bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

One Sad Summer (Open)

Not that it was anyone's business, but Arsen had no idea why he kept coming here every year. It was just one sad summer after another. He knew that this was the safest place for him in the world, but truth be told there was no where else in the world where he felt more lonely. This place was familiar and he always got to know his siblings but something about it felt foreign to him. Like he was living someone else's life and he never quite got used to it. Maybe it had to do with the fact that he had no one on his corner. That his life was his own and there was no one to really take care of him. He had had to grow up when his father died and being an orphan, however much freedom it allowed him, had left him just a little bit more messed up than usual.

Arsen sighed. He did know he kept coming to camp to improve his abilities and this was the best place to do so but still, there was so much he could do when it was bright as day around him and his mother restricted his skills to the night. What else could he expect from being the son of the goddess of night? He took a deep breath. It was surprisingly hard to improve his spell casting and what not, though his ability to read Greek and Latin came naturally. It would all be easier if he could just ask her. He still resented his mother but at least she could find herself to be helpful, no? That was certainly the least she could do.

• Like 1

MK was excited to be back at camp as she felt like she was around others just like her. Ones that would compete with her and others that she would just ignore. As she headed out of her cabin she stretched on the front porch as she took in the camp around her. It was starting to pick up with more and more campers. Looking behind her a noise had come from inside the cabin as two of her half siblings were beginning to fight. Shaking her head she rolled her eyes as she walked out into the grounds.  She was about to walk by arsen but he had signed. Stopping she looked over at him as she was standing behind him. She was about to walk on but he sighed again. She hadn't gotten to know him too well but something in her compelled her to ask the child of the night how he was. Tapping him on the shoulder she called out "Arsen you okay?" 

Arsen was the type of person that everyone knew about but no one could truly say they knew him. He was always there, being sociable and helping out with the new campers and training and perfecting his abilities, not to mention making sure he was always present at the best parties and if not hosting some of his own. He was a perfect mystery and he liked to keep that way, keeping people at a distance. The only exception was his twin sister because even his half-siblings couldn't pin point what kind of person he was, but they could all agree that like the rest of them, Arsen was susceptible to the darkness. 

So he wasn't one to wear his emotions on his sleeve and he was sure he was alone by the lake. Otherwise, he wouldn't have looked so miserable. Someone who was usually so aware of his surroundings, failed to hear the footsteps that approached him and as he heard her voice, he jumped up in surprise. His look of surprise was quickly changed into a smile. The same smile that he always put on whenever he wanted to cover up whatever he was doing. "Oh yeah, just enjoying the lake," he said, getting up quickly. "What's up? What are you up to today?"

• Like 1

MK wasn't the most sensitive girl in the world so for her to ask what was going on was not really something she did. But something in her reached out and asked him what was wrong. I mean nothing could come of it or maybe he would say he was fine. Nonetheless she waited for an answer. She just hoped he wouldn't cry on her. Honestly she wouldn't know what to do! "Come on I am not that dumb." she crossed her arms and gave him a look after he finished trying to change the subject. "The lake is the same no matter what but something is up with you and it isn't your normal thing either" she then held out her hand and then beconked him "Spill it!" 

Arsen wasn't about to admit what was on his mind. He didn't even do that with his siblings and those guys were related to him. As closed to a family as it got in this messed up situation. So he did what he knew how to do best. He deferred her question and shrugged his shoulders. He smiled at her in the way he knew how to make the ladies around him swoon, though he wasn't even sure it would work. He knew his smile made him approachable and in some way, it softened him to the point people could underestimate him. He stood up and brushed some of the dirt away from his clothes. "I know you're not dumb," he said shrugging his shoulders as he walked away from the edge of the lake. "Everything is fine. I am just trying to figure out this power thing that isn't agreeing with me but what are you doing here? This isn't a highly transmitted part of the lake."

• Like 1

MK watches as Arsen shrugged his shoulders, he was really off today but she knew the people who understood the most were here at the camp. The humans who didn't see the monsters or were not abandoned by their parents just didn't get the demons they faced.  "Well that is good" she said feeling good that he didn't take her to be some air headed jockey! With Arsen starting to talk she listened as he talked about his power "What kind of thing?" she said to the first part before thinking of her own answer to the question. Scratching her head she said "Well I like to get away from everyone, I mean it is nice being at camp but it also another reminder of the life we live" she said honestly. Looking out at the peaceful waters she smiled. "It looks so nice and calm which is not what camp will be in a few hours"

@ Arsen Harrington

Arsen had known that coming to the camp would be a difficult experience for him but he never thought it would be painful. In fact, he had no idea it would bring so many emotions that he had convinced himself he had buried a long time ago. He was facing some of the weirdest feelings he didn't know he could feel. He had grown up without his mother. That was a fact. He had never felt like he was missing out on anything. Despite his father being a busy man, he had found a way to make sure he took on the role of mother and father. He had never felt like he was missing out on anything but even Arsen had to admit that a part of that was due to the fact that his father made up for it by allowing his children to do and have whatever they wanted.

"Controlling it. Figuring out how to use it. When to use. You know? My sister is better at this sort of thing. She is always so goddamn compose. It is like nothing faces her. So naturally the way she is teaching me is not working." He shrugged. Arsen had always known his sister was different in the way she processed emotions. She always focused on the facts. Her sentiments were set to the side or they didn't exist. She was cut out to be a surgeon or a CEO. She knew how to tackle every single problem and there hadn't been anything she hadn't accomplished. It was very annoying to watch. "Yeah. Did you get any new siblings in the claiming ceremony? I haven't really taken noticed. It is always so hard to watch."

• Like 1

Being a Demigod felt more like a burden to a lot of them. You have a parents who abandons you and then you are hunted your whole life by monsters. There was always things your godly parent hides from you making it even more infuriating. All in all, being a demigod mostly sucked but you got abilities that were cool. Trying to listen as Arsen talked about his abilities. "That sounds frustrating but that doesn't mean you are anything less than her. You just learn a different way! I mean mortals deal with that all the time so I bet you can figure it out with the right teacher." McKayla said this with a smile as she meant it. Going through mortal school being dyslexic made learning hard plus all she wanted to do was to be outside playing sports. She totally got that feeling.

This side of camp had been a good place to get away when siblings started to get competitive and fight. "No we did not, thankfully. I think there is enough of the Nike campers right now as it is feeling a bit stuffy in there. How about you? I know we have a lot of older Hecate campers but haven't seen a younger one in a while." This was strange to her as there was always a lot of new campers. The God's did not have a problem having the affairs with the mortals as they always do. Looking out she took in some deep breathes. McKayla was becoming an older camper and that meant one thing! She would need to take on more responsibility soon.

Arsen had always felt second best next to his sister. He couldn't quite figure out when the sentiment had started or what had brought it on but it lingered there and it had bothered him for years. He saw it in the way his father had treated him. His father wasn't a bad man. In fact, he was a good man that had taken on the impossible role of being mother and father at the same time. That was commendable in itself. But the way he approached his children was different. 

Arsen had been the first born son. It was only natural to think that he would take on the family business and be groomed to become CEO but that hadn't been the case. When it was clear that Arsen was not quite cut out for such rigorous lifestyle, his father had chosen Asher as his heir. Asher with her analytical mind and gift for numbers. Asher that had managed to double her inheritance by playing the stock market. She was everything their father had wanted in a child. It was hard not to feel slightly jealous.

And Arsen, bless him, had inherited his mother's negative traits and propensity for darkness. "I mean, it's different. I know I have half siblings who are master spellcasters and what not, but it's different when it is your full sibling. Next thing I know she is trying to master Umbrakinesis and I am here struggling with Mist Control." He rolled his eyes for a moment, leaving his sentiments at that before shaking his head. "I haven't seen any new kids. I think my mother stopped having replacement families years ago. Makes sense why everyone is older."

• Like 1

MK was not one that usually was one that stopped to talk feelings unless it was someone she was close too. With Arsen being so much older than her, she was not one that was close to him. She wasn't even sure if he was close to anyone at camp....was he even close with his sister? I mean aren't twin suppose to do everything together in a sweet sort of way? But from what she was gathering he was feeling much different than that. Asher was very different though, she would give him that. It seemed that Arsen was dealing with some deep stuff which if he didn't have any close friends to share it. Then it would consume him. "Have you talked to James about this?" know the two were close in age, maybe he would be able to understand a bit more than she.

It wasn't as if they had some sort of counselors to do half-blood therapy which honestly wasn't a half bad thing. They all had messed up issues due to parents screwing up and abandoning them. "You know you aren't Asher, even if you are the same chromosomes. You are ARSEN and that is okay. Why do you feel like it matters to you so much what you can do compared to her?"  That was the million dollar question. Was it the fact Arsen felt like he was less than for not being able to do as much or that his abilities as a half-blood determined his worth? 

Therapy should have been a big requirement for all campers. Most of them had the same sort of sentiments and issues. None of them really got a chance to know their parents and they were constantly subjected to hard and potentially life threatening scenarios. Truth was they didn't deserve half of the things that seemed to be following them around and how no one thought to ask if they were okay was a baffling to him. It was common sense to him that if they had a whole camp full of teenagers, have them talk to someone about what they were feeling. Even the most low ranked schools in the country had some sort of counselor.

Arsen was no stranger to the idea of therapy but he had never truly committed to it. He had gone many times but it never managed to stick. There was just something about the smell of rubbing alcohol and the white walls of despair that made Arsen want to shoot himself in the foot just to get out of going. It was a lot easier to talk about it with other people, even if they didn't want to hear him. "Not purposely," Arsen said, thinking that yes, James was probably the best person to talk to but then again, everyone did and the boy wasn't entirely sure James wanted everyone to view him as a guidance counselor.

He then shrugged. "Force of habit. It is easy for people to compare us. Teachers, counselors, peers, hell even my dad used to do it. I don't think they meant it maliciously. It just happened." Arsen shrugged again, rubbing the back of his neck. The more he thought about it, the more he figured he should talk to some of his half siblings. Maybe they would understand better. After all, they all shared those same traits. 

• Like 1

MK was not the most wise person to talk to about this but she was at least willing to listen. I mean Arsen was an older camper as it was so normally people would go to him for answer but it seems he had more questions than answers. Finding herself trying to come up with ideas, it was then when james came to mind. He was one that always seemed like the person most went too anyways. "Well maybe he would be a good person to talk to.....I mean he is around you age right?" She hoped this was helpful, well at least if anything it would steer him in the right direction. He was not the person she went to but he was a kind dude for sure. 

Being a Demi-God with so many half siblings was a bit disheartening at times as the comparison game was a bad one. I mean it was never fun when Dustin talked about her older sister Krystal which she hated. "I get that" she said looking at him with a soft look "But if you do it too , then you will never escape it" she said thinking from her own experience. I mean all the Nike cabin kids were good at being victorious. So going against them was much different than mortals. Then looking back at the lake she sighed "Not sure I helped much but it was good talking to you." She said hoping she did botch this entire conversation. Knowing she had to get back soon she sighed again before stretching. 

Arsen looked at McKayla for a moment. It was then that he truly took notice of her words and it was as though something clicked in his head. She was right naturally and the way she had expressed her words was just what he needed to hear. He couldn't prevent other people from comparing him to his sister. Hell, they would compare him to his half siblings in ability, strength, stamina, etc, but what he did have control over was not comparing himself to them. It was such a simple notion. He had no idea why he had never thought about that before. It was such an easy notion. "You're right," he said. "I don't know why that concept hadn't occurred to me before. I need to be the one to stop comparing himself." There was a slight glistening in his eye when he spoke those words and smiled when he looked at the younger girl. "You did help. More than I think you know. I'm sorry I brought down the mood with my own thoughts. It is that Hecate Cabin trait," he added with a shrug.

• Like 1

Somedays it feels as if you cannot escape from the opinions of those around you, as if you will never amount to anything higher. As if the shadow of others threatens to swallow you whole. MK had felt this way about her older half-sister Krystal. Many at the camp told her she looked so much like her or that she fought like her. It was as if she no longer was MK but jr. Krystal. The bitterness at times overwhelmed her but the worst of it was when she thought those same thoughts. Fighting back against it she, MK would always be doomed if she did not stop this. "You didn't bring me down Arsen......I just understand more than you know" she said to him her voice trailing off. They might be 5 years apart in age. But she was glad he didn't see her as a little girl with little opinions. "Hey Arsen" she said to him "if you ever need a practicing partner to do magic on, I don't mind helping you out. I won't judge you." Normally she had not been the biggest fans of the hecate cabin campers but she wanted to help arsen. A part of her was rooting for him in a way.

Arsen chuckled. It was a bit weird to him to open up to this girl. When he had first arrived to camp, he had been mesmerized by the older students and their air of mystery that surrounded them. It was easy to view them as these majestic creatures that were so removed from them in ability and talent. He had wanted to remain the same when he got older. Be one of the older kids the new kids looked at in awe. Opening up to a younger camper went against that but Arsen had also decided he had enough problems to care if one Nike kid knew about his issues. Or one of them at least.

"You are volunteering yourself to help someone who has no idea how to control or use his magic practice with you? I mean, I know I get Nike kids are easily victorious but this might be a bit harder than you expect." He chuckled but nodded at her. "I was reading more about the history of our powers. Apparently we don't just need to go the traditional way. We can make a spell out of anything. I'm hoping that is the area I excel at."

• Like 1

MK was not one to ever really care too much about too many other people but Arsen was different. I mean part of her wanted to see him do better and succeed. Was that weird? Maybe it was but the conversation with him. Made the guy seem a lot more relatable in her own eyes. The two of them had struggled with the same emotions but with different things. It wasn't like she could do magic but she did have a sister who was better at everything she did and was always in her shadow. It honestly was the most annoying thing ever if she was honest with herself.

"Maybe" she looking to the side as she felt a bit annoyed, her eyes going back to him "I mean if you don't want the help. That is fine, I just thought it would help you with someone else" she finished saying. Feeling her face get really warm as she was embarrassed as she wanted to help a hecate kid. This was so unlike her. 

Arsen smiled at the girl, lowering his gaze to meet hers. It was a weird thing for him to open up. Usually Hecate kids kept a lot of things to themselves, opting to just conceal their feelings about everything but Arsen wasn't always able to deal with this in this way. He did keep a lot of things in. He was secretive and he was evasive. There were things he had kept from his father and even his sister, with whom he shared basically everything. To simply open up the way he had meant he was reaching a breaking point. He could feel it. His seams coming to a crossroads. At this point, sharing these sentiments had been the best he could do to keep himself from going over the edge. "I would appreciate the help," he said softly. "I'm just not sure how to start. Do you have any suggestions?"

• Like 1

MK had always been the girl who always got knocked down as a little girl. The thought raced into her mind as she was always picked on as this weak little girl from the boys of the play ground. She would get back up with fire in her eyes and challenge them again until she got her victory. Over the years she has had to pick herself up time and time again as more challenges came her way. Seeing Arsen in front of her, there was that desire to help him over come this as she had done herself. The smile on her face was one of confidence and excitement of the challenge. "Welll maybe there is some text we can try and read about your magic and then." she took a pause as her smile widened. "WE will do it together. We can practice and figure this out. I am willing to understand your magic so you can practice it on me." Then holding her hand out her eyes "Deal?

Tristan began the day rather late since he stayed up last night practicing his magic. He was extra motivated simply because there are endless possibilities on what the spells the children of Hecate can do. They can be offensive, defensive, or even as mundane as moving objects around for convenience. Though what made it easier to learn is how similar Harry Potter magic is to this, except without the use of a wand but instead spoken in either Latin or Ancient Greek. Although a bit ambiguous, he felt he made a lot of progress when he puts his mind to it. To his surprise, there was a knock on Hecate's cabin door and out of curiosity, he decided to give her the time of day. It was one of the campers who came by to ask if he could expand the storage inside their bag. He nodded as he took the bag in his hands, taking a quick look inside. "Well, that certainly could be done. I've casted expansion charms myself in the past, I just need to look for the grimoire that had the spell's instructions." He thought about inviting the girl inside, but after seeing that there was still smoke billowing out from the doorway, he decided that they would be better off out in the porch instead. So, with a snap of his fingers, two comfortable looking porch chairs appeared beside them, accompanied by a round coffee table with a set of pitcher and glasses set on top, nothing inside but ice cubes. "Okay so, feel free to take a seat and just give me a second to grab the spell book." He proclaimed as he took one step inside before stopping himself. "Oh, and, just whisper what kind of drink or refreshment you want to the pitcher. It will fill itself up," he said with a wink as he ran inside the cabin.

Once he finished the campers request, it was time for him to practice his umbrakinesis. He knew very well that the magic granted by his mother is practically limited during the day so he thought he could train to make himself useful in that time. Even so, he was grateful that he was able to wield this dark power during the day. The young man was on his way to the arena to ask anyone available for him to spar until a familiar figure is talking to another. He squinted his eyes towards him from afar and a smile was brought forth when he recognized that figure. Tristan power walked towards the pair and they seemed to be more and more clear in his eyes. "Hey fellas! Arsen. McKayla." He greeted them. "What deal was made this time? I bet you convinced him to join in on one of your little competitive mischief." He could not help but grin at his own comment.

• Like 1

Arsen had to admit that she was surprised in the way that McKayla so eagerly agreed to help him and even encouraged him to do so. The trust she was placing on his ability to cast his magic on her and her to remain safe was extraordinary. It made his anxiety spike but he wasn't about to deal with that at the moment. He surely needed to practice a lot more before he used her a test subject. Even in the best of cases, generally benign spells could possess great consequences if cast incorrectly. It was a lot of pressure on someone that had mastered one spell his entire life and that was his ability to see in the dark. 

Before he could say anything else though, his thoughts were interrupted and he turned to face one of his half siblings. Arsen was a terrible half sibling and didn't generally go out of his way to form friendships with them. It wasn't intentional. He just never found himself the will to do so and he never did anything he didn't feel like doing. "She agreed to help me with my magic and even volunteered to let me practice on her..." He let the words hang as he looked at them both. He was nervous and it was evident in his voice, that was until he cleared his throat and gained his composure.

• Like 1

MK didn't know what she fully agreed too because she didn't understand the full extent of the Hecate Children magic but nonetheless she wanted to help Arsen. He seemed like he needed a friend and well she was willing to be that one. But the words were just said when someone came up to join them. The voice was one she knew as a younger camper. Turning she saw Tristan come into view. "Ohhhh hey Tristan and not this time" she said with a weird look on her face. It was weird enough she was trying to befriend one of the Hecate children which she normally stayed far away from. But with a second one coming into the group she was out numbered. 

Hearing Arsen explained what she made the deal for, her eyes going to him as he looked a bit nervous. "Heyyy it is going to be okay Arsen. Plus if something goes bad there is always someone that can help.....better here than out there." Finishing the statement she knew this was all too true. Because in the real world there was a lot more consequences than at camp where others were around to help. Then remembering there was also another person there she looked to Tristan "Ummm what are you doing out here Tristan?" 

He doesn't have the best sibling relationship with Arsen as much as he would like but he could not say the same for him and Asher either. Sure, they exchanged a few words here and there but nothing too significant to be remembered. All he knew is that he is the type to keep to himself and he respected that but seeing that such a deal has been made is nothing but an opportunity to spend time with them. Tristan can be found cultivating his magic most days but because there are virtually unlimited possibilities of what children of Hecate's magic can do, he only mastered spells that he thought could be useful to him in the future. He and McKayla also exchanged words but their previous encounters made him catch wind of her competitive nature, inherently found in the children of Nike.

"I am about to practice my umbrakinesis with some of the campers in the arena... but since Mr. Harrington here said you agreed to letting him practice his magic on you, I think a magic study session is in order." He paused with a gleeful smile as he exchanged glances between the two of them. "You guys don't mind if I join, right? Arsen, I'd love to help you out while you're still here. Since she is volunteering, we can start with light, miscellaneous spells so you can practice them yourself during the evenings. We have a library of grimoires, scrolls, and runes to work with back in the Hecate's cabin. It's been a while so I believe that space is free for us to use - someone was just using it earlier." He spoke, recalling the moment he saw the smoke.

"I understand if you guys prefer the privacy. Just say the word and I'll return to the arena." It was clear to him that the two of them had talked and struck a deal so he considered it intrusive to just barge in. 

• Like 1

Arsen took a deep breath and made sure his heart rate slowed down before he spoke. He wasn't sure what it was but despite being older than the two other campers in front of him, he always felt like he was the new kid at camp. Sure, he had spent a great deal of summers at camp but most of the time he was away, living his other life in New York, separating his two world for nothing more than self preservation. When the twins came, it was a game of how long they would stay and though camp counselors had always warned them about the dangers of being out in the world, Arsen had never really cared. He had a talent for attracting trouble without help.

"You know how to do that?" Arsen said, turning his attention towards his sibling. "I thought that was almost impossible to achieve." Or almost impossible. Honestly, he had never tried it himself so impossible was not even a fair assessment. "Anyway, you can stay. I mean, the camp is for everyone. I don't have a problem with it." He gave McKayla a glance and then nodded. Honestly, having Tristan around while he performed some of his magic might be beneficial so it wouldn't get too out of hand.

• Like 1

McKayla knew of little of the Hecate children as she just stayed far away from them all. They were a mystery with their abilities. Most seemed to keep to themselves which was very different than most of the other cabins. Well there were some people...Crystal....in her cabin she could do without but ehhhh it happens. Watching the two half-siblings she was trying to figure them out. Like if this was a happy exchange or one that was going to turn sour. Her eyes were going back and forth when she was watching Arsen. Was he doing okay???? 

Seeing the two of them come to an agreement she laughed a bit nervously "umm just don't turn me into anything ummm weird like a rat okay" she had an eyebrow raised to them both. Clapping her hands together she nodded after a bit of a silence. "Okay what shall we start with then????" Looking to Tristan for some kind of guidance "What do you think?" 

Happy to hear that Arsen agreed to a study session, he was happy to be getting much more interaction from the Harrington twins. He found them unapproachable because they have this energy he could not seem to match on his own but he was lucky to be related to them. If he weren't, he may not speak to them at all. Chuckling at McKayla's comment, he reassured her. "Don't worry. We won't do anything like that. We're going to try more... cosmetic spells like adding makeup or changing your hair. Each spell is reversible within time but they can also be reversible with a respective spell. Our mother knows how much some of us like to... experiment." Tristan shot a wary glance towards Arsen but soon formed a smile to the Nike girl.

"Hmm..." The boy began to ponder, his mind sifting through the books he had read. Cosmetics magic were not part of his study but he remembered skimming through some out of curiosity. With a metaphorical light bulb lighting up above his head, he widened his eyes as he snapped his fingers, causing a grimoire to materialize out of thin air in front of him. "There we go." The book fell into his hand and he opened it to pore over the pages. "Why don't we start with making her nose bigger? Just... try not to make it too big. The spell is... Pinocchio. You try Arsen. And focus on her nose so you can have the maximum effect."

Important Information

Terms of Use