bbh_blocked_dnftl
Camp Half-Blood RP

Emberlynn Knight

"Lightning" Crashes

The child of Iris was... a bit lost. She'd been making her way through the forest, humming a pleasant tune as she searched for signs of life. She wasn't worried about making noise this time. After all, she was well within her own territory, and not close enough to a friend to lure in any dangers. Of course, he hadn't accounted for the dangers that might approach her on her own. The councilors were always warning that this forest was a dangerous place, but that hadn't really clicked for Emberlynn. It was just so... pretty. Surely an area so beautiful was somewhere she was meant to be. Though now that she thought of it, the girl was neither sure where she was meant to be, nor where exactly she was. She scanned the trees around her, looking for any familiar signs. But... they were trees. And while beautiful, they did tend to have a rather uniform look.

Emberlynn paused to close her eyes, breathing in the heavy forest air. She tried to sense if there was anyone or anything around her to latch on to. No luck. While her time at Camp Half-Blood so far had instilled a few useful skills, awareness of her surrounding was not one of them. Little Ember, though she did try, was oblivious as ever. Though it was fortunate that she had taken a moment to stop, else she may not have heard the rustling sound coming from a nearby group of bushes. Her head swiveled in that direction. Was it an animal, perhaps a rabbit of squirrel? Or if she was lucky, maybe it would be another camper?

A curved sword hung awkwardly at her side, though as she made her way to investigate she did not so much as reach for it. It was a Greek weapon, designed for horseback combat as it had been explained to her. Though she'd been told it was less effective in ground combat, it still had seemed to call to her. So too did the idea of riding into battle on horseback. She wondered if the camp offered horse-riding lessons... Even as she walked straight into potential danger, her mind was always wandering. She spoke with a soft and welcoming voice. "Hello there, whoever you may be! I seem to have gotten myself a bit lost." If it was a person, maybe they could direct her back toward camp. If it was an animal, at least she'd have a moment to enjoy playing with the local wildlife. "Perhaps you could help me out m-"

What she saw, however, instantly snapped her from her obliviousness. A pair of yellow eyes glinted from behind the foliage. Then another... and another... A group of creatures? No - a single, massive creature. One with twelve eyes, long, spindly legs, and a spiked stinger slowly raising to strike at the child. "m - Mr. Scorpion..." she awkwardly finished the sentence. Any thought of befriending such a hideous thing was gone from her mind, as it seemed all too eager to kill her. Had she been more well-trained she may have gone for her weapon. As it was though, she was brand new to this whole monster fighting thing. As she stepped back, only one course of action occurred to her. Run.

@ McKayla Johnson

• Like 1

MK was doing her rounds in the woods like she always liked to do in the summer. It was kind of nice to find yourself out here all alone in your thoughts, but there was also a sense of urgency as there was already one monster that had gotten past the boundary line earlier. MK had to fight it but got injured in the process. It was sort of embarrassing that she was carried by Asher who was one of her least favorite people in camp. Sure it was kind of her to carry McKayla so that her ankle did not get hurt more than it already was, but it was still embarrassing. This time she was ready with her knifes strapped to her side plus a sword one of the Ares kids gave her. 

MK was just watching the area around her for any sight of movement or sound of anyone or anything. Until they figured out how these monsters were getting in then they would have to defend the camp so that the demi-gods here could rest easy. MK's steady movements were one that was quite still when she heard someone to her left. Heading turning to that direction she waited to see if the person was just out enjoying a walk in the words or was in danger. Walking that way she did not want to leave it to chance. 

Ember turned tail and began to run. She charged through the forest as quickly as her little legs could carry her. Not quick enough. Not fair. She thought. That thing has like a billion legs and I've only got two. She jumped and rolled, narrowly missed by a stinger strike. Finally she grabbed for her weapon. Lot of good that was gonna do... She'd only been here like a week before this damn game. That was barely enough time to learn to hold a sword, much less use it effectively in combat. Iris... mom, I guess? If you're out there I could use a little help! "Someone... anyone..." the girl panted under her breath as she charged deeper into the forest. "Somebody help me..."

As luck would have it, it seemed Emberlynn was not the only human in this neck of the woods. The little rainbow-haired demigod erupted in a spiral of leaves and color from some foliage, spotting a girl to her right as she kept running. The massive Scorpion soon burst from those same bushes, making it very clear what exactly the thirteen-year-old was running from. Finding herself cornered, Ember held her blade clumsily before her. The monster, now standing between her and the new arrival. It had scarcely registered the other girl intent on devouring its colorful prey. "Ah, you there!" She called to the other camper. The other kid looked older, more experienced, and bonus - heavily armed. "You look like you're good in a fight! Mind lending me a hand?" It might have sounded like a clever movie line - were it not said in such a terrified and out-of-breath voice.

• Like 1

At first she was moving as a brisk walk but then it turned into a run when she heard a voice call for help. Part of her began to panic as she was worried someone was going to be hurt by the time she got there so she pushed a bit more running. "I am coming" she yelled to giving the person who she heard calling to her a bit of hope that someone was coming. "Just hold on" she yelled as she pushed more. Nike children were known for their speed as they were faster than Hermes so it might be a bit alarming to see her coming in full blast to the area. That was when she saw it for herself, the scorpion had the girl corner. This was not good. 

Getting close she tried to make noise to get the monsters attention on her instead of the young girl who was there, but this did not always worked. Getting closer she nodded to the girl on the other side of the monster which realized it had another person to attack. "Come on you ugly beast, leave her alone!" Pulling her sword out from her side she knew it was going to be needed from this. That was when the monster attack!

The beast stumbled to an awkward halt between the two girls, it's multitude of eyes darting from one camper to the next. Emberlynn didn't speak scorpion, but she was fairly certain she could discern it's intentions well enough. Those eyes were hungry. Her blade shook in her hands, but she looked up to meet the thing's gaze. The trembling, colorful morsel, or the well-armed girl with a bit more meat on her bones... which to go for... In an instant, the monster made it's decision. The large stinger swung wide, knocking Emberlynn prone as the creature turned to lung at the larger (albeit more dangerous dinner. The thing reared it's head and lunged at the girl with two massive pincers.

This shouldn't be happening. The world seemed to slow in that moment. From her helpless position, Ember felt the shambling of the large body, the sharpness of the claws that - had the other camper not arrived - would likely be digging into her flesh. In her panic, she had called out for help. But now... now the brave camper who came to her aid was about to get hurt. Possibly killed. And there was nothing she could do. The teen was nowhere near prepared to watch someone die. It felt cowardly to avert her gaze, but what else could she do? The force of the monster's turn had sent her sprawling, and she neither had time to intervene in the strike, nor to scamble away like the weak little coward she was. Not like this. Not because of me...

"BACK OFF!!!" The cry that went out from the child reverberated through the forest, shocking even it's sender with it's ferocity. All of her fear, her desperation, her frustration with herself and with the world - all was released in two words. As if in answer, a blinding flash of light streaked down from the sky. The scorpion let out a screech, halting it's attack and stumbling backward in a blind daze. Lightning? And answer from the gods? Well, perhaps it was the latter. If it was lightning, however, it had left none of the telltale signs. There was no scorched earth, no fallen trees. The creature had been blinded, but by no means electrocuted.

There wasn't much time to think about such things though. Running on pure adrenaline now, the young teen scrambled to her feet. She once again brandished her weapon. Ember made eye contact with the other girl and nodded toward the monster. This was it - their chance to slay the blasted thing. Yet even as she strategized, she couldn't help but express her bewilderment. "What the hell was that!?!"

• Like 1

MK wanted to make a calculated decision on how to strike as she did not want to make it worse. This was not her normal way of thinking as she was one to jump right into battle. But her best friend and boyfriend Zoren who was a child of Athena. Sort of had an impression on her over the years. Teaching her that calculated strategy could help her to victory. So as she looked back from forth from the girl and the monster. There was a lot going through her mind. But the monster acted quicker than she had thought as it went after the girl who MK went to help. But as soon as it knocked her over it turned towards MK.

MK held her sword strong as the thing lunged at her with its pincers. Swinging her sword she made sure it knew that she meant business. The two of them were playing a dancing game of who could catch the other off guard first, when it happened. The monster knocked her sword out of her hand as she swung it a bit too loosely. As she stammered backwards she fell over looking a bit worried now. "Oh noooo" she said.  This was not good, not good at all. As the monster started to make its way towards her, MK closed her eyes as she thought this might be it. Her tragic life as a demi-god was over and one that would not be remembered too well.

Then hearing someone scream words that washed over her, she opened them to see that the girl that had been screaming for help was up. The light that came from the sky was a blinding one that made MK cover her face with her arm. The light was beautiful and powerful. One that made the monster screech in pain. She had only seen that ability in a few other campers before but did this girl cause it? Putting down her arm she pushed herself up quickly as the monster had been dazed. Picking up her sword she turned and saw the girls nod. "Let's do it" she said with so much determination. "That" she called as running towards the monster "Was an ability" she called as she stung to stab the monster. Hoping it would turn into dust once more. 

Gotcha. Emberlynn nodded toward her fellow combatant. The girl was right - there was no time for hesitation here. The monster was screeching now, swinging about blindly in a vain attempt at revenge. There was no telling how long their advantage would last. She ducked under a claw, circling the monster so that she was flanking it with the other girl. Her blade was unwieldy and she was untrained, but even little Ember knew to stick it with the pointy end. With another nod to the older camper, she charged forward. She hoped the other girl might do the same and pin the horrid thing between two sharp blades. She did not see what move the other chose to make though. The second her (or possibly both of their?) swords connected with its belly, the thing burst into a shower of yellow dust. The air filled with the smell of sulfur, and Ember dropped her weapon to rub the awful substance from her eyes.

"Arh," she coughed and spluttered. "Why must they smell so awful?!" During combat training she'd heard about dusting monsters, but nothing had prepared her for the sulfuric yellow shower. It took her a moment to gain her bearings, but once she did she looked up to see the other girl was still there. Ember spoke with a small voice, still very shaken from the encounter. "T-thank you... thank you so much!" She clung to the girl in a sudden and fearsome hug. "You saved my life!"

Realizing she'd just tackle-hugged a stranger without asking, the little camper released her grip. "That thing... I... I really thought I was going to die. That we were..." She recalled the strange flash that had given the two of them their opportunity. What had she called it? An ability? But where had it come from? The gods, perhaps, or maybe from the other girl. Yes, that had to be it since she knew what it was. Still, Ember couldn't shake that warm feeling still stirring inside of herself. "That's amazing that you can blind monsters like that!"

• Like 1

The monster had to die before it got its bearings and came for them once more. MK did not want a thing like what happened at the boundary line with Asher. NOPE, she did not need to get injured again as her career in gymnastics depended on her being able to keep herself injury free!!!! With a nod from the other camper, the two of them made their moves in sync as they killed the monster. Seeing the yellow dust fly into the air, she could not help but nervously laugh as it was done. They had defeated the monster!!!

"Who know.....but it is the worst" she said fanning the smell away from her nose.  With a look of disgust on her face as she turned to look at the girl to see if she was alright. It wasn't the easiest life being a demi-god as monsters loved to hunt them down and kill them. "Ohhhhh it was nothing" she laughed thinking how the girl also saved her when she fell down. But seeing that the girl was hugging her she began to laugh. "Hey now it is okay, you are alright and so am I" she said seeing the girl really for the first time. She couldn't not be older than 14 for sure....maybe younger? 

As the girl loosened her hug on MK, she stepped back with a smile. Putting her sword back in its place at her side. "Well that is one sucky thing we have to deal with being well half-bloods" she shrugged as MK was now 17 years old. There had been plenty of monsters that attacked her here and in the world outside of camp! "Ohhhhhh that wasn't me girl" she laughed as she was pointing to herself. "That was totally you with that power out of your hands" her finger now pointing towards the girls hands. 

"My... power...?" Emberlynn spoke slowly, looking down at her hands. Could that really be true? Life had been a whirlwind of new information since arriving to this place. First she'd learned that she was the child of a god and that monsters would be hunting her for potentially her entire life. Then she'd been claimed by Iris and went to live alone in a cabin, only to be immediately thrust into a combat-heavy game of Capture the Flag. And yet this must have been the most exciting development yet. The beautiful, powerful light... it came from Emberlynn? As difficult as it was to process, she also felt it had to be the truth. That warmth that had overtaken her was undeniable. In that moment of terror and emotion, something had shifted in her. She'd felt it. This must be the result. "That was... me..."

She still sounded dazed as she looked back up at her fighting partner. The warrior was only a few years older than the Iris camper, yet carried herself with so much more confidence and experience. How many of these things had she fought? She talked of winning battles so causally. Ember was in awe. The warrior princess image of herself she'd had in training was becoming more and more real, and she realized there must be many other people here who were worthy of the title. But this thing, ability, whatever it was? This was all hers. The girl looked up to the sky, wondering if Iris was smiling down on her. Probably not. But one could never really know.

"I suppose I've got a long way to go," she admitted. "It's not going to get any easier from here, is it? At least the camp serves as a safe haven for now. Speaking of which we'd best get back. Thank you again. I'm forever in your debt." She turned back toward the camp, her mind flooded with another world of new possibilities.

• Like 1

Nodding her head to the girls question she was for sure that it was the girl and not one of the God's that helped them. The light had come from the area of the girls hands which was in line with the ability of photokinesis which she had only seen from an apollo camper name eli. "Yeah If i remember right it is called photo...ummm.photokinesis I think" she finished saying looking like she was trying to concentrate on saying the name of it. The smile on MK's face was one of relief to know first off that the two of them were okay but then also that something good came out of this monster attack! "It is pretty cool" MK finished saying as he watched the girl. 

Living in Boston meant a lot of monsters came for her since she was around so much technology. It was as if her beaken was out for all of them to come and get her. This meant she had to be on her guard all the time when she wasn't at camp. Honestly coming to camp was the only rest she got. "Ohhhh don't worry about it. Let's go back together, I am McKayla by the way or you can call me MK" she smiled at the girl as she looked back towards the camp. Walking in that direction. 

Important Information

Terms of Use