bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Man those cookies, smell so goood!

James Selway

Asher was not oblivious to the ways people looked at her or what other people might think of her. She knew she wasn't the easiest person to get along with and at times she knew she could come across as overbearing and demanding, even perhaps a bit rude. She knew it was something she had to work on, especially if she wanted to be more approachable but she had never done of any of that to be mean. Her demeanor was guarded, she could admit to that, but the way she talked to people, it was never to make them feel less than. She just didn't know how else to be. Being direct, after all, was only so she could be taken seriously and perhaps she had grown to rely on that too much. 

"I don't like to think about it that way. I was very fortunate growing up and if I have had to grow up faster than most then that was just my part to play." She shrugged, feeling an ounce of guilt that displayed across her face. She never wanted to complain as her father had given them more than anyone could have ever asked for, but she also couldn't deny that it had made her who she was and perhaps now it was starting to catch up with her. "I don't know how to let my guard down. I guess that is what I need to work on. How do you do it?"

• Like 1

James listened attentively to Asher's words, understanding the weight behind her admission. He could sense her genuine desire to change and grow, and he wanted to offer her support and guidance. "Letting your guard down can be difficult, Asher," he replied, empathizing with her struggle. "It takes time and practice. For me, it helps to surround myself with people I trust and feel comfortable with. Being in a safe and supportive environment allows me to open up more easily." When he hit rock bottom a few years ago it took a good solid friend or so to show him he was not alone in this battle that he had taken on by himself. That grew into a relationship he trusted to help he then slowly be able to ask questions to others with the things he held some dear to him. He paused for a moment, searching for the right words to continue. "Another thing that helps is finding activities or hobbies that bring you joy," James suggested. "Engaging in something you're passionate about can naturally help you let go of your guard. It's like finding a moment where you can just be yourself without any expectations or judgments. For me it is my music...when I play it is as if the world falls away and those who I play for can see me....it doesn't matter that I am not an apollo child or that I am as good as any of them"

James smiled warmly, hoping his words would encourage Asher. "Ultimately, it's about being patient with yourself and giving yourself permission to be vulnerable. It's not an overnight change, but little by little, you'll discover that opening up can lead to deeper connections and a sense of freedom. And remember, I'm here to support you every step of the way." If only Asher knew these words of wisdom came from years of heart ache and pain.....from trust issues and anger....the brokenness that he once went through got him to be the person most went to.

Asher was very by the book. She had a hard time figuring out how to look at things in shades if gray and she had noticed that it often made people think of her as unpleasant to be around. Nothing she said was deliberate. She had simply learned to be more direct so people would not take advantage of her of think she was easily to manipulate. Besides, she had learned to be that way to keep her family intact. Someone had to be the strong one for her father and her brother was certainly a mess in his own way. That had left her with a very limited grasp on her feelings and what she chose to do in that regard. Either way, she was learning and perhaps it was better late than never to get to it. "You just made me think there are so many aspects of myself that I have no idea of. Like, who am I when I am not the person I was made to be? I don't know what I truly enjoy but I suppose it is time to find out. I know I should be better with my half-siblings but at times it is hard. Like we are all replacements for an idea that our mom had and she was never fully satisfied with." She shrugged. "You are such a great friend. I don't know what I would do without you. I mean, you are really one of the few people that is honest with me. I don't know how to be vulnerable. I suppose it is because I don't like it because I don't know how to be okay when I get hurt? Does that ever happen to you?" 

• Like 1

When it came to being himself, James had always been pretty good at it as maybe he found that he could relate to those around him when he did. James listened intently, his heart going out to Asher as she expressed her inner turmoil. He could sense the weight of her responsibilities and the pressure she felt to hold everything together. He reached out and gently placed a hand on her shoulder, offering her comfort and support. "Asher, it's completely understandable that you've taken on this role for your family. But it's also important to remember that you deserve happiness and fulfillment in your own life," he said softly. Asher was one of the hardest working people he knew at the camp. It wasn't like she had a choice though. Honestly she was thrust into that light when she was very young. He took a moment to gather his thoughts before continuing, wanting to offer her the best advice he could. "Finding out who you truly are can be a journey, Asher. It's okay not to have all the answers right away. Take your time to explore different things, try new experiences, and see what resonates with you. Allow yourself the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them. It's through these discoveries that you'll begin to unravel the layers and find your authentic self."

James looked deeply into Asher's eyes, his own filled with sincerity. "And as for vulnerability, it's true that it can be scary. We all fear getting hurt. But opening up and being vulnerable is also the gateway to genuine connections and meaningful relationships. It's about finding people who truly care about you and will be there for you, no matter what. I've been hurt before, Asher, but I've also experienced the incredible joy that comes from connecting with others on a deeper level. It's a risk worth taking because the rewards are immeasurable." He learned this the hard way as he had gone down a dark past after Amber broke his heart. The anger and pain that made him do the things he did pushed him in a direction he never wanted to be in again. It was when he was vulnerable that he got the help he needed to move on. To get better and become the better version of himself!  He gave her a reassuring smile. "You're not alone in this, Asher. We're all learning and growing together. And as your friend, I'll be here to support you every step of the way. We'll figure it out together."

Asher looked at James' hand on her shoulder and realized that it had been a very long time since anyone had offered her any comfort. She hadn't ever thought she needed it, having taken on responsibilities and tasks simply because she had to but now that it was being offered it, it was as though she felt this incredible mantle across her that made her feel like she could exhale. Asher knew deep down that after her father had died, she went on to hold her breath through life. Feeling as little as possible. Thinking about the truly important things and most of all making sure that everything was as it was supposed to be. She didn't know she needed to exhale.

She smiled and without realizing what she was doing, Asher grabbed James' hand, moved it away from her shoulder and pulled him so she could wrap her arms around him. He was there for her, not just in words and empty promises but he truly was. Asher had never taken the time to get to know the other campers, mostly because it was a painful reminder of the consequences of years of godly abuse, but James had managed to break every boundary and every frown and gotten to her root.

When she finally let go of the hug, having squeezed him ever so gently, Asher smiled at him and said something she had never told anyone but her family, "I love you," she said. "Because you're honest and you're friendly and when I am with you, learning how to cook or bake, you manage to offer me exactly what I need. You are one of my best friends and I know I don't tell the people I love that I love them but I am going to start doing so now. I think it is important they know."

• Like 1

James felt a surge of warmth and gratitude as Asher embraced him. He returned the hug, holding her gently but firmly, allowing her to find solace in their connection. Her words hit him deeply, and he couldn't help but feel a lump forming in his throat. He had always cared for Asher, but hearing her say those three words touched a place in his heart he didn't know existed. "Thank you, Asher," James whispered, his voice filled with genuine appreciation. "Your friendship means the world to me, and I'm honored to be one of your best friends."

In that moment, James realized the impact he had on Asher's life, and he vowed to continue being there for her. He recognized the importance of expressing love and appreciation to the people who mattered most. "Asher, I love you too," he confessed softly, his voice filled with sincerity James smiled warmly at Asher, a renewed sense of purpose and connection coursing through him. As they stood there, he knew their friendship would only grow stronger, rooted in honesty, understanding, and a shared desire to support one another. James was grateful for this moment, knowing that together they would navigate the challenges ahead, helping each other discover their true selves and find the happiness they both deserved. That was when he realized what time it was. "Oh crap it is dinner time, want to go grab some food?" His smile was one of happiness as the two would plan their trip later but for now food was in order.

[[go ahead and finish it]]

Asher thought about the last time she had told someone in her life that she loved them. She was certain it had been to her father when he had passed. Even with Arsen, the two of you had looked at each other and he had nodded, seemingly knowing what she was about to say. That had been it. There had never been anyone with whom she exchanged those words. So hearing James say that back, well, it had certainly produced a remarkable feeling. She could be soft and gentle when she wanted to. She smiled then and took a deep breath, letting her body relax. "Yes, as long as that involves some stories about the trouble you seem to find yourself in when you are with my brother." She added, then turned towards the door to follow him towards the dinning hall.

[Exit]

Important Information

Terms of Use