gentle smile, Kenna nodded, her voice filled with understanding. "I forgive you, Samantha," she replied, her words carrying a tinge of empathy. "We all make mistakes, and it takes courage to admit them. Just promise me that you will think about this when we train together again." A soft giggle came out of her mouth as she looked up at her.  With Aaron's healing nearly complete, Kenna took a step forward, her hand reaching out to Samantha. "It is okay I promise" she reassured her. "Come on lets go get some food" she smiled at her friend as they left together.

THE END

Important Information

Terms of Use